Parliamentary debate on RL (Merged threads)

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The adjournment debate in the House of Commons on Monday is to be about support for Rugby League during the Coronovirus pandemic, it's by Yvette Cooper. Might be interesting.

M.P. for Ponte and Cas i hope she puts a word in for FEV.Seriously i think Rugby League should be in front of Football for a handout.The  Premier League should contribute towards the lower divisions.No use Championship and League 1 clubs expecting our Super League's help .Most S.L. clubs are in a worse financial statethan the lower division teams.

To avoid this being punted to the politics forum, keep the subject to the Rugby League related content of the debate in parliament, and not party political point scoring or arguing the toss about lockdown rules.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Quick update. The debate's timed for 10.00 - 10.30pm or for 30 minutes if previous business overruns (which, as it's about the new COVID restrictions is highly probable). Parliament channel's on 504 for those with Sky.

And 232 on terrestrial. 

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:
Oral questions
Defence (including Topical Questions) 
2:30pm 
General debate
Covid-19 
Adjournment
Support for rugby league during the covid-19 outbreak - Yvette Cooper

Before this is locked for being within a thousand Km of politics

1) (including Topical Questions) ??????  HOP or Public school debating society?

I also take adjournment to mean anyone with any decision making capability can bog off then.

Locked. ???????

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• John Drake changed the title to Parliamentary debate on RL
On 31/10/2020 at 23:26, John Drake said:

To avoid this being punted to the politics forum, keep the subject to the Rugby League related content of the debate in parliament, and not party political point scoring or arguing the toss about lockdown rules.

Thanks.

Just a reminder.

Read the above and abide by it.

Thanks.

• John Drake changed the title to Parliamentary debate on RL (Merged threads)

This is a massively important issue for the pro game in this country as we know it. On this particular matter I wouldn't care who was raining in fact a Tory would be better. If non league football can get funding then RL should (as opposed to the loan we got). 

RL fans should be pressing their MPs to support this issue.

As I understand it the adjournment debate will in effect raise the profile of an issue and hopefully pressurise the Government into taking affirmative action.

From the Government website

"There is a half-hour adjournment debate at the end of each day's sitting. They are an opportunity for an individual backbench MP to raise an issue and receive a response from the relevant Minister."

The answer from relevant minister is almost gauranteed to be "we put in place a wide range of support measured for amateur sport across the country - i will look into the honorable members particular points and get back to her" as that is what happens with most adjounement debates (and always has done)

They are not really a debate more a point in time when a matter of interest can be publically brought up and recorded

Posting this only as a matter of record. If considered political, can the mods move it to the political sub-forum, please?

10.00 pm

Yvette Cooper (Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford) (Lab)

It is good to see you in the Chair for this debate, Mr Speaker; I know how strongly you have always supported rugby league and its impact on our communities. This morning, we heard that Castleford Tigers’ next two super league matches have been called off because more of the players have tested positive for covid. I know that you and other Members of the House will join me in wishing those players, as well as the staff who have been affected, a speedy recovery. It is another reminder of the continued impact of covid on the sport, on our rugby league clubs, on local jobs and on our communities.

etc...etc...etc...

Mr Speaker: Just to say, I think you had a funeral Friday night when St Helens played Wigan with the defeat they had.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2020-11-02/debates/CBB05B41-156F-4B7F-98D1-FF335A87188F/Covid-19SupportForRugbyLeague

on BBC iPlayer (TV) , 3 hours 28 mins in. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000p7dw/house-of-commons-02112020

Archived