• Toulouse
    • Fev
    • Leigh
    • Other
  2. 2. How should new team enter SL

• Promotion
    • Licensing

Just now, LeytherRob said:

I'm saying Toulouse and Leigh are probably the closest being full time and both having decent squads so far, but both would be a few signings away. To be honest I'd be quite happy to match what Leigh did last time in SL and finish 11th in the regular season this avoiding relegation. 

Even so, what's come before is irrelevant because it is who is in the best position to make the step up at short notice, and I've already stated Toulouse should be realistically the number 1 pick.

Personally as a Leigh fan I wouldn't want to go up this way anyway, I've already stated I believe they should run with 11 and promote for 2022. It's going to take a herculean effort to go up at such short notice and avoid last place.

Still a bit irked about that I see?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s possible to be pro-expansion and, from the evidence that’s been released into the public domain so far, to think that the Toronto bid to return to Super League was not up to scratch. 

Hardly any evidence has been released though, certainly not enough to take a decision. 

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Still a bit irked about that I see?

Not at all, we knew the rules and deserved to go down. Simply refuting the point of Leigh being whipping boys last time around. Granted, we were a basket case in 2005, but competed well in 2017, could probably say we were unlucky with regards to injuries but that's sport. I was just happy to see us get the chance to compete after a few years in the wilderness.

Just now, LeytherRob said:

Not at all, we knew the rules and deserved to go down. Simply refuting the point of Leigh being whipping boys last time around. Granted, we were a basket case in 2005, but competed well in 2017, could probably say we were unlucky with regards to injuries but that's sport. I was just happy to see us get the chance to compete after a few years in the wilderness.

Fair play to you. Thought it might have been a sore point I've heard a few Leigh fans complain of it before. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Fair play to you. Thought it might have been a sore point I've heard a few Leigh fans complain of it before. 

I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt at the time, but never sore at the system or any perceived injustices, only that survival and a chance to really build some positive momentum was within our grasp and we choked when it counted. We were good enough to stay up that year, we just didn't do the job in the end. Just another sliding doors moment for a Leigh fan.

Looks like York are going for it, according to their Social Media

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

4 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Looks like York are going for it, according to their Social Media

York are an interesting one. A decent sized city with it's own catchment area and far enough away from the existing Yorkshire clubs. A long amateur history to boot.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

York are an interesting one. A decent sized city with it's own catchment area and far enough away from the existing Yorkshire clubs. A long amateur history to boot.

The Yo-Yo side of the 1970's, their highlight being making the Yorkshire Cup final in 1978. Oh! and one CC semi appearance in the eighties. Might as well promote Oldham and move them back to Boundary Park.

I'm honestly not that bothered who they pick as long as it's not London, which would be another slap in the face for Fev after what happened in 1995. If they're going to favour London they must also give them a bigger slice of the Sky money and a bigger salary cap in order to give them a chance of success, because a struggling London with smaller crowds than Fev, who had to make way for them in '95/96, is nothing short of an embarrassment.

What's more important, however, is ensuring that the half-dozen or so clubs in the Championship who are just as good as the also-rans in SL are given a fair crack in years to come to ensure we have a strong competition when the not so super clubs are kicked out and have to join the second tier to make way for the expansion clubs. In years to come I believe the top tier will consist of 5 or 6 British clubs, two or three French, and about three or four North American or Irish clubs  Then it will be a proper Super League. 

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s working so well, isn’t it?

The only teams that have ever successfully transitioned into SL are ones promoted organically. Every artificially promoted team with the possible exception of London, has ultimately failed.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Catalans say Bonjour. 

That’s fair, they had slipped my mind.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

18 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Salford, Catalans, etc made an effort, TW just withdrew from the league.

The 'lower leagues' were cancelled. Some wanted to play, so do you let the ones who wanted to play in, and the ones who didn't out?

The league continued so the clubs could recieve the TV payments, Toronto had been froze out of this deal and therefore would have made a loss playing so others could get paid.

Would you work for months at operational costs to yourself so others could be paid?

Hull KR have withdrawn today so do the clubs get to vote them out of the league? Do they have to submit a bid to re enter next year? 

Probably not as they are part of the Yorkshire mafia 

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on in regards to Toronto Wolfpack, in the twenty-four or so hours after their expulsion from the competition, we’ve had one club pull out of the competition and another club being penalised for failure to pay a debt. Now, this year is particularly difficult for everyone but when does it become enough and we realise the structure we have both on the pitch and off it, is fundamentally broken? 

We’ve got a voting system that sees the RFL and Super League hold the same voting power as the clubs, a fractious relationship between Super League and The RFL and now a slowly growing disdain from Super League clubs towards Super League itself. 

A major overhaul is needed. 

35 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

In years to come I believe the top tier will consist of 5 or 6 British clubs, two or three French, and about three or four North American or Irish clubs  Then it will be a proper Super League. 

You really think there’ll be North American clubs in it. I’m sad to say I think that ship has sailed now, the SL clubs don’t want them as there’s no easy access from junction 14 of the M62. 

Archived