Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

On 17/10/2021 at 13:37, ShropshireBull said:

At least it is going up.  Very positive for Eagles and other championship club in a big city putting the infrastructure in place. 

Massive investment by the Eagles.  🕵️‍♂️

Now I'm just waiting to hear Tubby moaning about the rent.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Bet its done before C@$ un wakeys NEW grounds.

What Fev did getting the old stands from Scarborough(i think it was), and having volunteers who were experts at each job needed too rebuild them was first class. I was wondering if Cas could’ve done the same, or were they confident that they’d be moving on from Wheldon Road ?. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

What Fev did getting the old stands from Scarborough(i think it was), and having volunteers who were experts at each job needed too rebuild them was first class. I was wondering if Cas could’ve done the same, or were they confident that they’d be moving on from Wheldon Road ?. 

Thank you they were brilliant, i belive Cas were hoping for a ground near the Freeport shopping complex next to M62 but that never materialised then across the road there was going to be another complex but due to covid and M & S deciding not to build that fell through as well. Also they wanted money from the Wakefield Council to fund one. I may be wrong on some of this but that's what we  were led to belive round here. If anyone knows differently feel free to correct me.With the millions from Sky over the years they could have done Wheldon Road up, their history is there and its a decent ground just needs doing up.

• Like 2

Sheffield deserve vastly more praise than Castleford.

Castleford have wasted millions on merely surviving another year and have nothing to show for it. If SL had accepted PE money,Castleford would have been the first to be kicked out. Their ground was not fit for purpose in 1970 and effectively nothing has been done to improve it since. Shameful.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

By increasing the capacity.  Because they would need to.  Not sure why anyone who wants RL to do well or likes a pint wouldnt want Eagles flying high tbh. 

I asked how they would increase capacity and your answer: "by increasing capacity". Genius.

As for needing 5k, that's absolutely delusional. 

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

By increasing the capacity.  Because they would need to.  Not sure why anyone who wants RL to do well or likes a pint wouldnt want Eagles flying high tbh. 

What gibberish is this?

You just say the capacity is 5000 and everybody says "Aye, that's grand then"?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Castleford have wasted millions on merely surviving another year and have nothing to show for it. If SL had accepted PE money,Castleford would have been the first to be kicked out. Their ground was not fit for purpose in 1970 and effectively nothing has been done to improve it since. Shameful.

It is fit for purpose, 8,000 people go to watch their games and enjoy it. I’m sure everyone at Cas would agree it should be better but building stadiums is an expensive business, you can’t just magic one out of a hat; if they stopped spending money on the team to do it they wouldn’t need a new stadium in league one. 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

They would have to build another stand to increase capacity.  Since Eagles are years away from this being a problem and will have to spend several years trying to build a fan base around the 2000 mark I dont think this is a serious concern. 

They are finally getting a long term home with a new stand and it is another positive developement.

You forget that, eight years ago, when Sheffield last actually had a stadium, they'd just won back-to-back Championships backed by an average attendance of substantially less than 2000.

Anyway, the inference was that they'd get into the top four and increase their capacity for the following week's play-off game. 

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, cookey said:

Apparently the main stand as got asbestos in it with it being so old but it must be safe as they use it.

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

It is fit for purpose, 8,000 people go to watch their games and enjoy it. I’m sure everyone at Cas would agree it should be better but building stadiums is an expensive business, you can’t just magic one out of a hat; if they stopped spending money on the team to do it they wouldn’t need a new stadium in league one. 

Building stadiums is an expensive business, you can’t just magic one out of a hat; if they stopped spending money on the team to do it they wouldn’t need a new stadium in league 1.

I agree with you on that.  I assume that some are criticising Wigan for not owning their own stadium  so that the Warriors end up in League 1.  I'm not a fan of old stadiums such as Wheldon Rd and I prefer the DW to Central Park any day, but it's a question of balance. I'd rather see a successful Cas (wash my mouth out with soap and water 😀) at their current location  than a failing one in a state-of-the-art palace...as long as there is a plan in place.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Building stadiums is an expensive business, you can’t just magic one out of a hat; if they stopped spending money on the team to do it they wouldn’t need a new stadium in league 1.

I agree with you on that.  I assume that some are criticising Wigan for not owning their own stadium  so that the Warriors end up in League 1.  I'm not a fan of old stadiums such as Wheldon Rd and I prefer the DW to Central Park any day, but it's a question of balance. I'd rather see a successful Cas (wash my mouth out with soap and water 😀) at their current location  than a failing one in a state-of-the-art palace...as long as there is a plan in place.

There's been a plan in place for 25 years and it finds its way out when ground criteria gets talked about.

Think Sheffield's stadium was due to be ready for Feb next year.Although that would only be the first phase with a capacity of 2500.Then in time that could be extended to 3900.Which would be OK for The Championship.I think it may be slightly delayed as the progress has been quite slow considering construction workers have worked through the Pandemic.The ground will be shared by Eagles,Sheff United ladies and a Sheffield American Football team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Apparently the main stand as got asbestos in it with it being so old but it must be safe as they use it.

Asbestos is absolutely fine in buildings as it only becomes unsafe if you disturb it (remove it, break it up etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Asbestos is absolutely fine in buildings as it only becomes unsafe if you disturb it (remove it, break it up etc)

Which is what happens when the building's demolished, which requires special precautions to stop any asbestos escaping and very expensive sealed landfill - costs a fortune as our local tennis club's found with their quite small clubhouse proposal.

8 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Which is what happens when the building's demolished, which requires special precautions to stop any asbestos escaping and very expensive sealed landfill - costs a fortune as our local tennis club's found with their quite small clubhouse proposal.

Won't cost that much for a stands roof mate, especially compared to all the other costs of a stadium or new stand.

The consultant and Architects costs would be 20x or 30x the cost of removing asbestos from a stadium like Castleford.

Edited by Mr Frisky
Predictive toxt

• 2 weeks later...