Have Wigan got a new badge?

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s also them breaking the in essential travel rule for a cheap marketing stunt. The own goals just don’t stop. 

I'm sure everyone will be looking at logos left right and centre now.  You are.

And we are all looking from the safety of our couches. 

And of course this is part of a new range of merchandising.  

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Wasn't it for the Lancashire Air Ambulance? A very worthy cause and one I strongly support, the Yorkshire Air Ambulance anyway. I give a lot of money to the YAA and even have a standing, monthly donation with them. Well done Wigan for supporting such an important organisation. 

That rings a bell. I think you’re right. 

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Would travelling to other towns to pull off a marketing stunt by projecting the badge on rivals' stadiums be classed as essential travel?? 

I dont think it will have been actual Wigan players lad - probably a company who subcontracted the task out to a local firm.......

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I dont think it will have been actual Wigan players lad - probably a company who subcontracted the task out to a local firm.......

Either way someone is travelling around unless the firm in question has people based in both Warrington and St. Helens, if said firm is based in one of those towns their employees have still got to travel to the other as well. Anyway, ignore me, I'm just looking into it far too much. 

3 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Thought we were due a trad one this cycle? 

Even more interesting than the Denis the Menace shirt is what appears to be a new main sponsor! 

https://www.eu-startups.com/2020/07/monte-carlo-based-iqoniq-secures-e100-million-to-expand-its-sports-fan-engagement-platform-worldwide/

Reckon someone is going to get struck off the club Christmas card list for leaking that! 

As for respecting traditions I think the new look is the equivalent ripping off the shirt and wiping your  ‘arris on it! 

I just wonder with the line up of backing in Iqoniq whether this is start of the “investment” ? 

They sponsor McLaren in F1 in a prominent place (inside the halo so it has peak visibility) too

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Poor do, lads. Is that all you wiganphobes have got?  "I don't like the new badge" 

Odd way to describe most Wigan fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Been giving this some thought, lets take the actual design of the badge out of it for a moment, owning a branding agency I know as much as anyone how design is subjective.

The key thing for me is that the ‘Warriors’ brand hasn’t really worked for Wigan. And to look at it simply it hasn’t worked for 2 reasons. 1. They didn’t really embrace it from the start, look at a club (happens to be my club) The Leeds Rhinos, they fully embraced it from the start and ran with it, it caused a lot of controversy at the time but it has undoubtedly worked for them be cause they went all in at the start but this leads me onto my next point...

2. Wigan were successful at the time of the name changes, Wigan RL was already a strong brand and one that the supporters were proud of, Leeds were coming off the back of financial troubles and almost going bust, it was a perfect time for them to reinvent themselves, Wigan didn’t need to do this so the Warriors moniker was just a half hearted attempt to go along with what was happening.

Long story short I personally think the braver bold decision here would have been to actually drop the name Warriors from the name and go ‘all in’ with branding themselves Wigan RL. There are many examples of redesigns of older badges which look both modern yet traditional and they could have got round the cost of reproduction with s well designed crest.

Nobody really calls Wigan the Warriors in the same way as say Leeds Rhinos are known as the Rhinos, maybe that’s their thinking but I think its too late and has shown by the reaction not what the fans actually want.

Wakefield has done this recently (on a much smaller scale and IMO not 100% correctly) but I believe it resonated well with fans and merchandise sales are up.

To then bang on about tradition and release a cherry and black shirt with the new crest just seems like a total mis step.

So in my professional opinion, they’ve got this whole rebrand badly wrong.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Either way someone is travelling around unless the firm in question has people based in both Warrington and St. Helens, if said firm is based in one of those towns their employees have still got to travel to the other as well. Anyway, ignore me, I'm just looking into it far too much. 

We normally do.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We don't know what most Wigan fans think about this.

That is true, we can only go on sample responses.

Which have not been positive.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

To then bang on about tradition and release a cherry and black shirt with the new crest just seems like a total mis step.

100%. Its just rubbish but seems like they've spent a lot of money and don't have the balls to admit they've got it wrong here. Too many yes men? I totally agree the bolder move would have been to drop "warriors" (or to put it on the top of the shield) to make Wigan the central focus.

Another thing that hilarious to me is this claim to be modern and appealing to young people yet having a "Northern Soul circle", which is about as relevant to the northern youth as knurr and spell and working darn't pit. What next? Pop and crisps?

The best thing to do would be to hold up their hands and say they got it wrong, and look at addressing the obvious failing of this rebrand, which is the 'warrior'. 

A genuinely forward thinking and progressive club would do exactly that. But I doubt they will, partly due to the presence of this new kit and apparel collection which they will have an even harder job of selling if they announce an update to the branding is pending.

There are of course ways to offset the impact of taking such a bold step, but I'd be surprised if they do take such steps.

I truly hope they do though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

A lot of fans on social media seem to oppose it on the basis or change which I don't agree with. Clubs have to reinvent their image. I don't think they've got the design itself right though - just like that old "Warrior" badge from the 99 (?) season. Wigan's best bet would be to ditch the Warror badge and go back to Wigan RLFC.

The less said about the compaign of projecting it on rival's stadiums the better. Who okayed that?

2 hours ago, Moove said:

Fair play to the design company, they're certainly getting some use out of that badge layout. No surprise JohnM is a fan given his forum picture is the Man City version of the exact same thing 😀

You mean there both circular,hardly exactly the same.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think the fact they’re pretty much constantly tweeting reasons for why they’ve done it shows it isn’t a succes

Radlinski's most recent comments joking about turning his phone off are embarrassing

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Radlinski's most recent comments joking about turning his phone off are embarrassing

And won’t help one bit.

They're in a bit of a pickle with this one PR wise.

It’s too far down the line to change approach with it and turn it into positive PR (ala Leeds Utd) so they just seem to be ‘doubling down’ as they say.

Archived