LONDON BRONCOS FOR SUPER LEAGUE 2021

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Nope its very do-able. £3.6m due to 2 less in SL and £3.6m from the championship T8 giving 10 clubs 720k - although I would offer TW and the French clubs less to incentivise finding a national deal

Budgets of 720k isn't exactly SL2 is it? Its pretty much what the top Championship clubs get anyway. Also unless that £7.2 million going to SL2 is funded by a TV deal it is a complete waste of money, money that Sky pay for to get a product worthy of the name Super League.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 11 SL clubs might want to increase their share of the cake and stick at 11 and ditch whoever finishes 11th next year.  Just 10 teams for 2022 means even MORE money for the big boys.  The big clubs might even be able to run reserve grade then!

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

London and Toulouse (even Leigh) have some SL quality players, they could far easily add a few to their squad rather than bring together a whole new team in 2 months

London lost the equivalent of an entire starting 13 from the team that finished bottom in SL, and have so far lost 5 or 6 of their better players from their much weaker 2020 squad. Their current roster is bottom half of the Championship material.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I think the reality is that there isn't a club that could realistically step up now and make a really good fist of it for 2021

It's NOVEMBER already. We are only three months away from the start of next season, for goodness sake.

The chances of anyone being able to put together a competitive squad is virtually zero. The Championship clubs have effectively been 'on ice' for the past 7 months, with skeleton staffs and almost everyone being on furlough (what's the betting that most of the clubs will now be putting their staff back onto furlough until December?)

The only reason for the other SL clubs to vote in another club is to have a guaranteed 'whipping boy' team for next season so they can be safe from relegation. Actually, now that I think about that.... 😉

Why not admit a Champinship team in, then have no regulation for one season to allow them to bed in. These are exceptional times.

5 minutes ago, wiggler said:

I think the 11 SL clubs might want to increase their share of the cake and stick at 11 and ditch whoever finishes 11th next year.  Just 10 teams for 2022 means even MORE money for the big boys.  The big clubs might even be able to run reserve grade then!

If it stays at 11 then they will lose a lot of SL subscribers 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Budgets of 720k isn't exactly SL2 is it? Its pretty much what the top Championship clubs get anyway. Also unless that £7.2 million going to SL2 is funded by a TV deal it is a complete waste of money, money that Sky pay for to get a product worthy of the name Super League.

Correct.  People are running round in circles.  But the trouble is some people  and their clubs just want to take other clubs money off them.

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Had a good old think 

If they go for 11 teams  I'm cancelling my Sky. Too repetitive even with 12 really

Will just watch Broncos live at home and whatever radio/YouTube there is for the away games.

I'll save my elite level rugby for the WatchNRL app

Bye! 

15 minutes ago, wiggler said:

Someone always has to finish last - if you have 10 "big boys" then as teams struggle you end up with 9 big boys, then 8 etc etc - smaller league puts more pressure on the managers, the players and eventually the owners as it gets harder and harder to win games in a small league.

A very fair point - perhaps we could end with a SL of just 4 teams by 2030 -  Leeds, Saints, Wire and Wigan who would play each other incessantly over an 8 month season.  I suspect some of those 4 clubs might actually like that idea!  A few years ago Bradford might have gone for it as well!!

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If it stays at 11 then they will lose a lot of SL subscribers 

Why? 

If you’ve said it was because the game was heading down the plug hole on a professional & amateur level I’d have saluted you Sir but an 11 team Super League is the least of our problems.

14 minutes ago, wiggler said:

They already did.  But remember the virus??  But never mind what you call the 'big clubs'... maybe one day the small clubs will get off their knees and do something for themselves.  But they wont, they just want to whinge.   The fact is they want all the trappings of being part of some fancy organisation but dont earn the crust they want to be given.

The future is the amateur clubs and the schools, thats where the aspiring players come from. There is no need for a half way house between full time and amateur.

11 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Someone always has to finish last - if you have 10 "big boys" then as teams struggle you end up with 9 big boys, then 8 etc etc - smaller league puts more pressure on the managers, the players and eventually the owners as it gets harder and harder to win games in a small league.

you are living in a parallel universe.

14 minutes ago, wiggler said:

A very fair point - perhaps we could end with a SL of just 4 teams by 2030 -  Leeds, Saints, Wire and Wigan who would play each other incessantly over an 8 month season.  I suspect some of those 4 clubs might actually like that idea!  A few years ago Bradford might have gone for it as well!!

I can’t work out whether you’re serious or not. 

You may well be right.  Cubs with a long history and contributions to the game such as Fev, Leigh, Barrow and Oldham may well be anachronisms past their sell by dates.  All the opportunities they gave to up and coming players and older players on the way down are an expensive irrelevance.  Give them all a call and tell them not to bother coming back next year.  The game will be better off without them and their 'whingeing'. Stop giving them 'crusts' and let the big clubs have it all.

Does everyone agree with Rupert?

6 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

They should get there on merit, not just be invited in. Same goes for any other Club. My team lost the Play Off to Toronto, but the same goes for us.

Toronto havent been kicked out on merit though have they, its been a vote....

1 hour ago, Damien said:

the top end championship? 2 clubs get more than that the rest between 150-450k. £720K is more than enough to go FT and build for SL1 and the relegated club isn't cast adrift with a bunch of number fillers to keep fans interested.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think 2 SLs would mean no relegation from SL2.  And yes, where does the money come from.  20 is too many. 

If we are to compete for players with NRL we need viable clubs, otherwise our standards fall.  It seems too many on here just want Wigan and a couple others to produce players for them and be happy to see the best go to NRL. 

I'm coming to think the Cap should be increased significantly. 

All clubs should cultivate tomorrows stars, 2 big issues though 1, the Big clubs hoover up the talent with no cap enforced on numbers 2, you need to offer a FT pathway/career to attract the better kids. 

Limit the numbers and/or recruitment area and have more FT clubs able to offer the career - SOLUTION

The cap MUST be significantly increased - we currently set mediocrity as the bench mark and the lack of men able to step up during the Covid league shows the need for reserves

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Thought the vote was to give them another chance - any other club would have been kicked out

Nope they have been told they cant compete in the comp that they earned a right to be in on the pitch.

They then had a vote in a kangaroo court to say go away.

Also they didnt get a share of funding.

Whats amusing is that the RFL wanted Toronto in.

11 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

the top end championship? 2 clubs get more than that the rest between 150-450k. £720K is more than enough to go FT and build for SL1 and the relegated club isn't cast adrift with a bunch of number fillers to keep fans interested.

It doesn't pay it's way though. It just dilutes Super League, the very thing Sky pays for.

Archived