Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Snide remark aside, I live in Spain. If you have an issue with someone giving an opinion on an opinion board,  you can use the mute function.

Ok if you live in Spain that may explain a little bit (not a snide remark), also do you have school age kids (again not a snide remark). I only ask because from my experience school is different now to how it was "in my day" so if you arent in the UK and dont have kids of school age you may not be seeing how it is at the moment. 

Living in Sheffield with 2 school age kids (one at primary school) the "bussing kids to the venue" is a very very rare thing they do, basically because they need volunteer parents and because it will probably end up as an all day event. What my daughter gets at the moment is a friday where Sheffield United go into the school and do some football coaching. They have had Hockey come in and a few others. Eagles used to do similar I believe in some schools and may still do so (we are not the "catchment" side of the city as such so not sure if they do). 

They could do a lot more and they need to extend this "catchment" which I would guess is part of the DOs remit. The RU club i coach is not the traditional "i hate league" style club, in fact when me and a couple of mates started a club we played a few games out of the club and there are a lot who enjoy both and go to the eagles games. Some of the "Rugby Masterclasses" run by Jack Howeison and QLT in the summer (under their own company) are very much aimed at both codes... We train through the summer and Eagles coming out to run a session could be interesting but as far as I know is not something ever been tried (something I may well contact them about to be honest). There are some kids i have been trying to persuade to try out league as they would be more suited and, if nothing else, eagles could scout them. 

Eagles do do community work, they are out and about but they could be a lot more and I am sure a DO will make a big difference. She is only just in post though so give it time. The RU club has just hired a DO and getting into Schools is very difficult at the moment. But the schools will not be pro active towards doing this sort of thing, they are very much concentrating on education and in the next year it will be catching up (and as a parent that is right). The clubs need to be pro active and get into schools, if they run a PE class/session then its one less thing for the school/teacher to worry about which will be good. Taking the kids away for a day was rare before the pandemic, i would guess (with the exception of residentials, which have a wider education role anyway) these sorts of trips will be cut down on even more. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just as another update i've contacted the RU club and they are open to discussing it this weekend and see what the reaction of the junior age groups would be for me to then contact eagles.. but they seem open to the idea which would be great IMHO. (also may convince my son to make the switch which i think would be ideal for him.. and will come at some point).

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Ok yep I remember now they no longer play in Sheffield but are still operational. Apologies. 

Is Chesterfield a long term relationship or are they just waiting for the stadium to be built and then they'll move back? 

This year they are playing at bramall lane but last season played at Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park on the Park’s 3G pitch. and they are saying 

The new home for Sheffield United Women sees them positioned as the only women’s football club in the country that does not have to share a stadium with either their male counterparts or academy teams.

16 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Will Sheffield Eagles be the only tenant then? Last I heard the Sheffield United ladies team who were supposed to be the key tenant were no longer operational. Is that still the case? 

According to Sheffield United Women

It is also home to Sheffield Eagles Rugby League Football Club and used by students from UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park campus and Oasis Academy Don Valley.

Finally do people really think that the eagles moving into the Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park will awaken the dormant love of rugby league in the masses in and around sheffield

29 minutes ago, POR said:

Finally do people really think that the eagles moving into the Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park will awaken the dormant love of rugby league in the masses in and around sheffield

I don't think anyone would or has said that. The key is that playing in Doncaster, Wakefield etc certainly didn't help and playing at the OLP as it was with a marquee and trestle tables for "club shop" hardly help sells the sport to either supporters or sponsors. 

Having a good stadium at the OLP will help kick start the Eagles and will give it a home, something that is important in moving the club forward. Since DVS was demolished Eagles have been on a hiding to nothing when they are trying to sell the club because who knew where they would be the next year. Therefore it has gone backwards, the fact it is still around and still in the championship, I believe, is a feat in its own right.

There is an interest in RL in the city, its not huge by any stretch but we have amateur clubs and junior clubs in the area now that are growing. If they can tap into that thats a start, it also isnt a city with an RU culture, as such, so you're not fighting against that.

But they are starting pretty much from scratch and I dont think anyone would say otherwise. The OLP though will undoubtedly make it easier however that is not to say it will be easy.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On the final one no because it is a new generation. I think most people are unaware which is the advantage. I think the momentum from a  world cup game and new facilities can be harnessed to get 1500 a game average.

This sums the situation in Sheffield up (courtesy of the statistical legend that is @RayCee). Even in their prime when they were getting a lot of exposure in the local media the Eagles were only getting 4K in, and it’s been years since they averaged over 1,000. 
https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/09/historical-elite-level-attendance_90.html?m=1

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On the final one no because it is a new generation. I think most people are unaware which is the advantage. I think the momentum from a  world cup game and new facilities can be harnessed to get 1500 a game average.

For me this is something they have to work hard to exploit. I am taking a group of mates with kids and know of others.. they are coming not because its RL but because its a world cup (though some in the group have really enjoyed watching international RL when i have got them in the pub at the same time, and are coming to the odd match and magic weekend now). I know others who have bought tickets for them and their kids, just because it is a world cup (it could have been any sport). 

For me i would make sure schools had access to tickets for it too (not sure whether they expect a sell out, i doubt it, and if not get some tickets to schools). 

But Eagles must then get some of those in to the ground, free tickets for kids for the first few matches of next season or whatever it may be, discount code for tickets/season ticket sent out with your world cup tickets (printed on your world cup ticket), flyers given out as you enter the ground with discount codes and info for next season etc etc etc.. Its a one off chance to do this. 

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

For me this is something they have to work hard to exploit. I am taking a group of mates with kids and know of others.. they are coming not because its RL but because its a world cup (though some in the group have really enjoyed watching international RL when i have got them in the pub at the same time, and are coming to the odd match and magic weekend now). I know others who have bought tickets for them and their kids, just because it is a world cup (it could have been any sport). 

For me i would make sure schools had access to tickets for it too (not sure whether they expect a sell out, i doubt it, and if not get some tickets to schools). 

But Eagles must then get some of those in to the ground, free tickets for kids for the first few matches of next season or whatever it may be, discount code for tickets/season ticket sent out with your world cup tickets (printed on your world cup ticket), flyers given out as you enter the ground with discount codes and info for next season etc etc etc.. Its a one off chance to do this. 

Agreed, I’m going to one of the QFs with eight lads from Norfolk, only one of whom has been to a RL game before and that was the double header WC semi final in 2013. It’s only happening because it’s the World Cup. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

From september should be fine. If the pitch is free maybe Eagles can get a sponsor for the bus

It wasn't unknown for kids to be taken to DVS but it was rare.  Kids should be learning stuff at school - whether that's sport or sums - not touring the city in buses.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, RP London said:

I don't think anyone would or has said that. The key is that playing in Doncaster, Wakefield etc certainly didn't help and playing at the OLP as it was with a marquee and trestle tables for "club shop" hardly help sells the sport to either supporters or sponsors. 

Having a good stadium at the OLP will help kick start the Eagles and will give it a home, something that is important in moving the club forward. Since DVS was demolished Eagles have been on a hiding to nothing when they are trying to sell the club because who knew where they would be the next year. Therefore it has gone backwards, the fact it is still around and still in the championship, I believe, is a feat in its own right.

There is an interest in RL in the city, its not huge by any stretch but we have amateur clubs and junior clubs in the area now that are growing. If they can tap into that thats a start, it also isnt a city with an RU culture, as such, so you're not fighting against that.

But they are starting pretty much from scratch and I dont think anyone would say otherwise. The OLP though will undoubtedly make it easier however that is not to say it will be easy.

That's great news RPL  people playing and enjoying the game in sheffield but will that turn them into eagles supporters or will they be like lots of people across the country who only support teams they see winning things on the tele despite having a local club to support

10 minutes ago, POR said:

That's great news RPL  people playing and enjoying the game in sheffield but will that turn them into eagles supporters or will they be like lots of people across the country who only support teams they see winning things on the tele despite having a local club to support

who knows.. but the more Eagles have a home in the city and the more they get out into the community the more chance they have.. 

Either way you can support a Super League team and Eagles (as i do). both my son and i support both eagles and warrington (for family reasons) and we get to as many Eagles games as we can and when its possible to watch Wire we do. We both have shirts of both but if Eagles played Warrington I would prefer Eagles to win. Its not a competition to take people away from other clubs (that would be self defeating) its about saying, "thats fine but come and watch us too, live Rugby League is better than watching on TV". With that comes better, well informed, gates which then encourages more which becomes a virtuous circle. But without any of what is happening then RL will never grow in the city.. 

Any support is better than 0 support, any expansion is better than 0 expansion and any fan turning up is better than no fans turning up.

The more watching and playing the better no matter who they support, but if eagles can get out and say to anyone, "why not pop along and have a watch" then they have a chance of getting them back in the next time, if they dont get them through the gate the first time they have less chance.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff said:

It wasn't unknown for kids to be taken to DVS but it was rare.  Kids should be learning stuff at school - whether that's sport or sums - not touring the city in buses.

As a primary school teacher, I completely disagree.

Children learn more when they can link what they study to real life situations and experiences - "Capital Culture" is the buzz phrase. By taking kids out on trips to places, they are learning where things are, how to get there, what it feels like to be there, and many other experiences that are far more likely to have a long lasting impact on them then Joe Bloggs from the Sheffield Eagles development team popping in to do a few skills sessions with them.

Things like this are invaluable to children from deprived areas who probably haven't been as far as their street with mum and/or dad except the very rare occasion, thus developing no capital culture and thus struggling to retain the information they learn at school as they have little experience to attach it to.

• Like 4
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, langpark said:

Will this be ready for the start of next season? 

If the stadium development at York is anything to go by then it must be doubtful.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 31/10/2020 at 11:01, sentoffagain2 said:

Retail ! after this Pandemic no one will have any spare cash to spend.It will be like when i was young,no new shoes put cardboard inside when they let the wet in.Or polish ones feet and lace your toes up.Wheldon Road has the space to be redeveloped costing much less than a new stadium.Down the main wooden stand side full length  and behind the sticks at the railway end both fully seated.All Hospitality,  changing rooms, gym ,and fitness facilities built into the length.

Building new costs less than refurbishment.

• Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/