Second PNG team in the Queensland Cup?

Pulga

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news, I bagged out Hatcher recently, but the way the Qld comp has introduced other teams is great for the game, PNG Hunters, Pacifique Trieze and now possibly another PNG team has been visionary. There is a vast untapped resource in players from these regions.

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

2 teams from PNG and 1 from New Caledonia and and 1 team from Fiji  in the NSWRL great news

So what the odds of a complete break away Qld. comp one day with their own TV contract. Wouldn`t the Queenslanders love that, throw in the Northern Territory, I don`t think the standard of League would even be much different.

24 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

So what the odds of a complete break away Qld. comp one day with their own TV contract. Wouldn`t the Queenslanders love that, throw in the Northern Territory, I don`t think the standard of League would even be much different.

Why would it have to break away?

Qld cup games are broadcast. I don't know how many though.

new rise.jpg

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fabulous news. Any chance of Tonga and Samoa following suit?

At the meeting moment, no. There's no talk about it. The Fijian team has been in the works for years and years. Hopefully in the future though.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Why would it have to break away?

Qld cup games are broadcast. I don't know how many though.

Because they`re Queenslanders and I`m sure they would love nothing more than to tell NSW to ###### off and have their own comp. And I think a lot of Queenslanders would prefer their team play another Qld team on friday night than watch them play Wests Tigers, Canterbury or Newcastle or some other `cockroach` team they have no interest in. They would have to have four teams playing out of Brisbane though to dilute the strength of the Broncos.

But getting back to your original question, say if the the Qld comp continues to grow and strengthen, than I can`t see any reason why it couldn`t take the step up and be a premier comp in their own right.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Because they`re Queenslanders and I`m sure they would love nothing more than to tell NSW to ###### off and have their own comp. And I think a lot of Queenslanders would prefer their team play another Qld team on friday night than watch them play Wests Tigers, Canterbury or Newcastle or some other `cockroach` team they have no interest in. They would have to have four teams playing out of Brisbane though to dilute the strength of the Broncos.

But getting back to your original question, say if the the Qld comp continues to grow and strengthen, than I can`t see any reason why it couldn`t take the step up and be a premier comp in their own right.

There's not enough population centres in Qld for that. The Broncos are a a listed company on the stock exchange. They're not going to jump into a Super League style regional competition.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

About time we got a UK based franchise in the NRL. We’ll base out of say Perth for when we’re in Oz but we’ll have home games across the M62. 

Some SL clubs don't want an 8 hour flight to Canada, what makes you think NRL clubs would go for a 24 hour flight to the UK? 30 hours for NZ Warriors. And why would you base a UK franchise out of Perth for their away games? They would simply be shuttling backwards and forwards across Australia. It would be the TWP of the NRL but with 3 times the jetlag thrown in.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

About time we got a UK based franchise in the NRL. We’ll base out of say Perth for when we’re in Oz but we’ll have home games across the M62. 

Let's do a little thought experiment shall we.

On another thread, you are adamant that England shouldn't play the French because it won't do us any good and would be worthless.

Now, put yourself in the shoes of the NRL... why would they be inclined to let a UK team into the NRL?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Two in an hour or so, I didn’t expect it to be that easy. 

Fair enough. Now I know you are only here on the wind up, I can steer clear.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Over the past few years Channel 9 has televised one Queensland Cup game live per week in Queensland.  Due to the televising of the Sunday afternoon NRL games they kick off early afternoon, often in insane heat. Most of the grounds aren't up to much and the crowds are generally a few hundred.  Good fun though and if you love your league its a cheap day out and reasonable standard of rugby.

44 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Some SL clubs don't want an 8 hour flight to Canada, what makes you think NRL clubs would go for a 24 hour flight to the UK? 30 hours for NZ Warriors. And why would you base a UK franchise out of Perth for their away games? They would simply be shuttling backwards and forwards across Australia. It would be the TWP of the NRL but with 3 times the jetlag thrown in.

He's having a laugh mate.

new rise.jpg

Will it catch on. Ottawa to Hemel then.

“The Papua New Guinea Hunters rugby league team will base itself in Queensland for the 2021 Intrust Super Cup season.”

mE7SU7iR.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

When competitions are separate, when there aren`t divisions through which a club can climb on playing merit, it`s better for every club to focus on growing the competition they`re currently in.

The Digicel Cup is an important competition for PNG nationally. It`s been a long and fraught process building it. There`s a new Sepik franchise bid in the pipeline. Denuding them now of one of their major franchises is not good for the game overall.

The Hunters are a useful bridge, and Pacifique Treize makes sense because it breaks new territory. However, PNG RL fans are already NRL- obsessed, if the Vipers are added to the Hunters in the Q Cup, it risks too much attention being directed outwards.

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

There's not enough population centres in Qld for that. The Broncos are a a listed company on the stock exchange. They're not going to jump into a Super League style regional competition.

Leaving the Broncos aside for the moment, there`s 650 000 people on the Gold Coast, 350 000 on the Sunshine Coast, Townsville are the Cowboys home town and are one of the most financially secure clubs in NRL, the western corridor and central Qld are bidding to join the NRL so must consider themselves having a big enough supporter base to be an NRL team, so were talking 5 teams there.

Even if they went with two teams out of Brisbane and three expansion clubs that would be an 18 week home and away season plus finals. And if they still wanted to test themselves against the southern teams they could do it through a club championship or SOO. still.

With regards population there`s 2 million in Brisbane and 3 million regionals, NSW has 5 million in Sydney and 3 million regionals as well. So apart from the capital cities there`s not a lot of difference except that Sydney has way too many teams and Qld can avoid that situation.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

When competitions are separate, when there aren`t divisions through which a club can climb on playing merit, it`s better for every club to focus on growing the competition they`re currently in.

The Digicel Cup is an important competition for PNG nationally. It`s been a long and fraught process building it. There`s a new Sepik franchise bid in the pipeline. Denuding them now of one of their major franchises is not good for the game overall.

The Hunters are a useful bridge, and Pacifique Treize makes sense because it breaks new territory. However, PNG RL fans are already NRL- obsessed, if the Vipers are added to the Hunters in the Q Cup, it risks too much attention being directed outwards.

This is an interesting point, my immediate reaction was how good it would be for the game in PNG, but obviously this is an alternative view. I feel the same about the game in France, would love to see more French teams in the Lancashire & Yorkshire (sorry European) League system but not if it’s to the detriment of Elite 1. 

On 03/11/2020 at 01:25, Eddie said:

This is an interesting point, my immediate reaction was how good it would be for the game in PNG, but obviously this is an alternative view. I feel the same about the game in France, would love to see more French teams in the Lancashire & Yorkshire (sorry European) League system but not if it’s to the detriment of Elite 1. 

With out being patronising the Australian dollar goes a long way in PNG and the money from QRL and NRL grants for a new PNG franchise will employ a lot of people outside the immediate playing group as they gear up to enter the competition. I don`t think that the Digicel Cup is about to collapse because another team enters the Intrust Cup. If any thing it may even invigorate it further, PNG are a long way from ever having their own professional League that can compete with Aussie dollars, a better strategy would be to aim for 5 or 6 teams in Australian competitions, especially given the number of players and talent in that country, could be easily in the 10,s of thousands.

Another franchise is a form of overseas investment with many positive externalities apart from just the participation in a sporting competition. Australia has a long history of engagement with PNG including funding progams to reduce the endemic domestic violence in that country which was run through their Rugby League clubs.

On 02/11/2020 at 09:41, The Rocket said:

Based on how they played this season I don’t think the Broncos would even need diluting😆

On 02/11/2020 at 23:49, The Rocket said:

Leaving the Broncos aside for the moment, there`s 650 000 people on the Gold Coast, 350 000 on the Sunshine Coast, Townsville are the Cowboys home town and are one of the most financially secure clubs in NRL, the western corridor and central Qld are bidding to join the NRL so must consider themselves having a big enough supporter base to be an NRL team, so were talking 5 teams there.

Even if they went with two teams out of Brisbane and three expansion clubs that would be an 18 week home and away season plus finals. And if they still wanted to test themselves against the southern teams they could do it through a club championship or SOO. still.

With regards population there`s 2 million in Brisbane and 3 million regionals, NSW has 5 million in Sydney and 3 million regionals as well. So apart from the capital cities there`s not a lot of difference except that Sydney has way too many teams and Qld can avoid that situation.

Let's say 2 in Brisbane then one each for GC, Townsville, Toowoomba, Cairns and SC, Ipswich that's only 8 teams. Not really enough to jump from the NRL.

new rise.jpg

On 02/11/2020 at 22:55, unapologetic pedant said:

The Kumuls head coach has said their aim is to have as many PNG players in the NRL and SL as possible. It raises the level. They eventually come back and it helps the domestic competition.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The Kumuls head coach has said their aim is to have as many PNG players in the NRL and SL as possible. It raises the level. They eventually come back and it helps the domestic competition.

As with most things, it`s about finding the right balance. Ideally they would prefer to be in a position to raise the level from within.

A lot of players did go back to a Digicel Cup team this year, but in normal times there are no guarantees. If the links between their domestic game and overseas comps are not appropriately tiered, pathways can become mere escape routes. The ongoing NZ-to-Aus exodus has always militated against successful NZ RL comps.

Archived