• London
    • Toulouse
    • Fev
    • Leigh
    • Other
  2. 2. How should new team enter SL

• Promotion
    • Licensing

Currently 3 leagues of 11, 14 and 11 respectively?

My vote, however messy for 1-2 years would be to get next season to a 12-12-12 and stick to that for the forseeable.

Top 4 in Championship as it stands playoff for promotion to SL and bottom 4 playoff to avoid relegation, fixtures played in Feb/March for a return for all 3 leagues in April

Yes that would mean little prep time and likely a quick relegation back down but at least it is a merit system

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Celt said:

So almost 10% of voters would like to see a 3rd team from the Greater Wakefield area. 

Mmm. That will add a lot to the competition, and doubtless help us to attract those elusive big-name sponsors.

I’d go further than that, kick Catalans out and get Normanton Knights in. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The whole “rugby league is dying”, “rugby league hates expansion” etc mob will look mightily sillier than they already do if one of London or Toulouse get in. 

They won’t vote Toulouse in, why pay for 25 Wizzair flights to France when you can let the players drive themselves along the M62 to away games. 

31 minutes ago, Celt said:

So almost 10% of voters would like to see a 3rd team from the Greater Wakefield area. 

Mmm. That will add a lot to the competition, and doubtless help us to attract those elusive big-name sponsors.

Having Wigan, Saints and Warrington all in SL is okay, but not the WF 3?

A well organised sport would have  had plans in place. Super League clubs cannot run the game as they are only self interested and unable to plan long term for the greater good of the game. Loop fixtures are a boring joke so the only way is to increase the number of teams in SL. Yes less money per team from Sky but the clubs need to do more to promote themselves and gain fans and sponsorship etc. T.O. ,London and Newcastle in for me.

46 minutes ago, Celt said:

Why on earth does it matter where they’re from

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

Why on earth does it matter where they’re from

Because of all our clubs are in one tiny area it will reduce the chance of getting sponsorship from national organisations. Instead you’ll end up with Streethouse Newsagents. 

Though that said if three teams from a tiny area win promotion on the field then so be it. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

70% of people favouring licensing so far. We should just do away with playing matches and have teams winning cups and getting promoted teams based on other criteria, like proof of funds etc. 

I think you are confusing being in a competition and winning a competition.

Licensing/PR is a way to choose who is in.

Playing each other in a format pre-set and agreed is the way of awarding the rewards finanicial and trophy/titles

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Playing each other in a format pre-set and agreed is the way of awarding the rewards finanicial and trophy/titles

The objective of winning a league below the top tier is to get promoted though. With licensing you can quite easily winning a league while a team who finishes below them gets promoted instead. It lacks sporting integrity. I know it works in other countries in other sports but they don’t have the same set ups or richness of semi pro and amateur teams that we have. Nobody would ever suggest that the Premier League has licensing instead of P&R. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Because of all our clubs are in one tiny area it will reduce the chance of getting sponsorship from national organisations. Instead you’ll end up with Streethouse Newsagents. 

Though that said if three teams from a tiny area win promotion on the field then so be it. 

Do you have a list of the National clubs cueieng up to join the pro game ?

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

That's fine , but I'll be watching the football instead 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The objective of winning a league below the top tier is to get promoted though. With licensing you can quite easily winning a league while a team who finishes below them gets promoted instead. It lacks sporting integrity. I know it works in other countries in other sports but they don’t have the same set ups or richness of semi pro and amateur teams that we have. Nobody would ever suggest that the Premier League has licensing instead of P&R. 

Its the way the amateur game is run, you cant get into the national leagues unless you meet the criteria. Regardless of your prefered method (or mine) the difference between deciding who competes at each level is seperate to how the comps are decided

Oh and on the premier league, the top clubs in europe are again discussing a closed shop breakaway

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Its the way the amateur game is run, you cant get into the national leagues unless you meet the criteria. Regardless of your prefered method (or mine) the difference between deciding who competes at each level is seperate to how the comps are decided

I doubt any NCL club would actually want to join League One, and I’m sure they could if they wanted to. 

Seeing as it's a business case that has been used to decide that TWP are out, it will have to be a business case that another club can prove is good enough in order  to have the 11 chairmen let them in. So which club can beat what TWP were coming forward with?

Which is unfortunate because who gets to be in the top flight should be decided by sporting endeavour on the pitch, RL is a sport and no fans turn up on match day to cheer on the chairman with the largest wallet

Archived