Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

Just now, welshmagpie said:

Good progress then!

Yeah, they've apparently poured a bit of concrete on the site of the new retail park (other end of the site to the stadium) and the developer has applied for a Certificate of Lawfulness (to prove that work has started). What I can't understand is why the developer (or indeed Cas themselves) isn't crowing from the rooftops that work has started, never mind not responding to phone calls from the local press...unless, of course, they've only done that now to avoid PP expiring in January?

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yeah, they've apparently poured a bit of concrete on the site of the new retail park (other end of the site to the stadium) and the developer has applied for a Certificate of Lawfulness (to prove that work has started). What I can't understand is why the developer (or indeed Cas themselves) isn't crowing from the rooftops that work has started, never mind not responding to phone calls from the local press...unless, of course, they've only done that now to avoid PP expiring in January?

Never 😀

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Retail ! after this Pandemic no one will have any spare cash to spend.It will be like when i was young,no new shoes put cardboard inside when they let the wet in.Or polish ones feet and lace your toes up.Wheldon Road has the space to be redeveloped costing much less than a new stadium.Down the main wooden stand side full length  and behind the sticks at the railway end both fully seated.All Hospitality,  changing rooms, gym ,and fitness facilities built into the length.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Retail ! after this Pandemic no one will have any spare cash to spend.It will be like when i was young,no new shoes put cardboard inside when they let the wet in.Or polish ones feet and lace your toes up.Wheldon Road has the space to be redeveloped costing much less than a new stadium.Down the main wooden stand side full length  and behind the sticks at the railway end both fully seated.All Hospitality,  changing rooms, gym ,and fitness facilities built into the length.

And the money to do that comes from? Oh, and the proposed new stadium costs (Cas) £0 (or it might be £1, can't remember exact details), so not cheaper by any means for them.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

3 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

19 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

AIUI though, Cas were going to get the  frame of the new stadium for free from the developer, selling the old ground to pay for the fit out. I don't think their current owners have the funds to build even one new stand from scratch at Wheldon Road. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wasn’t this thread about Sheffield not Cas?

I live in Sheffield nowt much happening.This would be the ideal time to have started building and terracing but not many care about Rugby League in Sheffield.How Mark Aston has kept them going is a miracle.He deserves an award for his contribution to Rugby League in the city.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I live in Sheffield nowt much happening.This would be the ideal time to have started building and terracing but not many care about Rugby League in Sheffield.How Mark Aston has kept them going is a miracle.He deserves an award for his contribution to Rugby League in the city.

I genuinely believe that when the ovoid tubster bounces into retirement, sheffield will cease to be a rugby club shortly after. Richie P may wish to inform/comment/correct my opinion.

Aston, an irritating gobby little grub on the pitch but you've got to admire his contribution to the game.

Ian Annis was another unsung community hero who put loads into keeping rugby alive in the city. Another good bloke gone way too soon.

Edited by Robin Evans

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/Eagles-News/article/community-pitch-reopens-at-olp/

This from the Eagles a couple of weeks ago talks about work starting in the "autumn" and them playing there next "summer." Also Scarborough Group has yet to sign the lease for the site. 

So not nailed on yet, but the site has reopened and the tone of the release is quite positive, so let's hope it comes off. 

The fact that it's not linked to retail but rather a multi purpose health and business campus maybe means it stands a chance in the current environment. 

14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/Eagles-News/article/community-pitch-reopens-at-olp/

This from the Eagles a couple of weeks ago talks about work starting in the "autumn" and them playing there next "summer." Also Scarborough Group has yet to sign the lease for the site. 

So not nailed on yet, but the site has reopened and the tone of the release is quite positive, so let's hope it comes off. 

The fact that it's not linked to retail but rather a multi purpose health and business campus maybe means it stands a chance in the current environment. 

Yeah I know some of the people involved and I think there's sense that Covid, plus general unsureness over how the future looks for the lower divisions, is putting things on hold.

There's more than Mark Aston committed here though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Is it to be a SL standard stadium ?

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I lived in Sheffield in the mid 90s and there was a real buzz about the Eagles then, I thought they could develop into an established top flight team with an average gate of 5,000 or so, and still maintain that could have happened, such a shame. 

37 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Is it to be a SL standard stadium ?

The initial build is just 750 seats, so if the regulations are kept, no. Although London showed how easy it is put up a basic 1000 seater stand in the off season when they went up, so presumably Sheffield could do the same if they were somehow promoted. 

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

The initial build is just 750 seats, so if the regulations are kept, no. Although London showed how easy it is put up a basic 1000 seater stand in the off season when they went up, so presumably Sheffield could do the same if they were somehow promoted. 

And that would achieve what ? 

Realistically just when will they have a SL standard stadium ? , It's no good saying they ' could or did ' draw 10,000 but can only fit 1,000 in 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Realistically just when will they have a SL standard stadium ? , It's no good saying they ' could or did ' draw 10,000 but can only fit 1,000 in 

I’m sure they’d love on but who would pay for it?

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I believe the answer to that question is a word of 5 letters beginning with 'n' and ending with 'r'.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What is a superleague standard stadium? The overall capacity of the Sheffield OLP stadium is listed at 3,900. Looking at the site, it doesn't look like it could accommodate much more than that, unless you're talking about multi tier stands, which I don't think anyone is. 

So if Sheffield went up, at best they could accommodate about 5000 on that site, even with extra works. But that's enough to meet current standards for entry. 

If you think they need more than that, then it's a ground share with one of the football clubs.