Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

Always liked Sheffield and look at them a bit nostalgically as they were the first opponent I saw, I remember recognising their shirt on Full Monty and that Cup Final winning shirt is a beauty. It’s a great city, too. 

You could quite easily name a dozen places that should have some form of investment in and Sheffield would be on that list. 

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Contact the club directly. I don’t know if Liam Claffey is still there, I knew he was leaving, if he’s not he’d happily point you in the right direction. 

Liam's gone.  Mark Hannigan's doing his job now.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

500,000 people 1 hour from Leeds. Should be enough with new stadium to put together enough cash for a very strong part time team that can challenge for playoffs consistently. Just Bradford letting the side down now... 

Steady on, they need to generate interest in the city first. When I lived there in the mid-90s there was, albeit dwarfed by football of course, but that quickly went when SL ruined the club so it will take a lot of effort to get it back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Steady on, they need to generate interest in the city first. When I lived there in the mid-90s there was, albeit dwarfed by football of course, but that quickly went when SL ruined the club so it will take a lot of effort to get it back. 

Ironically Sheffield have been saved by there being relatively minimal growth in the intervening 20 years of that period. If they can regularly attract a few thousand to their new ground in Super League they wouldn't be out of kilter with many in the the past decade.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ironically Sheffield have been saved by there being relatively minimal growth in the intervening 20 years of that period. If they can regularly attract a few thousand to their new ground in Super League they wouldn't be out of kilter with many in the the past decade.

I think 2,000 would be a massive success, initially at least. But yeah clearly they’re in a much better place now than at any time since the Shuddersfield farce. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

what a sad reflection of the last 20 years... 

Cant wait to sit in my seat at OLP next Monday night... it will be a night to savour...

Sheffield is within an hour of Derby, Nottingham, Chesterfield and just over an hour from Lincoln... 

If Only RL and the clubs advertised properly instead of just on Social Media

Edited by mozzauk
  • Like 1

got my ticket and my son has dusted off his membership card.. looking forward to seeing it in all its glory. 

great idea of "First game back ticket and have a drink on us for £12"! lets see what drink i can get.. 

13 minutes ago, RP London said:

got my ticket and my son has dusted off his membership card.. looking forward to seeing it in all its glory. 

great idea of "First game back ticket and have a drink on us for £12"! lets see what drink i can get.. 

Have a great time, take and post some pics? 

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Have a great time, take and post some pics? 

depends how good the drink is 😄

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RP London said:

A pint of Wards 😱

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, mozzauk said:

Sheffield is within an hour of Derby, Nottingham, Chesterfield and just over an hour from Lincoln... 

If Only RL and the clubs advertised properly instead of just on Social Media

It's not quite the grand reopening of the Ritz mate...

57 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

It's not quite the grand reopening of the Ritz mate...

oh i dont know... i wouldnt put it past them to have the "drink on us" as a nice cuppa or a bovril!

• Haha 1

Looking at pictures from last weekends friendly Football match it looks like just the West side with the stand is finished.The East side which in the plans shows a length of the field terrace has not been done.Future development i hope they finish it for next season.On a dry day/night sitting on the grass bank is ok  and tarmac flat standing round the pitch ok if not a big crowd.

30 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Looking at pictures from last weekends friendly Football match it looks like just the West side with the stand is finished.The East side which in the plans shows a length of the field terrace has not been done.Future development i hope they finish it for next season.On a dry day/night sitting on the grass bank is ok  and tarmac flat standing round the pitch ok if not a big crowd.

that was never going to happen in this phase. The full picture/plan is for how it will look in the end but this phase was all about the stand being done.

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

You've just realised that despite me posting several times as to the reality of this new mythical stadium ie a just short of 800 seat stand*? They will not finish it for next season, nor for some time after either I'd expect. The full development was pretty much dependant on SUFC ladies playing there but the falling out of the football club's joint owners a while back put paid to that. The Eagles only have a 5 year lease so it's not even guaranteed to be their long term home!

* the main function of the building is offices/conference facilities for the OLP not as a sports stand

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

13 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You've just realised that despite me posting several times as to the reality of this new mythical stadium ie a just short of 800 seat stand*? They will not finish it for next season, nor for some time after either I'd expect. The full development was pretty much dependant on SUFC ladies playing there but the falling out of the football club's joint owners a while back put paid to that. The Eagles only have a 5 year lease so it's not even guaranteed to be their long term home!

* the main function of the building is offices/conference facilities for the OLP not as a sports stand

and how do you see this picture?

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah lets just bin it off and give up on a city of 500,000 people a stones throw from the heartlands with excellent transport links from sheffield city centre and rotherham.  

5 years enough time to prove viability and World cup bounce.

I think sometimes people forget that the 5 year part of the lease could be good for the Eagles as they can use this (if everything goes well) to keep the Scarborough Group to promises they have made on the other developments. 

There is a lot of money being ploughed into that area by the city council and govt (with the "levelling up fund") and also the 2 Universities who have built departments in the area (The Health and Well Being building and the National Centre of Excellence for Food Engineering are both on site). 

while it isnt perfect and there are still potential pitfalls this has massive potential to go very well for the Eagles but some people are just determined to see negatives, and, dont get me wrong, I can see this has the ability to go belly up but it has such potential to be good for the team/club/game/city that these potential problems (and that is all they are, potential) will fall away if they can make it work (get people through the gates).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RP London said:

I think sometimes people forget that the 5 year part of the lease could be good for the Eagles as they can use this (if everything goes well) to keep the Scarborough Group to promises they have made on the other developments. 

There is a lot of money being ploughed into that area by the city council and govt (with the "levelling up fund") and also the 2 Universities who have built departments in the area (The Health and Well Being building and the National Centre of Excellence for Food Engineering are both on site). 

while it isnt perfect and there are still potential pitfalls this has massive potential to go very well for the Eagles but some people are just determined to see negatives, and, dont get me wrong, I can see this has the ability to go belly up but it has such potential to be good for the team/club/game/city that these potential problems (and that is all they are, potential) will fall away if they can make it work (get people through the gates).

I think what the Eagles could do without for the foreseeable future is anyone projecting anything onto them that goes beyond them existing and developing as a club for themselves.

The Eagles' only responsibility is to themselves. If 'rugby league' wants more than that then it can cough up for it.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think what the Eagles could do without for the foreseeable future is anyone projecting anything onto them that goes beyond them existing and developing as a club for themselves.

The Eagles' only responsibility is to themselves. If 'rugby league' wants more than that then it can cough up for it.

totally agree.. 

The next few years is all about getting people back interested in the game and wanting to go to matches after years of not having a base. Lets then see where we are in 5 years and worry about that when we get there. 

• Like 1

Most new grounds have to have test events with capacities capped at certain amounts to comply with the regulations to get final sign off, I wonder if this is one such event, it’s a shame if so that they couldn’t have a bigger crowd but hopefully they still turn out.