• Other
  2. 2. How should new team enter SL

• Promotion
    • Licensing

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

70% of people favouring licensing so far. We should just do away with playing matches and have teams winning cups and getting promoted teams based on other criteria, like proof of funds etc. 

In fairness I don't see how "promotion", presumably on field, could be achieved.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

In fairness I don't see how "promotion", presumably on field, could be achieved.

True, in which case they should wait until someone can get promoted. Well the simple thing to do would have been admit Toronto 🤔 

Just now, Eddie said:

True, in which case they should wait until someone can get promoted. Well the simple thing to do would have been admit Toronto 🤔 

Quite, but this is the sport that voted to keep a penniless Bradford in the championship with a huge points deduction so everyone could cash in on their away fans.

There’s no option for eleven again for 2021, which I think is probably the best option, all things considered, right now. 

Firstly, it’s hard to make a point for promoting anyone based off of a list of criteria while we have a structure in place that rewards onfield performances and teams below Super League haven’t played for the best part of eight months now and any team promoted would have players playing having not played for a year. It would be highly unfair on some. I also think it would be unfair to promote anyone at this late stage and expect them to compete, I thought the same with a Toronto re-admission, especially given they were down to around six players and the season is pencilled in for February-March time next year. 

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s no option for eleven again for 2021, which I think is probably the best option, all things considered, right now. 

Firstly, it’s hard to make a point for promoting anyone based off of a list of criteria while we have a structure in place that rewards onfield performances and teams below Super League haven’t played for the best part of eight months now and any team promoted would have players playing having not played for a year. It would be highly unfair on some. I also think it would be unfair to promote anyone at this late stage and expect them to compete, I thought the same with a Toronto re-admission, especially given they were down to around six players and the season is pencilled in for February-March time next year. 

Yes you’re right, the clubs must have made their decision because it would have been unfair on Toronto to readmit them 👍

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Yes you’re right, the clubs must have made their decision because it would have been unfair on Toronto to readmit them 👍

That’s not the point of what I’ve said. I feared that if Toronto were voted in, they’d be at a huge disadvantage at this stage. That’s got nothing to do with how people voted and it’s the same if anyone does come up. But you know that, you’re not a complete thicko Eduardo, you’re just letting your knees jerk without much information behind it. 

Another 2nd French team and an expansion in Toulouse is the only chance of real growth and the only thing that could give me any enthusiasm for 2021. If London were playing at a ground more befitting of Super League then I'd have said them too but I'm sorry to say as things currently stand they offer nothing in their current form. A top flight club playing to tiny crowds at a glorified park offer nothing and would do no favours in the quest for a new TV deal. 

And yes bring licensing back.

Give Toulouse the spot and seal the door until another well-resourced team with good investors comes along. The game in the UK is kidding itself thinking it can operate with so many clubs that may have to go professional should they perform well on the field. I'm sure the 500 or so fans each of most of the lower tier clubs won't like the decision but who really cares at this point? 

49 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Right now avid Australian agents and their aging semi crippled clients are crying in their Tooheys. 

We can be sad and disappointed about the failure of TWP.  But it was badly managed and its so called rescue half baked.

And no amount of politicking will change that.  The absence of TWP only serves for some people to use it (the failure of TWP) as an excuse to close down SL and spread its money elsewhere.

The notion from some hysterics that the future of our game will itself fail because we don't have TWP is bizarre. 

Of more import is how we finish the season, with Cas cancelling next 2 games.

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Right now avid Australian agents and their aging semi crippled clients are crying in their Tooheys. 

We can be sad and disappointed about the failure of TWP.  But it was badly managed and its so called rescue half baked.

And no amount of politicking will change that.  The absence of TWP only serves for some people to use it (the failure of TWP) as an excuse to close down SL and spread its money elsewhere.

The notion from some hysterics that the future of our game will itself fail because we don't have TWP is bizarre. 

Of more import is how we finish the season, with Cas cancelling next 2 games.

Right I will comment on the right subject and in my opinion sport will struggle to make ground breaking decisions or changes from the status quo when its the SL clubs who ultimately have the final decision. Whether your after TWP Ottowa, Tolouse to get to the elite competition the clubs will always put self interest first. Historically the RFL have when ground breaking changes have happened the RFL have led and the clubs have followed but for years the game has been devoid ofreal leadership. 

Just go 11 and make magic a 9s event for a year. Who ever would be promoted would be facing having to overhaul their squad at a time when most are finalising theirs, just to be thrown into a relegation battle. I certainly wouldn't want a team going up with relegation cancelled again, even if it were Leigh. It just isn't fair on the 4/5 clubs that have genuine ambition to potentially have 2 attempts at promotion taken away.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Many a true word spoken in jest 

And in this case it would have been 

So re admit for 2022 , you never know we might have got somebody better than liVolosi or whatever his name is 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Another 2nd French team and an expansion in Toulouse is the only chance of real growth and the only thing that could give me any enthusiasm for 2021. If London were playing at a ground more befitting of Super League then I'd have said them too but I'm sorry to say as things currently stand they offer nothing in their current form. A top flight club playing to tiny crowds at a glorified park offer nothing and would do no favours in the quest for a new TV deal. 

And yes bring licensing back.

And you lose me 

And plenty others 

Swings and roundabouts 🤔

1 hour ago, eal said:

Give Toulouse the spot and seal the door until another well-resourced team with good investors comes along. The game in the UK is kidding itself thinking it can operate with so many clubs that may have to go professional should they perform well on the field. I'm sure the 500 or so fans each of most of the lower tier clubs won't like the decision but who really cares at this point? 

So my support of pro RL has no value ? 

Thanks for that , how much a year do you put into RL in the UK ?

One relegated from Super League in 2021, two promoted from the Championship. 

Magic to be turned into an International 9s weekend. With travel restrictions likely to be in place you can have as many nations as you need from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Jamaica and you can pretty successfully make rep sides from the south sea islands, New Zealand and Australia. If we can’t have Magic and capacity is likely to be limited, if allowed at all, don’t just settle for a Super League Nines, do something different and out of the ordinary for a weekend. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

One relegated from Super League in 2021, two promoted from the Championship. 

Magic to be turned into an International 9s weekend. With travel restrictions likely to be in place you can have as many nations as you need from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Jamaica and you can pretty successfully make rep sides from the south sea islands, New Zealand and Australia. If we can’t have Magic and capacity is likely to be limited, if allowed at all, don’t just settle for a Super League Nines, do something different and out of the ordinary for a weekend. 

Where would you play this Magic international 9s tournament with those teams you mentioned? Mount Pleasant would be too big, such would be the lack of interest. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Where would you play this Magic international 9s tournament with those teams you mentioned? Mount Pleasant would be too big, such would be the lack of interest. 

It won't matter , nobody will be attending 

Archived