Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Council I think but in many ways at least it is a secure long term home with chances to grow a club with youth coaching and a decent area for commercial and hospitality.  

Did you copy and past that from when Salford were moving to the  AJ Bell stadium?

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Council I think but in many ways at least it is a secure long term home with chances to grow a club with youth coaching and a decent area for commercial and hospitality.  

But no income 

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Who knows - there are plenty of ways to structure a tenancy.

In fairness the Eagles have never been in a position to milk income from any stadium , so no real change for them , as I put at the begining of this thread " it's a start " 

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

York arent owners but get to make hospitality income.  Its actually poor practise from councils not to allow as there is zero incentiveto sweat the asset or create experiences that create regular customers. 

Leigh used to make more hospitality income at Hilton Park than they do at the LSV , by the time the stadium management co put everything together ( the food is nowhere near as good as we had at HP ) there's not much the club can lump on and still keep costs reasonable 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This is an issue definitely.  Halifax get nowt as well I think.  Just hugely disincentives getting new fans or events to get New fans if you cant boost the income.  

Sheffield have probably made nowt for a long time though. Fev are great at it, York now can consistently do it and I hope they get a gd challenge cup draw to clean up.  Newcastle own ground so they can sell. 

No idea about Bulls,  cant imagine we have an entincing offer but hopefully with trax in our costs are at least spread. 

I've done corporate at Odslum.  It's quite good, apart from the view.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

This is an issue definitely.  Halifax get nowt as well I think.  Just hugely disincentives getting new fans or events to get New fans if you cant boost the income.  

Sheffield have probably made nowt for a long time though. Fev are great at it, York now can consistently do it and I hope they get a gd challenge cup draw to clean up.  Newcastle own ground so they can sell. 

No idea about Bulls,  cant imagine we have an entincing offer but hopefully with trax in our costs are at least spread. 

It shouldn't disincentive getting more fans ,the 15/20 quid from a ticket is still most clubs biggest income stream , yes hospitality can help and is essentially a necessary to try to entice future sponsors to be involved with clubs ( offering a crappy pie and a plastic glass of Carling/Carlsberg/Fosters stood out in the wind and rain isn't going to swing it for many ) 

Me harping on again but many clubs make next to nothing out of merchandise , I offered some of them a much better idea a decade ago , but ego and lack of foresight got in the way of that 🙄

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It shouldn't disincentive getting more fans ,the 15/20 quid from a ticket is still most clubs biggest income stream , yes hospitality can help and is essentially a necessary to try to entice future sponsors to be involved with clubs ( offering a crappy pie and a plastic glass of Carling/Carlsberg/Fosters stood out in the wind and rain isn't going to swing it for many ) 

Me harping on again but many clubs make next to nothing out of merchandise , I offered some of them a much better idea a decade ago , but ego and lack of foresight got in the way of that 🙄

What's your idea? 

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Presumably the rent paid is reduced by considerations of the income the stadium gets for concession sales when deals are negotiated - so the impact of offerings and sales do benefit the club, even if not £ for £ and directly.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Presumably the rent paid is reduced by considerations of the income the stadium gets for concession sales when deals are negotiated - so the impact of offerings and sales do benefit the club, even if not £ for £ and directly.

Indeed , the LSV was built for SL , not for the lower tiers , at a certain point the stadium would start to pay the club to play there , rather than charge a rent , which is why numbers through the turnstiles needs to be the main focus IMO , which is why I am not really in favour of an essentially non paying TV deal 

17 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What's your idea? 

It was for the non SL clubs to contribute to the setting up of their own merchandise company , if they had done it and worked hard to make it a success , they'd all have been drawing close to or over a six figure income per year from it by now ,all IMO if course 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was for the non SL clubs to contribute to the setting up of their own merchandise company , if they had done it and worked hard to make it a success , they'd all have been drawing close to or over a six figure income per year from it by now ,all IMO if course 

I think it's a good idea.

I'm always amazed (disappointed) that the clubs don't share information about what works for them.

If say Warrington pioneered a local method of raising a few quid, it wouldn't hurt them to tell the other clubs how its done and vice versa.

But they see each other as deadly enemies, so information is closely guarded.

It's so small minded. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Good idea Gubruts.

Of course the sensible thought is co-operation and consolidation, especially in a crisis like now. My own considerations are unified academies and merchandising deals. But if anything can be said about the RL "family" is that it doesn't do "together" but prefers discord, especially the Big clubs.

Back to Sheffield. 

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/our-club/new-stadium/

It seems that stand will hold 788 seats. There seems to be a generous space given to "Charlie Bubbles" behind a screen hospitality there. Any numbers?

Whatever, it looks good. Seems to be designed and built well and with thought unlike say the AJ Bell stadium. Ten minutes walk from the tram station too.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I don't think that "the council" will actually be the owners although precise details are tricky to uncover. Given how they got burned by the Don Valley development I can't see them taking on the potential liabilities of another stadium. It is classed as a community stadium but is a part of a much bigger development with Scarborough International Properties being the main developers. No doubt it will be a separate entity with different shareholders, possibly something like the Salford model is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Says online council own it but Scaraborough group are the operators.  

Link?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

30 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thanks.

I suspect that there is an ownership vehicle as the owners are shown as the council, Sheffield Hallam University and Legacy Park Ltd. As I suggested I can't see the council leaving themselves exposed to the same legacy costs as the Don Valley has generated.

29 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thanks.

I suspect that there is an ownership vehicle as the owners are shown as the council, Sheffield Hallam University and Legacy Park Ltd. As I suggested I can't see the council leaving themselves exposed to the same legacy costs as the Don Valley has generated.

Hallam University and Sheffield Hospitals have invested in Sports Science which will be in the adjoining complex as you say there are quite a few different agencies involved.

• Like 1

If Sheffield can tap into the University and copy what Newcastle did with Northumbria in terms of attracting players and coaching it would be a boost. 

Sheffield need to replicate what Newcastle have done by introducing more schools to RL and being more active in the community 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

York arent owners but get to make hospitality income.  Its actually poor practise from councils not to allow as there is zero incentiveto sweat the asset or create experiences that create regular customers. 

But how much income ? 

35 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Sheffield need to replicate what Newcastle have done by introducing more schools to RL and being more active in the community 

All clubs should be doing more than they do , IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1