Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

• 1 month later...

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

very much looking forward to this year.. membership all bought and ready for the off!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know when Sheffield‘s new ground will be ready? 

The 15th of April,this very year.

Home game,and victory,over London Broncos.

It is just a new main stand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 07/01/2022 at 16:03, Kirmonds pouch said:

What will be the capacity?

Will there be any standing terracing around the rest of the ground?

Stand has 758 seats. Rest of ground will remain as standing afaik: grass bank opposite stand and tarmac pitch level at both ends with a small grass bank at the southern end, although with plans to make more substantial (terracing etc). When finished capacity will be 3.9k, although with the grass banks I doubt it'll be that high for the coming season

Current state and artist's impression of completed stadium below

May be an image of grass

NewStadium1.jpg

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know when Sheffield‘s new ground will be ready? 

"Sheffield must wait until May for their first game at the new Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park Community Stadium following a further delay.

It means Widnes will now be the first visitors to the new ground on Monday May 23, live on Premier Sports."

CLICKY

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats enough.  Concern is you need 2000 seats for SL but probably dont have to worry for a few years.  

I support Fev and go to most matches but the Olympic Legacy Park is only 10 min away by car.Really easy to get to by Supertram from city centre or several bus routes.By car get off at Meadowhall turn off and follow signs for city centre it's a couple of miles down the road on the left just past Sheffiel Arena.

45 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Last i heard it had been put back to May due to adverse weather conditions.Knowing builders and construction projects that will probably mean June.The Capacity when finished was to be 3900 but in future this could be increased.

3900 is for the stadium with concrete terracing - something that won't be in place for some time. I'd be surprised if a safety officer would sign off for over 3k standing on grass banks. If you've ever been to the OLP just think what it was with the temporary stand replaced by that shown in the photo above. 

17 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

3900 is for the stadium with concrete terracing - something that won't be in place for some time. I'd be surprised if a safety officer would sign off for over 3k standing on grass banks. If you've ever been to the OLP just think what it was with the temporary stand replaced by that shown in the photo above. 

I would think the first phase would limit crowds to about 1500 if Eagles can get crowds over 1000 there is no way our supporters could all fit in.Lets hope we get promoted and that would be problem solved.Although i would miss my trips to The Mount.

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The new stadium

OLP2.jpg

Ok my OCD can’t stand it any longer…

Loving the fact they have a new stadium but why isn’t the stand in symmetry? There’s two blocks to the right of the tunnel and just one to the left - which just looks odd as well as decreasing capacity.

Anyone know why the design is like this?

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

Ok my OCD can’t stand it any longer…

Loving the fact they have a new stadium but why isn’t the stand in symmetry? There’s two blocks to the right of the tunnel and just one to the left - which just looks odd as well as decreasing capacity.

Anyone know why the design is like this?

Because it's only phase 1 of a bigger plan.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I would absolutely love to see Sheffield back in SL, went to see them a fair few times in the 90s and have a massive soft spot for them and the city. 

I was there when they got 10,500 for the Wigan game a week after the challenge cup final in 1998. You won't get that a Moor Lane

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was there when they got 10,500 for the Wigan game a week after the challenge cup final in 1998. You won't get that at Moor Lane

Only 7365 there that day.

The only time 10000+ were at a DVS game was when Bradford clinched top spot in the league.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

Only 7365 there that day.

The only time 10000+ were at a DVS game was when Bradford clinched top spot in the league.

Yes you are right. I had the 10,500 figure in my head and it was a Sky match with Bradford as you said. The Wigan was a Saturday afternoon IIRC. Looked great though even in a 20k stadium. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What’s Moor Lane got to do with it? 

If you get a tiny stadium you get tiny crowds. Sheffield will hopefully get that capacity up to 3900 so they can enjoy some good Championship crowds. It would need to be at least double that to be viable in SL.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you get a tiny stadium you get tiny crowds. Sheffield will hopefully get that capacity up to 3900 so they can enjoy some good Championship crowds. It would need to be at least double that to be viable in SL.

Salford don’t get big crowds in a bigger stadium though, and nor do a number of other SL clubs. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Salford don’t get big crowds in a bigger stadium though, and nor do a number of other SL clubs. 

Huddersfield, Cas, Hull KR, Salford, Wakefield and Sheffield have all had 10,000+ home crowds in the SL era. If you don't have the capacity you will never achieve those crowds. Judging a club's potential on where they are now is folly. 

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Huddersfield, Cas, Hull KR, Salford, Wakefield and Sheffield have all had 10,000+ home crowds in the SL era. If you don't have the capacity you will never achieve those crowds. Judging a club's potential on where they are now is folly. 

One 10k crowd in 25 years isn’t a sign of potential to have regular 10k crowds. When were Huddersfield, Salford or Trinity’s last 10k crowds? Charlton Athletic once had a crowd of 75k, they don’t need a ground that big either.