Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

17 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Sheffield need to replicate what Newcastle have done by introducing more schools to RL and being more active in the community 

They've been massively hampered by not being in the city for the past decade

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They've been massively hampered by not being in the city for the past decade

25 years ago eagles were sending players into the schools to coach R.L.Our young un used to turn up for games lessons in his Fev shirt.The coaches gave him a bit a stick over that.Any kids good enough were offered a place training with Hillsborough Hawks.

3 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

25 years ago eagles were sending players into the schools to coach R.L.Our young un used to turn up for games lessons in his Fev shirt.The coaches gave him a bit a stick over that.Any kids good enough were offered a place training with Hillsborough Hawks.

25 years ago, the players were full time employees.

Going into the schools still happens today but not as often.  Apart from the part time/full time issue, there's been less funding about recently.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but with a proper home now for the long term Eagles will be rewarded for doing the right things consistently. 

Community coach, link up with the University to copy what Newcastle did at Northumbria Uni. Tap into the skill base there to spread word of club.  

All very positive.

I look at Newcastle's gates and, to me, they're not all that impressive.   Obviously, Covid's an issue at the moment but 450 to watch Toulouse probably gives a good idea of how many locals are getting to the games.

Jury's out for me.   Once we get into more normal times, we'll have a better idea.🤨

On 01/11/2021 at 16:49, The Daddy said:

Sheffield need to replicate what Newcastle have done by introducing more schools to RL and being more active in the community 

I had a coffee meeting with the new DO a few months ago which ended up lasting nearly 2 hours as we chatted about all sorts... she is really enthusiastic about what is happening and what the plans will be to develop schools, clubs, the womens game and the wheelchair game within the Eagles. 

I came away massively enthused by the plans and, got to say, quite excited about the future. 

I am hoping to get them to do a couple of sessions at my boys RU club as they can teach union players a lot in terms of defence and ball handling but also it helps cement the knowledge of them to the kids and there is rugby to go an watch on the doorstep. Its down to my inability to pull my finger out due to work being hectic that I havent got anything arranged (and we are now into matches on the weekend!). 

IF (and its a big IF) Eagles can get this up and running then i can see a really nice club coming together that can start to move the game (in all its aspects) forward in the city.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 04/11/2021 at 13:14, RP London said:

I had a coffee meeting with the new DO a few months ago which ended up lasting nearly 2 hours as we chatted about all sorts... she is really enthusiastic about what is happening and what the plans will be to develop schools, clubs, the womens game and the wheelchair game within the Eagles. 

I came away massively enthused by the plans and, got to say, quite excited about the future. 

I am hoping to get them to do a couple of sessions at my boys RU club as they can teach union players a lot in terms of defence and ball handling but also it helps cement the knowledge of them to the kids and there is rugby to go an watch on the doorstep. Its down to my inability to pull my finger out due to work being hectic that I havent got anything arranged (and we are now into matches on the weekend!). 

IF (and its a big IF) Eagles can get this up and running then i can see a really nice club coming together that can start to move the game (in all its aspects) forward in the city.

Just to update.. managed to pull my finger out and organise this and the training session is booked for the 21st... really looking forward to it, so far the response from the parents has been fantastic and think the lads are looking forward to it. Something a bit different for the kids and a break from the normal coaching which will be great for them i'm sure. 

• Like 3

On 01/11/2021 at 16:49, The Daddy said:

Sheffield and Doncaster had schools playing not only in their areas but also Rotherham and Barnsley until funding was pulled 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You mean such as building a lower capacity (seated) stand than first planned on the west side of the ground?

First Sheffield Eagles don’t own the ground, so it’s not their decision, and also they don’t need a capacity bigger than they’re getting. On the one hand we have people on this forum moaning about grounds being too big (Huddersfield, Wigan) and on the other people are moaning about clubs having new grounds that aren’t far too big for them (Sheffield and Salford). Classic TRL forum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fixtures are due to be released on Sunday (3rd). Will Sheffield's home venue be tbc?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

27 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The fixtures are due to be released on Sunday (3rd). Will Sheffield's home venue be tbc?

I would expect so because who knows the things that can happen between now and then. Shortages of materials, covid lockdowns etc. However, if all goes to plan it should be ready. Its coming along well. 

No home matches until March 6th at the earliest. Let's hope for a mild winter.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

No home matches until March 6th at the earliest.

Can't be right.

There's a 50/50 chance of a home cup tie before then, Johnny

Edited by Griff

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Can't be right.

There's a 50/50 chance of a home cup tie before then, Johnny

Sheffield have stated that the stadium is unlikely to be ready before then, hence no home fixtures in the league before that date. When are the cup weekends, Griff?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sheffield have stated that the stadium is unlikely to be ready before then, hence no home fixtures in the league before that date. When are the cup weekends, Griff?

Up to R6:

January 15/16: Challenge Cup Round 1 (26 Community clubs)

January 29/30: Challenge Cup Round 2 (11 League 1 clubs enter)

February 12/13: Challenge Cup Round 3

February 26/27: Challenge Cup Round 4 (14 Championship clubs enter)

March 12/13: Challenge Cup Round 5

March 26/27: Challenge Cup Round 6 (11 Super League clubs enter)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Up to R6:

Are Toulouse not entering the cup yet again?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 13/11/2021 at 21:13, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Up to R6:

Only one amateur Sunday league side (As far as I know) has reached the third round of the challenge cup.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/