Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

What is a superleague standard stadium? The overall capacity of the Sheffield OLP stadium is listed at 3,900. Looking at the site, it doesn't look like it could accommodate much more than that, unless you're talking about multi tier stands, which I don't think anyone is. 

So if Sheffield went up, at best they could accommodate about 5000 on that site, even with extra works. But that's enough to meet current standards for entry. 

If you think they need more than that, then it's a ground share with one of the football clubs. 

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/FACILITYSTANDARDS2016 final PDF.pdf 

• Thanks 1

On 31/10/2020 at 11:40, Robin Evans said:

I genuinely believe that when the ovoid tubster bounces into retirement, sheffield will cease to be a rugby club shortly after. Richie P may wish to inform/comment/correct my opinion.

Aston, an irritating gobby little grub on the pitch but you've got to admire his contribution to the game.

Ian Annis was another unsung community hero who put loads into keeping rugby alive in the city. Another good bloke gone way too soon.

I would say that that is a fair possibility sadly.. however, there are amateur clubs in the city and i think there is a small but strong set of supporters who you may find someone in the future who can step up to help out Mark. He does take a lot on, sometimes i do wonder if that is more down to him not wanting people to help out rather than there being no offers.. 

Honestly i do think sheffield needs a few years at a "home" and this will suffice we dont need anything too shiny and big, and frankly we'd never get it. If we can build a base we can then build off that with some proper thinking. That then could bring more people out of the woodwork. IF we ever got back to Super League we can cross that bridge then to be honest. It will just be nice to have a home that is a bit more of a stadium than it is now!

As for the build i am normally out there every few months at the National Centre of Excellence for Food Engineering which is just over the road but due to COVID the meetings i normally have there are happening remotely so i havent been out and havent seen how things are going.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RP London said:

Honestly i do think sheffield needs a few years at a "home" and this will suffice we dont need anything too shiny and big, and frankly we'd never get it. If we can build a base we can then build off that with some proper thinking. That then could bring more people out of the woodwork. IF we ever got back to Super League we can cross that bridge then to be honest. It will just be nice to have a home that is a bit more of a stadium than it is now!

Do you get many supporters from West Sheffield RP, or are they generally from nearer the ground? 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you get many supporters from West Sheffield RP, or are they generally from nearer the ground? 

To be honest i havent got a clue.. I would just be guessing if i were to try.. the one thing i would probably guess at though is that not many would be from around the ground as it is a bit more industrial/retail park rather than housing. There does seem to be good support around the "greater Hillsborough" area and they often hold "events" (or certainly used to) at the dog track at owlerton and also the New Barrack Tavern which is Hillsborough way.

With a tram stop right next to the ground it is relatively easy to get to (if you are on the tram network).. 

There is certainly potential to exploit but its just the ability to exploit it that is questionable.. and needing a "nice stadium" will help that.. and an extended run playing there etc.

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

There is certainly potential to exploit but its just the ability to exploit it that is questionable.. and needing a "nice stadium" will help that.. and an extended run playing there etc.

Yes hopefully will help! I lived in Sheffield for four years in the 90s and there was definitely some interest in the Eagles Around the city then, when they were doing well. What happened next is one of the great tragedies of rugby league, should never have been allowed to happen. 

• Like 1

If Eagles do manage to get the ground fitted out to a reasonable standard they should try to average 1300/1500 regular home supporters.They could draw on the large population of students from the citys 2 Universities.Ask WED or United to offer members a free ticket to a Eagles game some might even like it even if you only get a handfull going to Eagles games its extra revenue.However until i am no longer able to drive i will continue travelling from Sheffield to Fev for my rugby League.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 12:43, GUBRATS said:

And that would achieve what ? 

Realistically just when will they have a SL standard stadium ? , It's no good saying they ' could or did ' draw 10,000 but can only fit 1,000 in 

How many other Championship clubs could you ask the same question of?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 31/10/2020 at 11:01, sentoffagain2 said:

Retail ! after this Pandemic no one will have any spare cash to spend.It will be like when i was young,no new shoes put cardboard inside when they let the wet in.Or polish ones feet and lace your toes up.Wheldon Road has the space to be redeveloped costing much less than a new stadium.Down the main wooden stand side full length  and behind the sticks at the railway end both fully seated.All Hospitality,  changing rooms, gym ,and fitness facilities built into the length.

If they stay at Wheldon Rd could the possibly make the pitch a full sized one?

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

If they stay at Wheldon Rd could the possibly make the pitch a full sized one?

There would be plenty of room to do that.Fev extended the length of our pitch when the Club Volunteers constructed the stand at the railway end.Wonder what away supporters think about the stand built by our magnificent club volunteers, at a fraction of the price we would have had to pay a company to do it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

There would be plenty of room to do that.Fev extended the length of our pitch when the Club Volunteers constructed the stand at the railway end.

The railway's a bit further away from the dead ball line at Fev.

Maybe Cas could ask Railtrack to slew the railway over into the cemetery.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• 6 months later...
On 02/11/2020 at 11:28, Eddie said:

i thought he lived near Hillsborough

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who? 

the supporter

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

This was posted just over a week ago

They are doing a weekly update on the building works on social media which is interesting. Slowly but surely... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...