Have Wigan got a new badge?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never sure why we have to ‘ update and modernise ‘ something that a lot of the time doesn’t really need updating . Often it’s just worse . Updating doesn’t necessarily mean better than traditional with something  like this . Club badges and crests tell a tale of a place in themselves , I prefer the older ones to a lot of the new gimmicky ones . Yes I’m a dinosaur I’m sure . This one looks like Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon , awful . 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yep, they've gone down the Manchester and Bristol City route of modernising into a circle. Tbf it did need updating and a badge like this is far more internet/reproduction friendly, I'm not convinced by the warrior on the front though and it seems a bit too "nice"

I love traditional badges, and Wigan’s was iconic. Clubs getting rid of them seems strange to me, especially when replaced with some dross like that. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I love traditional badges, and Wigan’s was iconic. Clubs getting rid of them seems strange to me, especially when replaced with some dross like that. 

Much like with Man City's or even Chelsea, West Ham or Villa it wouldn't surprise me if it was deemed difficult to use on Online media particularly. Essentially the move has been to simplify and modernise, which the old one couldn't be described as at all. 

This new style badge will be able to be easily put into different colours or chrome effect for example which is something deemed important now in branding. I think they could have incorporated the castle rather than the warrior on the front personally but otherwise it isn't terrible.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Much like with Man City's or even Chelsea, West Ham or Villa it wouldn't surprise me if it was deemed difficult to use on Online media particularly. Essentially the move has been to simplify and modernise, which the old one couldn't be described as at all. 

This new style badge will be able to be easily put into different colours or chrome effect for example which is something deemed important now in branding. I think they could have incorporated the castle rather than the warrior on the front personally but otherwise it isn't terrible.

The clubs you cite have retained an element of the traditional badge. Without the name on those badges I would still know what club's badge they are. I wouldn't with this at all and this proposal, and I hope that's all it is, doesn't retain anything from the old badge in the slightest and instead uses a tacky, gimmicky moniker. I think Swinton's badge is pretty great for example as it retains the old in a modern design. This doesn't and is very poor.

Just now, Damien said:

The clubs you cite have retained an element of the traditional badge. Without the name on those badges I would still know what club's badge they are. I wouldn't with this at all and this proposal, and I hope that's all it is, doesn't retain anything from the old badge in the slightest and instead uses a tacky, gimmicky moniker. I think Swinton's badge is pretty great for example as it retains the old in a modern design. This doesn't and is very poor.

Agreed its not great and should have some traditional element in it, I'd have made the shield cherry and white or put the castle in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It's likely that the club want to change the logo for something with better reproducibility. I don't think you can argue that the current crest is hard to reproduce for print. The problem is the Wigan crest is iconic. It's symbolic of the club. It's where our club motto originates. It's also, as far as a coat of arms goes, a damn good one. That image is part of our heritage.

The club no doubt feels that it currently doesn't fit the 'Warriors' brand very well and now they want to move to a modern badge including a Warrior. My issues with that are 1) the leaked design is shockingly bad. It looks amateur. Like something you might knock up for a local league. It doesn't suggest 'professional sports team', and 2) take away the writing and it's unrecognisable as being Wigan Warriors - it could be any generic 'Warriors' brand from around the world.

I know Everton were in this situation a few years ago. They wanted to modernise the badge and make it easier to reproduce. The new crest still included the 'Everton lock-up' though. That image was iconic and they kept it. it still met with disapproval from fans but imagine if they'd got rid of it and just replaced it with a clip art style picture of a toffee in a wrapper. That would be on a par with this monstrosity.

Had the club gone for a more simplified design based on the crest then I'd be on board with it. If it was the castle and the two lions aside it that could be done in a way that's simple and easy to reproduce. What we've got instead is a very bad cartoon 'warrior', which almost looks more like a viking. In fact it's so close to the image on the Canberra Raiders badge that it wouldn't surprise me if it was used as a reference.

If indeed the leaked badge is the new club logo then I can see it going the same way as when Leeds Utd redesigned the badge. A re-brand can help sell merchandise and I'm sure Wigan's marketing team were hoping that a re-brand would generate some extra spending during a difficult time financially, but I can see this quite quickly backfiring. I certainly won't be buying any Wigan merchandise with that logo on it and I reckon I'm not the only one.

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

It's likely that the club want to change the logo for something with better reproducibility. I don't think you can argue that the current crest is hard to reproduce for print. The problem is the Wigan crest is iconic. It's symbolic of the club. It's where our club motto originates. It's also, as far as a coat of arms goes, a damn good one. That image is part of our heritage.

The club no doubt feels that it currently doesn't fit the 'Warriors' brand very well and now they want to move to a modern badge including a Warrior. My issues with that are 1) the leaked design is shockingly bad. It looks amateur. Like something you might knock up for a local league. It doesn't suggest 'professional sports team', and 2) take away the writing and it's unrecognisable as being Wigan Warriors - it could be any generic 'Warriors' brand from around the world.

I know Everton were in this situation a few years ago. They wanted to modernise the badge and make it easier to reproduce. The new crest still included the 'Everton lock-up' though. That image was iconic and they kept it. it still met with disapproval from fans but imagine if they'd got rid of it and just replaced it with a clip art style picture of a toffee in a wrapper. That would be on a par with this monstrosity.

Had the club gone for a more simplified design based on the crest then I'd be on board with it. If it was the castle and the two lions aside it that could be done in a way that's simple and easy to reproduce. What we've got instead is a very bad cartoon 'warrior', which almost looks more like a viking. In fact it's so close to the image on the Canberra Raiders badge that it wouldn't surprise me if it was used as a reference.

If indeed the leaked badge is the new club logo then I can see it going the same way as when Leeds Utd redesigned the badge. A re-brand can help sell merchandise and I'm sure Wigan's marketing team were hoping that a re-brand would generate some extra spending during a difficult time financially, but I can see this quite quickly backfiring. I certainly won't be buying any Wigan merchandise with that logo on it and I reckon I'm not the only one.

Agree 100% mate.

Previous Wigan names were pretty weak, The Colliers springs to mind.  And Riversiders is a bit out of date.

Alliteration is of course popular, and some strips like Castleford beg to have a nickname. Historically, so I seem to remember (!?) the name Wigan meant or was alleged to be 'place of battles'.  So Warrior might fit.  

In my infantile youth i recall the team always walking out with the tune "Entry of the Gladiators".  So on balance Wigan have missed a trick with the logo if they are using what seems to be an Anglo Saxon warrior, rather than a Russell Crowe lookalike.  

Otherwise I am not fussed if the current badge were changed or amended some how.

But as shown it lookes more like a souvenir type badge.

Anyhow following last Friday, I'm happy for us to play in blue and yellow for the rest of the season.  I hope a copy of the tape was sent over to Chicago.

It looks like a fan effort, but not even the effort of a Wigan fan...maybe that of a Saints or Wire fan looking to troll.

When it first cropped up on Twitter I honestly thought it was a joke, It wasn't until I saw the bemused faces of the Wigan players that I took it seriously. It makes the Leeds Utd one look good is about all I could say about that... 

I'd like to congratulate Wigan's marketing department on creating a new Widnes badge and putting it on the best Salford shirt in years.

Now I'd like to see what they can do with our iconic crest and traditional and recognisable colours of cherry and white...

ElwLgEeX0AAF1s1.jpg

40 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I'd like to congratulate Wigan's marketing department on creating a new Widnes badge and putting it on the best Salford shirt in years.

Now I'd like to see what they can do with our iconic crest and traditional and recognisable colours of cherry and white...

ElwLgEeX0AAF1s1.jpg

Oh dear, not a good look. Again like my views with the Rhinos on this, someone at the club has to sign off on this stuff, and this isn't a Wigan shirt!? 

Change the badge and the colours? Really?

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh dear, not a good look. Again like my views with the Rhinos on this, someone at the club has to sign off on this stuff, and this isn't a Wigan shirt!? 

Change the badge and the colours? Really?

If they were set on changing the badge, surely common sense suggests you put it on an instantly recognisable, traditional shirt. Fans might not like the change of badge but they may love the traditional shirt and it might help smooth things over.

Changing the colours and the badge at the same time is absolute madness. That shirt is not at all recognisable as Wigan RLFC. One of the most important things for marketing clubs is to create a recognisable brand. For some reason Wigan have just decided to abandon two things synonymous with Wigan RL at the same time.

If that shirt is genuine, this is a new low for Wigan shirts and that’s some depth that you have to go to. I’m not sure how they can get it so wrong, so many times. 

Also annoys me from a fan perspective that both of these decisions in an environment like we have now are geared at supporters and I bet they haven’t been asked for an opinion on the badge or the shirt. 

17 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

If they were set on changing the badge, surely common sense suggests you put it on an instantly recognisable, traditional shirt. Fans might not like the change of badge but they may love the traditional shirt and it might help smooth things over.

Changing the colours and the badge at the same time is absolute madness. That shirt is not at all recognisable as Wigan RLFC. One of the most important things for marketing clubs is to create a recognisable brand. For some reason Wigan have just decided to abandon two things synonymous with Wigan RL at the same time.

Perhaps, for unknown reasons, they're trying to mask the badge change problems with the shirt colour change complaints. A silly ploy but one that wouldn't be surprising.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Perhaps, for unknown reasons, they're trying to mask the badge change problems with the shirt colour change complaints. A silly ploy but one that wouldn't be surprising.

The club took a home game to Australia with the intention of increasing revenue to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds and ended up making losses of around £500k. When that's the level of marketing expertise at the club I've no doubt they are doing all this because they think it's a fantastic idea.

15 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

The club took a home game to Australia with the intention of increasing revenue to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds and ended up making losses of around £500k. When that's the level of marketing expertise at the club I've no doubt they are doing all this because they think it's a fantastic idea.

At least Bevan French has signed for another year mate

In the words of Gus Gould..

"No, no, no, no, no.."

The whole decision making process within RL in the UK when it comes to things like branding and merchandise is broken, on so many levels.

This is next level bad. Branding and kit.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived