LONDON BRONCOS FOR SUPER LEAGUE 2021

11 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

We should really follow the Fev way, you know dual reg, rely on Leeds and past it has beens ..... as for Fevs academy, dont make me laugh

I never mentioned Fev, barring the reference to the game at London. Still, if you're insistent on discussing academies...if it's ok for this year's Challenge Cup finalists and last year's Grand Finalists not to run an academy despite getting £2m a year, why shouldn't it also be ok for a current Championship team to do so, given that it's basically just a development ground to be siphoned off by SL teams? 

Regarding DR....Fev have been one of the leading Championship teams for over 10 years, topping the league 4 years in a row well before DR really took off, they were against DR when it was introduced, and they seem to get grief because once they decided to use it they did it better than anyone else.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Now that we know the situation re TW the SL has to decide who replaces them.

IMHO only 1 choice LONDON BRONCOS they were relegated with 10 wins last season and replaced by TR so only fair that they are given their place back.

And before everyone starts moaning about small gates etc I can tell you now that the only way forward for more sponsorship is with a strong London club.

If we go for 11 teams next season it will be the worse decision ever having been made.

Paul

I've made this point before

It would be the only logical choice. We would have to recruit very quickly and very well though 

After a few games split into 3 leagues of 8, call the first one super and the winner is the best in Europe, but weirdly the second set of 8 will be the most exciting, also give the team finishing first in the second set of eight à trophy then let the best 4 in this league play with the first league of 8 for a few games the season after but only if the fourth best team beat the 5th best team in a one off game, maybe give this team a trophy too, or give this team a trophy instead of the team finishing first, (I'm confusing myself now) And  just forget about the third league but leave them a trophy for the team that finishes first or maybe make them play a final for said trophy but against a team in their own set of 8 in this league . 😁

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Still, if you're insistent on discussing academies...if it's ok for this year's Challenge Cup finalists and last year's Grand Finalists not to run an academy despite getting £2m a year, why shouldn't it also be ok for a current Championship team to do so, given that it's basically just a development ground to be siphoned off by SL teams? 

Good justification ? Maybe questions need to be asked

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Of those, I discount Fev because they aren't fully professional.

Wouldn't that put Fev in the best position? The full-time Championship clubs would have to replace most of their squad because they wouldn't be good enough, so how would they manage to move them on to get them off the wage bill? Hybrid Fev would start by replacing part-timers, and mix the newcomers with a handful of full-timers who have beaten everyone in front of them over the last 15 months.

2 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Wouldn't that put Fev in the best position? The full-time Championship clubs would have to replace most of their squad because they wouldn't be good enough, so how would they manage to move them on to get them off the wage bill? Hybrid Fev would start by replacing part-timers, and mix the newcomers with a handful of full-timers who have beaten everyone in front of them over the last 15 months.

No, because the top flight of the game cannot have part time players in it. It is Fev who would have to replace most of their squad.

3 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Diametrically opposite - what most open minded folk regard as Toronto in SL would be a positive, they would acknowledge that Fev would be a useless pointless addition

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, because the top flight of the game cannot have part time players in it. It is Fev who would have to replace most of their squad.

That's exactly what I was saying - They would have to replace their part-timers with Super League quality players, rather than having to replace full-time Championship players who aren't good enough for Super League.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Could, but at the current rate unlikely. In any case their proposal in September to step up was as a part time team. Without the commitment to full time no team should be allowed into super league.

Between now and next season it would be impossible to recruit a full time team of the quality needed. Take Kris Welham as an example joined Fev because he wants to play part time so he can concentrate on the family business so should the club bin him because he’s part time? He would clearly have the ability to play in SL next season, should be about ability to play at that level rather than full or part time 

Just now, Steve Slater said:

That's exactly what I was saying - They would have to replace their part-timers with Super League quality players, rather than having to replace full-time Championship players who aren't good enough for Super League.

I really don't see how that puts them in a better position, see what happened to Sheffield when they "went pro". London and Toulouse (even Leigh) have some SL quality players, they could far easily add a few to their squad rather than bring together a whole new team in 2 months

2 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Between now and next season it would be impossible to recruit a full time team of the quality needed. Take Kris Welham as an example joined Fev because he wants to play part time so he can concentrate on the family business so should the club bin him because he’s part time? He would clearly have the ability to play in SL next season, should be about ability to play at that level rather than full or part time 

Can only be in SL if you're full time. London and Toulouse would only need to recruit to improve their squads, rather than a full overhaul

1 hour ago, Magic XIII said:

We should really follow the Fev way, you know dual reg, rely on Leeds and past it has beens ..... as for Fevs academy, dont make me laugh

No what we really need is a club with no fans relying on a rich owner to make ends meet - worked so well for Toronto 

My choice - 2 x 10's with TW,TO,Newcastle, Widnes, Bradford, Fev, Leigh, Avignon, York/Ottawa and 1 from the SL in SL2

Interesting view from Leigh/ Derek - Fev/London have a bigger claim than Leigh on last full season, his preferred would be London but he thinks they will run with 11 but if thats to do with cash then Leigh will offer to come in on Championship rates and spend full cap.

Personally whoever gets in will be on a hiding to nothing and be down again in 2022, so for my club I say wait.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can only be in SL if you're full time. London and Toulouse would only need to recruit to improve their squads, rather than a full overhaul

Leigh were FT in 2020, and will be FT in 2021 but even stronger looking at announced and heavily rumoured recruitment

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Money?

I dont really see much beyond 16, and i dont see much beyond 8 being full time.... so that might give 2 divs of 8.

Nope its very do-able. £3.6m due to 2 less in SL and £3.6m from the championship T8 giving 10 clubs 720k - although I would offer TW and the French clubs less to incentivise finding a national deal

So they vote Toronto out without giving any thought beforehand as to what to do next. What about a governing body that plans for the future . Super League clubs should not and obviously cannot run the game as they are interested only in themselves not the game as a whole. 

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Nope its very do-able. £3.6m due to 2 less in SL and £3.6m from the championship T8 giving 10 clubs 720k - although I would offer TW and the French clubs less to incentivise finding a national deal

We have what 14-15 clubs who are professional. I can’t see five existing teams going full time. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And how do you pay for SL2 or are you just proposing a smaller Super League and renamed Championship?

I think 2 SLs would mean no relegation from SL2.  And yes, where does the money come from.  20 is too many. 

If we are to compete for players with NRL we need viable clubs, otherwise our standards fall.  It seems too many on here just want Wigan and a couple others to produce players for them and be happy to see the best go to NRL. 

I'm coming to think the Cap should be increased significantly. 

Archived