LONDON BRONCOS FOR SUPER LEAGUE 2021

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

Toulouse are the only team announcing signings and chasing super league standard players, it looks like they've had the heads up for mine(quoting stevo) 

Leigh, Fev, even York have announced some major signings with more likely on the way for at least one of those clubs.Toulouse clearly had to do something after their crushing defeat at home in the Final Eliminator last year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I want TW in for the good of the sport but unless we have guarantees up front we put the sport at greater risk should this happen again.

I stand by a club that can't complete its fixtures despite offers of players to do so, and not paying staff/creditors forfeits its rights to be in that league.

So Hull KR should be thrown out? Or Widnes?

There is a suggestion that whoever might be elevated will only be offered £1M of TV funding, leaving the remainder to be shared out amongst the rest. 

Sounds like the Bradford scenario once again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

and what do we do with Catalans, who must play 4 more games to reach HKR's total

Well have they cancelled or has the other teams? They havent announced they arent bothering have tgey so why single them out?

18 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Two major finals in successive seasons is ‘underachieving’ ???

Salford have done brilliantly in the past season or so, but the ball park I am talking about is a decade rather than a season.

They still struggle to muster 4k fans, but i take your point, Salford reaching the GF and getting to Wembley was like a breath of fresh air !

4 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Salford have done brilliantly in the past season or so, but the ball park I am talking about is a decade rather than a season.

They still struggle to muster 4k fans, but i take your point, Salford reaching the GF and getting to Wembley was like a breath of fresh air !

Also they keep having to rebuild their team every couple of years as the big clubs pick their stars off. We really need a league where it’s not a foregone conclusion every year that the major finals will be contended by the big 4 (Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire), fresh faces stimulate interest amongst casual fans, Wigan v Saints episode 21 doesn’t!

3 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Also they keep having to rebuild their team every couple of years as the big clubs pick their stars off. We really need a league where it’s not a foregone conclusion every year that the major finals will be contended by the big 4 (Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire), fresh faces stimulate interest amongst casual fans, Wigan v Saints episode 21 doesn’t!

Same salary cap, so why not draft picks ??

4 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

In the current world where the clubs own the academies, and have the players under contract before they come through..... indulge me, how much of a magic wand are draft picks going to need?

Im going to make a claim for Fax. We have signed 2 current SL players and not only that, this is the big one, we have had 2 players that have been taken from our current squad to SL teams. 1 of them is averaging like 55 tackles a game so the standard in SL really can't be that high so we are clearly ready. We are the plug and play option. 😀

On a serious note there is no fair way to pick the team who takes Toronto's place. The teams that are not picked will be able to pick holes in any process and I am just glad my team will not be part of any charade this time around. FWIW my picks would be Fev or Tolouse as I think both deserve a shot. Leigh are the most recent basket case, London have had chances and IMO have found their level and thats really the only 4 clubs that should be in the mix. Out of all those Tolouse have the highest ceiling while Fev and Leigh are capped by the teams around them. London have been tried and tried again, I just can't see the game taking off there at SL level but thats not to say they can not bring a lot to the lower levels through producing players tec.

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

For one it wouldn't stand up to any legal scrutiny. Secondly it would just give clubs that currently cant be bothered to develop any players even more excuse not to do so.

9 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

On a serious note there is no fair way to pick the team who takes Toronto's place. The teams that are not picked will be able to pick holes in any process and I am just glad my team will not be part of any charade this time around. FWIW my picks would be Fev or Tolouse as I think both deserve a shot. Leigh are the most recent basket case, London have had chances and IMO have found their level and thats really the only 4 clubs that should be in the mix. Out of all those Tolouse have the highest ceiling while Fev and Leigh are capped by the teams around them. London have been tried and tried again, I just can't see the game taking off there at SL level but thats not to say they can not bring a lot to the lower levels through producing players tec.

FFS I spoke too early.

I just want to make a few points here.

Firstly,, those championship clubs who have spashed out big time on a squad allegedly for a Championship season that may yet be affected by COVID may have some financial difficulty if not selected for Super League

Secondly, I have always maintained there is not that much difference between the bottom six in Super League and the top six in the championship except SKY funding. So If we were going to be fair here surely you would evaluate the claims of all clubs to be in Super League for 2021 according to criteria to be determined by the RFL

Thirdly, Why no mention of fallen Super League clubs Widnes Vikings and Bradford Bulls ?

Fourth point, CKN posted that Catalans were supposed to be the catalyst for a French League when allowed in to Super League My understanding was that they were supposed to raise the standard of the French National Team. By whatever yardstick you are judging them that has failed. For sure Catalans are a mid ranking super league club but thta was not the mission statement. I cannot see Toulouse changing that nor being attractive to broadcasters.

Fifth point, the championship club coming up with four months to cobble together a side could be on for a hiding each week. I will maintain London Broncos 2013 season damaged the club fanbase and that was a side cobbled together for Super League after our owner had pulled the plug.

Finally, are we not kicking the can down the road here. The whole reset of Rugby League in the UK rests on three questions

• How many professional clubs can the game sustain?
  • What should the structure be to acomopdate those professiopnal clubs?
  • How best to expand the gameplaying, supporting and financial base across the Country?

This is the debate that should be under way but is not.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

36 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Finally, are we not kicking the can down the road here. The whole reset of Rugby League in the UK rests on three questions

• How many professional clubs can the game sustain?
  • What should the structure be to acomopdate those professiopnal clubs?
  • How best to expand the gameplaying, supporting and financial base across the Country?

This is the debate that should be under way but is not.

Do you mean the whole reset of Super League?

Who would have the debate? Elstone and 3 Lancashire based club owners or the 2 governing bodies?

It's a broken jigsaw and all the pieces have fallen to the ground.There seems to be no individual who cares sufficiently to pick the pieces up and put them together again.

Expand is pie in the sky.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived