LONDON BRONCOS FOR SUPER LEAGUE 2021

33 minutes ago, wiggler said:

You may well be right.  Cubs with a long history and contributions to the game such as Fev, Leigh, Barrow and Oldham may well be anachronisms past their sell by dates.  All the opportunities they gave to up and coming players and older players on the way down are an expensive irrelevance.  Give them all a call and tell them not to bother coming back next year.  The game will be better off without them and their 'whingeing'. Stop giving them 'crusts' and let the big clubs have it all.

Does everyone agree with Rupert?

Towns like Fev,Leigh, Barrow, Oldham, Fax, Rochdale, Leigh, Bradford, Wakey & Cas are the game. Giving them a call & telling them not to come back will end the game in the UK.

apologies to anybody I left off the list of towns in the games heartlands where lads playing the game in the local park is depreciating every year. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Towns like Fev,Leigh, Barrow, Oldham, Fax, Rochdale, Leigh, Bradford, Wakey & Cas are the game. Giving them a call & telling them not to come back will end the game in the UK.

apologies to anybody I left off the list of towns in the games heartlands where lads playing the game in the local park is depreciating every year. 

This ..... and in 20 years when there are no 'Junior' players coming through SLE will just be a 3rd division of the NRL

In wake of what has happened at Toronto I can understand those who say London should take their place.

There is logic in that to be fair.

But again in view of what has happened with Toronto the decision taken has in my opinion asked more questions than it has answers.

The most obvious is who(if anyone)takes their place?

What is the criteria?

If a team is”promoted”from the Championship to take their place and Toronto do not go into the Championship then what happens there?

Do they”promote”a team from Championship 1 to the Championship?

If so who?

To me more questions than answers.

For me, if they are to promote a club, it needs to be a sustainable club financially and one with Ambition.

Lots of clubs mentioned and some of the Championship clubs are probably better off financially and some have by far better stadia too.

I cannot see how they can give a place in SL away, and it is too late in the day for a Championship side to produce a squad good enough in my opinion to compete week in and week out in SL for next year.

11 next year and make 2022 12 teams with 2 teams next year promoted. One as League Champions and one as play off winners. Offset the payment to the 12th team and contribute it to the second promoted club the following year.

Apologies to the likes of Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford and Hull KR, but SL is gagging for fresh blood and these 4 clubs who are constantly under achieving will need to pull their fingers out next year.

SL this year is just boring, and was pre covid with the Wolfpack playing. It was great with London and Leigh giving it their all. Both were unlucky with just a lack of skill, quality and luck not going their way.

What happened to Toronto was inevitable, and was from the start. Sorry expansionists, but I am all grass roots rugby. We are too small for Global ventures, but London, Newcastle, Wales, Cumbria and York will do for me !!

6 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Apologies to the likes of Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford and Hull KR, but SL is gagging for fresh blood and these 4 clubs who are constantly under achieving will need to pull their fingers out next year.

Two major finals in successive seasons is ‘underachieving’ ???

3 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Two major finals in successive seasons is ‘underachieving’ ???

It's almost habit for some to kick certain SL clubs, they actually forget Salford have made two major finals in successive seasons. 

Almost like they are using copy and paste … 

I agree that London should be upgraded in light of the TW vote. However I do not see any longevity in London increasing support and revenue. They have been mobile most of their existence and despite producing some talent if RL are serious about growing the game we need to look to a second French team. Toulouse look ideally placed to create a French derby. Away fans love a trip to France and we need to be looking to heartlands eg France or a Cumbrian team. 

All these people talking of London been given a spot in superleague are forgetting that it’s now a completely different London that got relegated. They have lost all there top players from that year and are now a mid table championship team . No team should just be given a spot it should just be 11 teams and one promoted the following season .

39 minutes ago, JonnywilkinsonRL said:

I agree that London should be upgraded in light of the TW vote. However I do not see any longevity in London increasing support and revenue. They have been mobile most of their existence and despite producing some talent if RL are serious about growing the game we need to look to a second French team. Toulouse look ideally placed to create a French derby. Away fans love a trip to France and we need to be looking to heartlands eg France or a Cumbrian team. 

I watched the Toulouse  v Swinton game last year and to say the least it was pretty ordinary ( picked up a speeding ticket  on the way back ). Toulouse are miles off SL standards. Swinton beat  them.

That said I understand they have sponsorship backing  far in excess of most SL clubs  so who knows ?

1 hour ago, del capo said:

I watched the Toulouse  v Swinton game last year and to say the least it was pretty ordinary ( picked up a speeding ticket  on the way back ). Toulouse are miles off SL standards. Swinton beat  them.

That said I understand they have sponsorship backing  far in excess of most SL clubs  so who knows ?

As is every Championship club is way off SL standards. If Toulouse have the backing and can spend the full cap then they can build and improve. Having to build a new team that is equipped to play at a higher level in a higher league is the case for every promoted team in any sport. Heck if they have the finance give them some type of new team allowance to let them spend a million more to allow them to really compete.

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

Nope they have been told they cant compete in the comp that they earned a right to be in on the pitch.

They then had a vote in a kangaroo court to say go away.

Also they didnt get a share of funding.

Whats amusing is that the RFL wanted Toronto in.

I want TW in for the good of the sport but unless we have guarantees up front we put the sport at greater risk should this happen again.

I stand by a club that can't complete its fixtures despite offers of players to do so, and not paying staff/creditors forfeits its rights to be in that league.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

As is every Championship club is way off SL standards. If Toronto have the backing and can spend the full cap then they can build and improve. Having to build a new team that is equipped to play at a higher level in a higher league is the case for every promoted team in any sport. Heck if they have the finance give them some type of new team allowance to let them spend a million more to allow them to really compete.

Does that apply for other clubs who wish to join SL, indeed should existing SL clubs to be forced to spend full salary cap.

13 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Does that apply for other clubs who wish to join SL, indeed should existing SL clubs to be forced to spend full salary cap.

What that they should be allowed to spend more? Yes I actually think it would be a good idea if we are looking at getting clubs up to speed for Super League. Whether many clubs could is a different story.

I'm not sure on clubs being forced to spend the full salary cap. If they cant I don't see why they should be forced out of business and I would like all clubs to be sustainable. What I would prefer is not to have an artificially low salary cap that allows such clubs to do the bare minimum and cling on in Super League by their fingertips. Clubs should be better encouraged to show ambition and allowed to do so if they wish. If they have none other clubs should take their place.

12 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

no they won't end ...they'll play part time on sunday afternoons with young kids

while sky /BT sport will do what they have wanted to with rugby league...MAKE IT BIG!!!

4 hours ago, Damien said:

As is every Championship club is way off SL standards. If Toulouse have the backing and can spend the full cap then they can build and improve. Having to build a new team that is equipped to play at a higher level in a higher league is the case for every promoted team in any sport. Heck if they have the finance give them some type of new team allowance to let them spend a million more to allow them to really compete.

Last year  I heard that Toulouse had a promised sponsorship portfolio greater than that of  Wigan

Archived