Rules Question.

If a team opt to kick a penalty for goal, and lining it up for a kick, the kicker then approached the ball, but instead just tap the penalty & score a try, is this allowed? After all they have kicked the ball, albeit 1cm, would this be a legitimate play?

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If a team opt to kick a penalty for goal, and lining it up for a kick, the kicker then approached the ball, but instead just tap the penalty & score a try, is this allowed? After all they have kicked the ball, albeit 1cm, would this be a legitimate play?

No the kicker has to make a legitimate attempt to kick for goal.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

From the Laws of the Game Section 6, Note 11

Pretending to kick It shall be misconduct for a player to pretend to kick at goal at goal from a penalty kick and then deliberately kick it elsewhere. Such misconduct shall incur a penalty. Once having informed the Referee of his intention to kick at goal from a penalty award the kicker shall not do otherwise.

Many years ago I did see our hooker, Neil Kelly, when awarded a penalty in front of the posts point up to them then take the tap and score, the opposition having trudged back awaiting the kick. When the other team protested the referee said that Kelly had said, whilst pointing "I'm not going to kick it over them".

These were the days before demonstrative referees had to indicate everything that was going on. It was very amusing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I remember Canberra getting a penalty in front of the sticks when Mal Meninga points to the sticks and says to the Ref- I'm not going for the penalty goal. The defence relax and he taps the ball and strolls over. Ouch.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Many years ago I did see our hooker, Neil Kelly, when awarded a penalty in front of the posts point up to them then take the tap and score, the opposition having trudged back awaiting the kick. When the other team protested the referee said that Kelly had said, whilst pointing "I'm not going to kick it over them".

These were the days before demonstrative referees had to indicate everything that was going on. It was very amusing.

You've just intercepted my story! 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I saw Steve Hesford do something similar for Warrington in the 70s. He put the ball down and started digging a mark (days before sand and tees), opposition players started trooping back towards the try line, he tapped the ball ran forward and (I think) passed to the winger to score. 

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I wonder if the laws were changed after this incident?

Well not after that incident as a penalty was awarded against Leeds so the law was applied as written. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I remember Canberra getting a penalty in front of the sticks when Mal Meninga points to the sticks and says to the Ref- I'm not going for the penalty goal. The defence relax and he taps the ball and strolls over. Ouch.

Is this not strictly illegal anyway, since it happens before the referee has indicated what the ruling is publicly announced. ??

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is this not strictly illegal anyway, since it happens before the referee has indicated what the ruling is publicly announced. ??

As I was typing I realised I hadn't remembered this incedent but only remembered being told about it. It was a long time ago.

As I understand it the defence switched off as soon as Mal pointed to the sticks which was the obvious option at that point. The Ref might have being doing a Borat impression complete with skimpy leotard but they were waiting for the kick. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

As I was typing I realised I hadn't remembered this incedent but only remembered being told about it. It was a long time ago.

As I understand it the defence switched off as soon as Mal pointed to the sticks which was the obvious option at that point. The Ref might have being doing a Borat impression complete with skimpy leotard but they were waiting for the kick. 

The ref is the one who is judge of the law... unless he is asleep.  He could have called him back.

And Big Mal walked on water, so not sure he needed the luck.

12 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

It is now but wasn't then. Referees weren't a part of the entertainment in those days and didn't go through elaborate performances to indicate what was happening every two minutes. The players just got on with the game. (They also called players by their numbers, not first names, but that is a different thread altogether.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

32 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

(They also called players by their numbers, not first names, but that is a different thread altogether.)

And then we got to the even more ridiculous when they started using nicknames like 'Faz' and 'Scully'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And then we got to the even more ridiculous when they started using nicknames like 'Faz' and 'Scully'.

And you know their names, and the players call out their names.  Is the referee not to communicate. On topic, all the ref had to do was call it back.

Its a moot point if the ref should call out stuff like 'stay on side'... but i suggest that the public dont want to see excessive stoppages in play.

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The ref is the one who is judge of the law... unless he is asleep.  He could have called him back.

And Big Mal walked on water, so not sure he needed the luck.

I'm not sure he could call it back as Mal hadn't done anything wrong. He's told the Ref he's not going for a penalty kick,  the Ref has presumably indicated this to the defence who had their backs to him and Mal taps the ball and goes over. Had a quick look on YouTube but can't find owt.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

2 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I'm not sure he could call it back as Mal hadn't done anything wrong. He's told the Ref he's not going for a penalty kick,  the Ref has presumably indicated this to the defence who had their backs to him and Mal taps the ball and goes over. Had a quick look on YouTube but can't find owt.

There was this incident I remember with Meninga with the Canberra Raiders.  I think it was a first round game.

The Raiders got a penalty and kicked for touch. Then on the mark from the touch finder, Meninga lined up a shot at goal. Everyone was wondering what was going on and then he tapped it and played on. I don't think he scored though.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

There was this incident I remember with Meninga with the Canberra Raiders.  I think it was a first round game.

The Raiders got a penalty and kicked for touch. Then on the mark from the touch finder, Meninga lined up a shot at goal. Everyone was wondering what was going on and then he tapped it and played on. I don't think he scored though.

In that instance then of course the ref was right to watch and wait!

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The worse offender for that was one Mr Ganson. Anyway it got stopped reasonably quickly.

Actually using a player’s name rather than their number works better particularly at amateur level

33 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The worse offender for that was one Mr Ganson. Anyway it got stopped reasonably quickly.

Actually using a player’s name rather than their number works better particularly at amateur level

I'm surprised that at amateur level a ref would know the names of all 34 players in a match.

38 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm surprised that at amateur level a ref would know the names of all 34 players in a match.

The trick is to learn the 1, 6, 7, 9 & 13 from the team sheet. They are usually the key players. The rest you may pick up on or know a few. From personal experience it can be done & does work. Mind you calling a player you know by his real name rather than the team sheet one was an amusing moment

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The trick is to learn the 1, 6, 7, 9 & 13 from the team sheet. They are usually the key players. The rest you may pick up on or know a few. From personal experience it can be done & does work. Mind you calling a player you know by his real name rather than the team sheet one was an amusing moment

Fair enough. You are clearly speaking from a position of greater experience than me.

Archived