Have Wigan got a new badge?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The old one had history and time on its side

That's what I said. The only pro I've heard is "we've had it for a long time".

That's not an argument.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So you agree, this isn't "leading" as the marketing is pushing ever so hard to suggest? 

Its sad because the warrior in the middle is actually the only part that really sucks. That is the core lack of identity part of it.

I'm not sure what it's "leading". It's a logo. There's nothing new to it.

I like the "WW" they've incorporated into it. 

I've seen much worse.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pulga said:

That's what I said. The only pro I've heard is "we've had it for a long time".

That's not an argument.

It is when you are wanting to change it. I agree, it should be changed. I also think the option they've gone with is rubbish and none of their supporters like it.

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not sure what it's "leading". It's a logo. There's nothing new to it.

I like the "WW" they've incorporated into it. 

I've seen much worse.

Take it up with them its all over their promo stuff for it.

The WW thing is the exact sort of nonsense point desperate causes point to because its not obvious. If you have to explain its there its not a good symbol.

"I've seen worse" is true, but its not a ringing endorsement and probably is behind the embarrassment eminating from the club right now.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a lot of questioning the "individual"aspect of this badge in particular. 

It does seem very "generic FC" and thats not even all of them, Bristol is another that comes to mind. Another point I've seen raised is that it actually looks pretty naff on Twitter, aside from it being unrecognisable and indistinct.

They all stole it from the Funkmeister General, the First Minister for Wales

Bild

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They've all been designed with twitter in mind apparently 

So when Twitter has a rebrand and makes its avatar a square?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I don't believe that because the old one looked rubbish.

I think thats a fair point.  And Radlinski says the old badge took 22,000 stitches.

But hey, if we are not careful we will be talking ourselves to death on this.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

"we're known for our cherry and white stripes".. tell hummel that then!

And, and this may be a small point but I will die on this hill and take everyone with me, those are *hoops*.

*Hoops*.

From reading the article on the Wigan website, with Radlinski, they seem to be spinning the response as some fans being reluctant to accept change, rather than what it actually is, which is a complete dislike of whats been produced and the quality of whats been produced.

Change is welcome, if it's needed and done well. The wigan crest, from a visual point of view, was dated and not fit for purpose in the modern sporting world, but it didn't need to be dropped completely. It just needed a talented and competent designer to re-work and make it more contemporary and better used on product, apparel and online.

As i've said previously Nomad are a very good agency, but very good agencies do still produce work that misses the mark, like this. The brief is where things have been made difficult, and the process for creating the brief.

Lots of things could of and should of been done better.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Take it up with them its all over their promo stuff for it.

The WW thing is the exact sort of nonsense point desperate causes point to because its not obvious. If you have to explain its there its not a good symbol.

"I've seen worse" is true, but its not a ringing endorsement and probably is behind the embarrassment eminating from the club right now.

They're the Warriors. They now have a warrior in their logo along with a "WW". It's brand alignment. They're not the Wigan Castles or anything else.

The logo is part of a cohesive brand. The old one wasn't.

They really shouldn't bow to internet experts, no matter how passionate they are about some logo they've gotten used to. 

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And, and this may be a small point but I will die on this hill and take everyone with me, those are *hoops*.

*Hoops*.

i'll join you... thats a very fair point!

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

They're the Warriors.

That's the point, they're not really are they, I don't know anyone who refers to them as the Warriors in RL circles, that to me (and I suspect a lot of people) means the NZ Warriors.

Now what I will say this is obviously an attempt to get that Moniker more widely accepted and used and in turn associated with Wigan, I'm highly sceptical that will work, it's too late what was the strongest brand to push here - Wigan RL or Warriors?.

Its just a truly afwful design and to gaslight the fans saying they can't accept change is desperate.

It seems to be following the Leeds United timeline, with the excuses its the fans that can't accept change, we consulted the fans etc... thankfully they ended up scraping it.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That's the point, they're not really are they, I don't know anyone who refers to them as the Warriors in RL circles, that to me (and I suspect a lot of people) means the NZ Warriors.

Now what I will say this is obviously an attempt to get that Moniker more widely accepted and used and in turn associated with Wigan, I'm highly sceptical that will work, it's too late what was the strongest brand to push here - Wigan RL or Warriors?.

I would definitely not want to be 'Wigan RL.'

'RL'.. ?  Yeah that means a lot.

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So you agree, this isn't "leading" as the marketing is pushing ever so hard to suggest? 

Its sad because the warrior in the middle is actually the only part that really sucks. That is the core lack of identity part of it.

Yep I would agree its the Warrior image, that is a male warrior image in the middle that for me is naff... as I say in smaller social media images it just looks miserable, plus I would have thought not aligned with our RL image of family including women as well as women playing the game...

The circle is fine, although for me it reminds me of more of coming from London underground...

the hoops are mentioned as being a key feature in how we did it... yet are almost invisible, especially on social media small image...

Just now, redjonn said:

Yep I would agree its the Warrior image, that is a male warrior image in the middle that for me is naff... as I say in smaller social media images it just looks miserable, plus I would have thought not aligned with our RL image of family including women as well as women playing the game...

The circle is fine, although for me it reminds me of more of coming from London underground...

the hoops are mentioned as being a key feature in how we did it... yet are almost invisible, especially on social media small image...

Its a lot of nonsense tbh. I think given the interview with the designer thats now come out the brief given was clearly "warriors" focussed which to me seems a dead end.

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It’s quite funny that it’s Leeds & Saints fans who seen most concerned with Wigan’s new badge when one has a cartoon animal on their’s and the other had a 60’s TV show symbol for years.

The badge is average,the overall design is ok,the warrior could have been better,but like the Leeds kit thread is it really worth pages & pages of discussion.

Believe me I'd love to change the Rhinos badge, but at least we have an excuse that it was made in the 90's 😆 the club do seem to be putting the city crest on more stuff so hopefully one day they will revert to it fully.

With the Trinity rebrand back to heritage being successful I thought that was going to be the trend. 

Just now, Mattrhino said:

Believe me I'd love to change the Rhinos badge, but at least we have an excuse that it was made in the 90's 😆 the club do seem to be putting the city crest on more stuff so hopefully one day they will revert to it fully.

With the Trinity rebrand back to heritage being successful I thought that was going to be the trend. 

The Rhinos brand is far too successful for them to drop it - it needs an update though.

15 minutes ago, Pulga said:

They're the Warriors. They now have a warrior in their logo along with a "WW". It's brand alignment. They're not the Wigan Castles or anything else.

The logo is part of a cohesive brand. The old one wasn't.

They really shouldn't bow to internet experts, no matter how passionate they are about some logo they've gotten used to. 

They're not though that's the problem. Unlike the teams that have embraced the epithets of the mid 90s it seems Wigan, like Hull, KR, Wakefield and Saints, never really did. Wigan dropping the warriors would have gone virtually un-noticed thats how low key it was. 

You don't have to be a marketing genius to work out this hasn't gone down well and objectively isn't that good. Its unrecognisable and indistinct from a distance and up close.

Archived