Have Wigan got a new badge?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full story here.

https://badge.wiganwarriors.com/

Designed by Nomad, who designed the Premier league branding and the recent SL rebrand.  The sad looking old man in the middle is the real stinker here. I despair.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The video they’ve released is quite good, the actual reason for the video, much less so. No idea who the UFC bloke is, I’d rather have seen an old player or two chucked in myself but that’s probably me being picky. It also seems that they’ve taken the time to get some fans involved with the video but seemingly not bothering to consult them about the change. 

You’d think that in these times where revenue has taken a gargantuan hit, you’d bend over backwards to do whatever to get fans to part with their hard earned and the badge and the rumoured shirt are two very good ways to not shift anywhere near what you should. 

Some information on the new Wigan sponsor, probably linked to the guy who recently bought into the club. Thankfully their logo doesnt incorporate a huge yellow rectangle.

https://www.eu-startups.com/2020/07/monte-carlo-based-iqoniq-secures-e100-million-to-expand-its-sports-fan-engagement-platform-worldwide/

8 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Full story here.

Designed by Nomad, who designed the Premier league branding and the recent SL rebrand.  The sad looking old man in the middle is the real stinker here. I despair.

Thats understandable as aesthetically its not a terrible badge, its just a bad brief imo.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Thats understandable as aesthetically its not a terrible badge, its just a bad brief imo.

Quite. Would love to know the rationale behind changing the badge. They mention the use of the logo in the digital age and being viewed on phones, tablets etc etc, but i would ask what amount and what proportion of that amount, of Wigan fans, look at their club website and more importantly the club crest on their website on such things as tablets and phones.

A talented designer could have made a modern representation of the current crest to tick that box, as well as keep a true representation of the traditional badge. This is probably where the club have said we want something different. Or maybe the agency just don't have that much of a handle on RL fans..

Nomad are a decent agency, and i have a great deal of respect for the work they do and work they have done in the past, but as a designer i'd be embarrassed to put my name to that branding.

As with anything creative its very subjective, but as well as the old man in the middle (the earlier sketches seen in the video look better than what they settle don), the balance is all wrong and the use of colour just doesn't look to be of a good enough standard.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Quite. Would love to know the rationale behind changing the badge. They mention the use of the logo in the digital age and being viewed on phones, tablets etc etc, but i would ask what amount and what proportion of that amount, of Wigan fans, look at their club website and more importantly the club crest on their website on such things as tablets and phones.

A talented designer could have made a modern representation of the current crest to tick that box, as well as keep a true representation of the traditional badge. This is probably where the club have said we want something different. Or maybe the agency just don't have that much of a handle on RL fans..

Nomad are a decent agency, and i have a great deal of respect for the work they do and work they have done in the past, but as a designer i'd be embarrassed to put my name to that branding.

As with anything creative its very subjective, but as well as the old man in the middle (the earlier sketches seen in the video look better than what they settle don), the balance is all wrong and the use of colour just doesn't look to be of a good enough standard.

According to Wigan themselves, Super League have stated their badge was an area they could improve on to be more "media friendly and recognisable". Apparently its part of a TV Deal first driven strategy by Super League.

I can see that to an extent, I just don't think this example hits the mark. I personally would have kept the castle from the current crest in place of the "Brigante Warrior" and his "piercing stare". I also don't like how the words fit around the circle tbh, and 1872 might be the first time rugby was played in the town, but I'm pretty sure the club is a few years after that?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

So it wasn't a joke then and this is actually happening. They couldn't have done worse if they'd tried.

What's worse is unlike the Leeds United design which was reversed, they've already whacked it on all the gear for next season.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

What's worse is unlike the Leeds United design which was reversed, they've already whacked it on all the gear for next season.

I just dont know how anyone at the club could have signed this 'effort' of or thought that it was a good idea.

Just now, Damien said:

I just dont know how anyone at the club could have signed this 'effort' of or thought that it was a good idea.

Even in the press release Radders seems to struggle with it, he almost sounds like he's desperately pleading because he knows its naff.

If I were starting a new club up then this isn't a bad badge and branding for a new team called Warriors (of whom we have far too many but that's by the by). I like the look of it, broadly, and it goes well on the training clobber and I can see it being a useful logo across all media.

But it's not a Wigan badge and brand at all. I mean, it just isn't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is an ill thought out move as they already used symbols that to me signified the ancient and loyal bit.

Why rebrand and keep those two monikers - seems contradictory and the result of a compromise.

I’m sure there’s some brilliant A level type thesis that supports the value of a non descript bearded man with two ‘W’s on his face too.

Interesting in the spiel that It has been 12 months in the planning, with all levels of the club were consulted... but no fans! As it is no one has anything invested in it, they’ve had no time to take on board why this is being done etc

This is how you should redesign a logo... https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2019-03-27/bristol-city-unveils-new-badge

52 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Full story here.

Oh Jesus there's few things better than reading marketing ###### like that and imagining the clowns at the club getting taken in by it all.

Quoting the Chinese proverb is chef-kiss.png?1562879052

Archived