Pennine Origin

Regular readers will know that I don't agree with playing 29 games a season (I think 24 tops).

I also think we need to leave room for representative games.  

Both these points also tie in with the World Cup at the end of the season, where we need a proper build up

Well I respectfully suggest that a Pennine Origin game or series would be viable.  For instance (and forgive me for using Wigan as an example) we might have Farrell v Bateman. Or Partington v Smithies. 

Or say Tomkins v Sargeson.  Or Knowles v Walmsley... 

There may be other interesting options. The point is there ought to be enough personalities to give us a game(s) to hype up. 

Or are you all too parochial? But surely however you can be positive?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Regular readers will know that I don't agree with playing 29 games a season (I think 24 tops).

I also think we need to leave room for representative games.  

Both these points also tie in with the World Cup at the end of the season, where we need a proper build up

Well I respectfully suggest that a Pennine Origin game or series would be viable.  For instance (and forgive me for using Wigan as an example) we might have Farrell v Bateman. Or Partington v Smithies. 

Or say Tomkins v Sargeson.  Or Knowles v Walmsley... 

There may be other interesting options. The point is there ought to be enough personalities to give us a game(s) to hype up. 

Or are you all too parochial? But surely however you can be positive?

I’ve often thought that would be a good idea, if it could get support and momentum, but agreed fitting it in would be difficult. 

Personally I think next season should be about England internationally if we are going to do anything out of the norm it would need to be warm up games. It would be nice to sell out the 3 group games and future internationals before even considering Yorks Vs Lancs. With the amount of overseas imports and the importance as a business for professional club RL I personally feel coaches will be reluctant to release players. Would you want your star player doing an ACL in a game between Yorks vs Lancs played in front of 7,100 (England Knights last attendance) at Headingley? It would need serious investment and be the pinicle of a players career and be held in higher prestige than getting a NRL contract or playing for England which are the current marker. 

11 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d like to see the border for this drawn on a map that separates Barrow (Knowles) from Dewsbury (Walmsley) and Milton Keynes (Tomkins) and Perth, Western Australia (Sarginson). 

Knowles from Walmsley would be easy. The North West is a region which includes Cumbria, so North West vs Yorkshire and the Humber would solve that.

Anyone outside those regions could be placed in a draft and picked by NW or Yorkshire if wanted/needed 

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Knowles from Walmsley would be easy. The North West is a region which includes Cumbria, so North West vs Yorkshire and the Humber would solve that.

Anyone outside those regions could be placed in a draft and picked by NW or Yorkshire if wanted/needed 

What a woeful idea. Can’t wait to see Ligi Sao line up for Lancashire. It won’t be tinpot in the slightest. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What a woeful idea. Can’t wait to see Ligi Sao line up for Lancashire. It won’t be tinpot in the slightest. 

What are you talking about?

I was referring to Tomkins and Sarginson. I'll make it a bit clearer for you. 

Any English player either born or raised outside the NW or Yorkshire could be placed into a draft

How does this differ from the Roses Origin/War of the Roses series/one-off games we had a while back?

London had players turn out for both Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was about to say this thread is a bit early this year i.e. pre-GF but then realised the clocks have already gone back... 

... why are we so nostalgic to always try to reinvent the past in this sport... even if the previous nostalgics concepts were proven failures?!

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

What are you talking about?

I was referring to Tomkins and Sarginson. I'll make it a bit clearer for you. 

Any English player either born or raised outside the NW or Yorkshire could be placed into a draft

And that’s still a woeful idea. Can you imagine Sam Tomkins, someone who grew up in Wigan, playing for Yorkshire because his parent(s) happened to be in Milton Keynes for whatever reason when he was born. Or Tom Johnstone playing for Lancashire. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

And that’s still a woeful idea. Can you imagine Sam Tomkins, someone who grew up in Wigan, playing for Yorkshire because his parent(s) happened to be in Milton Keynes for whatever reason when he was born. Or Tom Johnstone playing for Lancashire. 

I think you're getting confused. I said anyone born or RAISED. Tomkins was raised in Wigan so would qualify for NW. I'm not sure what you mean about Johnstone. I thought he was from Yorkshire

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Chris Thorman was from that little Yorkshire hamlet, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 

Dom Peters from London, Lancs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So a load of nonsensical rulings then? Nonsense. 

I'm stepping out of this now. It's hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn't seem to understand

Just have a look at State of Origin rules. Don't waste your time replying. I've got better things to do than argue on a forum. It's just a bit of fun.

Have a good day

Bottom line is do we want the cream of the crop to be put into a representative environment more often? Absolutely. We have enough promising youngsters mixed with seasoned internationals to provide a very competitive series which will ultimately help the England national side improve (and maybe other home nations hopefully). 

What format that takes I am open to suggestions but I personally would rather watch the best of the best play each other in a series then Hull V Salford 3 times a season!  Keep the club game to home and away only.

Less quantity and more quality.

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'm stepping out of this now. It's hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn't seem to understand

Just have a look at State of Origin rules. Don't waste your time replying. I've got better things to do than argue on a forum. It's just a bit of fun.

Have a good day

I bet you don’t. See you soon.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Have a good day

I understand what you’re saying, it’s just daft. As is the Origin rules. We literally don’t have to copy everything they do or resurrect ###### ideas from the past that didn’t work first time around. 

Looking forward to seeing Theo Fages play for Lancashire. Ten years here must qualify him. 

I like the idea because beating Yorkshire at sport is funny and also it would be a useful workout for our most elite players in between proper internationals.

I’d rather England played although no other team in the Northern Hemisphere is competitive with them so it would have to be a touring team from the Southern Hemisphere which is difficult to organise due to NRL commitments.

Maybe while Lancashire face Yorkshire you could also organise Wales vs France and Ireland vs Scotland.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Considering the design of this by the OP is to assist the England National team in preperation of the WC, to enable everyone of the hopefuls to perform and not tied by birthright have a Possibles v Probables series.

I take your point, but its not a good idea to have the possibles win is it?

I called it a Pennine Origin for a reason.  To mix up the players and see who shows up as the best, and have a "mate v mate match up.  And not make it purely Lancs v Yorks.

As someone had said up thread, the Aussie rules are quite convoluted when it comes to the word "origin". 

I also implored people to be positive.

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Yorkshire and the Humber ?

How many players were born in a river ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I think you're getting confused. I said anyone born or RAISED. Tomkins was raised in Wigan so would qualify for NW. I'm not sure what you mean about Johnstone. I thought he was from Yorkshire

It was Chorley, I think?

Archived