Pennine Origin

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I like the idea because beating Yorkshire at sport is funny and also it would be a useful workout for our most elite players in between proper internationals.

I’d rather England played although no other team in the Northern Hemisphere is competitive with them so it would have to be a touring team from the Southern Hemisphere which is difficult to organise due to NRL commitments.

Maybe while Lancashire face Yorkshire you could also organise Wales vs France and Ireland vs Scotland.

Ireland v Scotland would be Yorkshire B v Lancashire B - would rather watch paint dry. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Considering the design of this by the OP is to assist the England National team in preperation of the WC, to enable everyone of the hopefuls to perform and not tied by birthright have a Possibles v Probables series.

England v England Knights would be a good watch for the Rugby League fan, I imagine, though I’m not sure how you sell that to a broadcaster, which matters as much as the game itself these days. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England v England Knights would be a good watch for the Rugby League fan, I imagine, though I’m not sure how you sell that to a broadcaster, which matters as much as the game itself these days. 

I’d just spend the whole game hoping nobody got injured. 

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England v England Knights is a terrible idea. Why not use France and have an actual International game.

2 hours ago, boris74 said:

Bottom line is do we want the cream of the crop to be put into a representative environment more often? Absolutely. We have enough promising youngsters mixed with seasoned internationals to provide a very competitive series which will ultimately help the England national side improve (and maybe other home nations hopefully). 

What format that takes I am open to suggestions but I personally would rather watch the best of the best play each other in a series then Hull V Salford 3 times a season!  Keep the club game to home and away only.

Less quantity and more quality.

So why keep playing Hull v Salford 3 times a season if you’re planning to reduce the season and add in reps?

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

England v England Knights is a terrible idea. Why not use France and have an actual International game.

Because nobody wants to see England absolutely dick an inferior nation, like France. The average tonking we’ve give them over the last six games has been by 42 points. They’re a joke and we learn less than nothing playing them. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In that case have

England Knights v France 

England v Southern Hemisphere Nations 

The Exiles concept, which this is, was woeful, nobody liked it, attendances fell off a cliff and players rightfully ducked out of the terrible concept. 

So what about something really new. 

Old v Young....

Age 27 and over V Age 26 and Under

Really split the household.

pre match is - Young mouthy bastars giving it all that to the old codgers - and - Wise owls promising to give the younguns a good spanking.

It could be Owls v Pups.

When a former Pup, gets his first Owl call up, he gets a graduation ceremony.

As someone who started watching International Rugby League in the mid 80's and literally has never seen Great Britain or England win a series or major final against the Kangaroos I still anticipate these games more than any other when they do come round and I felt hugely disappointed when it seemed like the Aussies became less enthusiastic to play these games because 'there was a huge gulf in class' and so a pointless exercise.

And yet we are now essentially saying the same thing to France despite the test matches in France attracting 14k or 16k when we can be bothered to go over and play them.

Why are we so obsessed with matching the correct teams against each other.  Let's just play more internationals, you never know, they may give us some decent entertainment - you know like the last 100+ years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Ummm, first point of order please...

is this all planned for the end of season or middle?

?

?

hello.... hmph, looks like the OP has ducked out for a bit.

Whats your idea then?  Just moan?

Based on a 12 team League I would have 24 (max) games with 2 Magics... one at the start of the season and one as Round24. The first based on last seasons positions and the last based on positions half way.

Play the Origin(s) roughly half way, or after the Cup Final.  (and we could play a charity game against France before the Cup Final but not selecting any Finalists)   Or one third in or two thirds in... whatever suits.

24 Rounds max, no matter what number of teams.  If 14plus have a 6 team play-off as now using Macintire System.

How many more suggestions do you want?  Or should we all just shrivell up and die?

Next year, IMHO, is our best opportunity to try something different. The best case scenario of fans being allowed back in March is not going to be gates thrown open and for it to be a free for all, there’s likely to be restrictions on numbers for some time, so with a reduced capacity, we’ve probably got less to lose than we would if we were opening all of a stadium. 

If trying different things means an International Nines Weekend, England playing whoever, be it a nation or some sort of rep team thrown together, so be it but I hope the game at least attempts something unusual or out of the ordinary while we have the chance to. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, move on and do something else. 

Archived