Have Wigan got a new badge?

8 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Interesting in the spiel that It has been 12 months in the planning, with all levels of the club were consulted... but no fans! As it is no one has anything invested in it, they’ve had no time to take on board why this is being done etc

This is how you should redesign a logo... https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2019-03-27/bristol-city-unveils-new-badge

I think fans were consulted. If you scroll down to the bottom of the mini site there is a section called 'The Process", flick through that to see what the process involved. Which seems quite well thought out, just very badly executed.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think fans were consulted. If you scroll down to the bottom of the mini site there is a section called 'The Process", flick through that to see what the process involved. Which seems quite well thought out, just very badly executed.

Totally agree, the idea behind wanting a more modern (and it seems more easily replicated on clothing snd digital/print) is totally valid.

what they’ve ended up with is just a bit ######.

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Totally agree, the idea behind wanting a more modern (and it seems more easily replicated on clothing snd digital/print) is totally valid.

what they’ve ended up with is just a bit ######.

It's all about the Viking for me(what does a warrior look like anyway?!).. The circular crest and use of the font i could live with (even if they have used different sized fonts for the main wording). This does work well across other sports brands.

The Manchester City branding is i think a good example of this, creating a contemporary brand from a traditional and historic crest. It's not amazing in terms of design, but it ticks the boxes and has a nice clean aesthetic.

The first question i think that should have been asked should have been around the use of the moniker of 'Warriors'. What is its purpose? what are its real benefits? Is it really required for a club like Wigan?

Obviously the cross section of wigan fans they spoke to gave a more favourable response to changing the branding completely to keeping it more traditional. I'd really love to see this brief that was pulled together by Robin consultancy.

Just because you've gone through a year long process and paid a large sum of money (no doubt), if something is broken, you get it fixed. If Wigan had any sense they would be back on the phone with Nomad to re-assess with a view to creating an improvement for 2022.. but then some genius went and ordered a new kit and new apparel range with the new branding on.. and in many cases people are too reluctant to admit when they've created a stinker, and would rathe live with it then get it fixed ASAP.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's all about the Viking for me(what does a warrior look like anyway?!).. The circular crest and use of the font i could live with (even if they have used different sized fonts for the main wording). This does work well across other sports brands.

The Manchester City branding is i think a good example of this, creating a contemporary brand from a traditional and historic crest. It's not amazing in terms of design, but it ticks the boxes and has a nice clean aesthetic.

The first question i think that should have been asked should have been around the use of the moniker of 'Warriors'. What is its purpose? what are its real benefits? Is it really required for a club like Wigan?

Obviously the cross section of wigan fans they spoke to gave a more favourable response to changing the branding completely to keeping it more traditional. I'd really love to see this brief that was pulled together by Robin consultancy, whoever they might be.

Just because you've gone through a year long process and paid a large sum of money (no doubt), if something is broken, you get it fixed. If Wigan had any sense they would be back on the phone with Nomad to re-assess with a view to creating an improvement for 2022.. but then some genius went and ordered a new kit and new apparel range with the new branding on.. and in many cases people are too reluctant to admit when they've created a stinker, and would rathe live with it then get it fixed ASAP.

Thing is I’m all for change and modernising through branding and ‘pushing the envelope’ as us designer types say.

But this just seems totally ill judged.

2 hours ago, Nate90 said:

The logo design looks like something from Clip art. Not a fan of that badge at all, I have never been one for calling Wigan, warriors

Nobody who paid to watch them play live ever, ever called them 'Warriors'.

Ridiculous badge - looks like an angry, drunk Viking.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Thing is I’m all for change and modernising through branding and ‘pushing the envelope’ as us designer types say.

But this just seems totally ill judged.

Compare the amount of complaints Wigan would have had from fans about the old branding, to the amount they will have gotten already about the new branding.. Very Ill judged and poorly executed, it has to be said.

My fear now is that other clubs follow suit and employ the same process utilising the same consultancy and creative agency. 

And we haven't even got onto the subject of the new Wigan kit!..

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

I'd like to congratulate Wigan's marketing department on creating a new Widnes badge and putting it on the best Salford shirt in years.

Now I'd like to see what they can do with our iconic crest and traditional and recognisable colours of cherry and white...

ElwLgEeX0AAF1s1.jpg

Thought we were due a trad one this cycle? 

Even more interesting than the Denis the Menace shirt is what appears to be a new main sponsor! 

https://www.eu-startups.com/2020/07/monte-carlo-based-iqoniq-secures-e100-million-to-expand-its-sports-fan-engagement-platform-worldwide/

Reckon someone is going to get struck off the club Christmas card list for leaking that! 

As for respecting traditions I think the new look is the equivalent ripping off the shirt and wiping your  ‘arris on it! 

I just wonder with the line up of backing in Iqoniq whether this is start of the “investment” ? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, Damien said:

So it wasn't a joke then and this is actually happening. They couldn't have done worse if they'd tried.

I agree. Probably the most iconic team in our sport and they missed the elephant in the room - what a fantastic opportunity to rebrand by dropping the useless Warriors moniker and it went over all of their heads. 

I was of the opinion that former players may not make good CEO's.

But it may be Elstone and his ideas for Super League is where the problem lies.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/chief-executive-robert-elstone-excited-super-leagues-rebrand-1755948

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

11 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I was of the opinion that former players may not make good CEO's.

But it may be Elstone and his ideas for Super League is where the problem lies.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/chief-executive-robert-elstone-excited-super-leagues-rebrand-1755948

I don't think the idea of modernising identities and making stuff like badges more digital friendly is a bad thing at all. This is just a poor effort at that.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think the idea of modernising identities and making stuff like badges more digital friendly is a bad thing at all. This is just a poor effort at that.

Exactly i agree with Elstone to be honest, most SL clubs need to update their Identities IMO, however what Wigan has done has totally backfired and for good reason.

whats very telling is the amount of tweets and content  they’re putting out to try and explain why they’ve done it, but it’s just making it worse.

Archived