Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One 10k crowd in 25 years isn’t a sign of potential to have regular 10k crowds. When were Huddersfield, Salford or Trinity’s last 10k crowds? Charlton Athletic once had a crowd of 75k, they don’t need a ground that big either. 

That is taking it to extremes. Cas got 10,500 for a home game against Salford because they had the capacity and actually got off their backsides and made the effort. Same with Hull KR against Warrington next month. Both of those clubs have had regular 5-7k crowds. Wigan got 17k against London (Harlequins) a few years ago but will probably get 8-9k tonight.

So is Cas' potential 5k or 10k? Is Wigan's 15-20k or 8-10k?

I have been to Sheffield with regular 5k+ crowds in SL. So although 3k is okay for now it is way under its potential. I wish them good luck and hope they can get that 3,900 capacity asap. They have had a #### few years luck wise.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is taking it to extremes. Cas got 10,500 for a home game against Salford because they had the capacity and actually got off their backsides and made the effort. Same with Hull KR against Warrington next month. Both of those clubs have had regular 5-7k crowds. Wigan got 17k against London (Harlequins) a few years ago but will probably get 8-9k tonight.

So is Cas' potential 5k or 10k? Is Wigan's 15-20k or 8-10k?

I have been to Sheffield with regular 5k+ crowds in SL. So although 3k is okay for now it is way under its potential. I wish them good luck and hope they can get that 3,900 capacity asap. They have had a #### few years luck wise.

Well yeah completely agree on the last part, SL’s ruining of Sheffield Eagles must be in the sport’s all time top 3 own goals, against some massively stiff competition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

If you get a tiny stadium you get tiny crowds. Sheffield will hopefully get that capacity up to 3900 so they can enjoy some good Championship crowds. It would need to be at least double that to be viable in SL.

Sheffield are tenants and have a 5 year agreement to play at the OLP. The Scarborough Group have responsibility for developing and managing the stadium and understandably will only build more if they can return a profit. The primary driving force for the new build is the business and conference space contained within not a spectator stand per se. There was more chance of further development happening when Sheff Utd ladies' team played there but following the fall outs around the football club they've now moved to Chesterfield. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Sheffield are tenants and have a 5 year agreement to play at the OLP. The Scarborough Group have responsibility for developing and managing the stadium and understandably will only build more if they can return a profit. The primary driving force for the new build is the business and conference space contained within not a spectator stand per se. There was more chance of further development happening when Sheff Utd ladies' team played there but following the fall outs around the football club they've now moved to Chesterfield. 

I didn't know Sheffield United women aren't going to play there anymore. That's a huge blow and gutted for the Eagles as they would have benefitted so much from the stadium requirements.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well yeah completely agree on the last part, SL’s ruining of Sheffield Eagles must be in the sport’s all time top 3 own goals, against some massively stiff competition. 

Am I right in thinking Ralph Rimmer was involved? He seems to score more Own goals in RL than Harry McGuire does for United.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 14:57, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What was the reason for the Sheff Utd ladies fallout Les ?. 

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ahh yeah some Arab prince got Shef United,  can see Why McCabe wouldnt want them there.  

Soccer is rotten to the core from FIFA down (apart from Plymouth Argyle FC who are aces!)

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

18 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A fallout between the owners of SUFC, one of whom was Ken McCabe who happens to be the owner of the Scarborough Group. Was pretty acrimonious and ended up going the the High Court with McCabe losing. 

Kevin.  Just saying.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• 2 weeks later...

Not stadium related but I’ve just been watching highlights of the 98 CC final on YouTube. I lived in Sheffield at the time and the Eagles were well known in the city, if not widely supported, but what’s surprising is how many Eagles fans are there and how noisy they are - there are thousands of them. Obviously what happened to them shortly after was shameful even by RL’s self-destructive standards, but even so there is definitely potential there if they can ever put a successful team together again. 

• 1 month later...

I have a autographed framed picture of the 1993/94 Sheffield Eagles team a customer of mine got it through a house clearance.No he was not a burglar he knew i played and watched rugby league and wrenched £20 out of me for it.If anyone can find a place for it in the new stadium i will donate it for free.

• Like 5

On 01/04/2022 at 22:23, Eddie said:

Not stadium related but I’ve just been watching highlights of the 98 CC final on YouTube. I lived in Sheffield at the time and the Eagles were well known in the city, if not widely supported, but what’s surprising is how many Eagles fans are there and how noisy they are - there are thousands of them. Obviously what happened to them shortly after was shameful even by RL’s self-destructive standards, but even so there is definitely potential there if they can ever put a successful team together again. 

I was there that day... great day! There were a very good number of Eagles fans but there were also a lot of "neutral" fans who, thanks to it being against Wigan, were very much cheering for Sheffield. 

Looking forward to the OLP opening and as long as everything goes my way I will be there with the lad.. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 19:11, ShropshireBull said:

Ahh yeah some Arab prince got Shef United,  can see Why McCabe wouldnt want them there.  

He was partners with said Arab Prince... they just fell out and there was all sorts of toy throwing escapades by both sides, sadly this has been caught in the middle of it.. including, I believe, MPs having to have a word with McCabe as there was a possibility he want going to build the OLP as it would have advantaged the Arab Prince.. All very football IMHO

Anyway this isnt dead in the water just yet as there is a bid on the table to buy the Arab Prince out (may be dependent on the next few weeks though and what happens in the play offs and the amount the bid was for etc). If the new people get it they may have better relations (not tough) with McCabe and bring the United Ladies back into the city, which would be great.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just think there are so many possibilities for them with proper home in terms of commercial and hospitality.  

Sport needs to really take advantage of this opportunity. 

totally agree.. if they can actually get a foothold, it doesnt even have to be that big, thanks to having a home back in the city then they'll have something to build on. IMHO this season is now all about getting a strong core base back used to coming to matches then use the World Cup as a spring board. 

My 11 year old daughter brought home a permission slip from school last week to be taken to a Euro 2022 Womens football match at Bramall Lane. The school is going to take them as they have been given some tickets (limited number and I think we have to pay for them). Teachers are happy to take them which is great. Sadly I cannot see the RLWC doing similar but what a difference something like that could make with Eagles then following up on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

If the RFL had semblance of plan then need to bring some proper imternationals bk post world cup. 

If you could get just 1% of the population long term, plus only 15 min metro from Rotherham, thats a SL club in one of Britains largest cities. 

Very excited to see what they get vs Widnes. 

16 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I have a autographed framed picture of the 1993/94 Sheffield Eagles team a customer of mine got it through a house clearance.No he was not a burglar he knew i played and watched rugby league and wrenched £20 out of me for it.If anyone can find a place for it in the new stadium i will donate it for free.

I will PM you

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Contact the club directly. I don’t know if Liam Claffey is still there, I knew he was leaving, if he’s not he’d happily point you in the right direction.