Bye Bye Toronto

ernieone

Bunch of greedy teams happy for them to join when it ment they didn't get any money so they got more. Now they need money instead of being self sufficient they say no we don't want you. I dare bet if they offer up a place to a championship team they won't give them full entitlment of money 

Very short-sighted. Does that mean that they are now a defunct outfit or are they still members of the RL? Can they apply to re-join at championship leagues level, would they want to as they probably could no longer afford nor could the RFL/teams the costs which they covered previously? This decision effectively puts an end to expansion of the British game and must put a question mark now over Ottowa continuing. It also opens the door wide for SL to dictate almost every part of the RFL AND re-introduce the closed-shop which ruled until 2015,  thus going back to the championship clubs being a totally pointless consideration. Might get a player though!!

Short sighted and ridiculously poorly handled. It was always an almost impossible task to survive given the limits placed upon them. It depresses me how ego centric many SL teams seem to be, and we should all be worried by the direction taken by the SL leadership and clubs.

What else could they have done,? let a club/team dictate whats what before they join in again.not paying wages unless they got what they wanted, One thing TWP did prove is you can dig into your big pockets and buy a place in SL,and tell everyone along the way for first couple a years to watch and learn as they destroy everything and show us how it needs to be done.they fell short and maybe if they had the TWP in a better shape when they quit it could have been taken over with ease and only dropped down to championship rather than been left ruined.

On 02/11/2020 at 19:12, ernieone said:

Bye Bye Toronto, Cannot say I am disappointed in fact I am pleased with the result. 8-4 and one sat on the fence is a decisive margin..

I felt sorry for the Toronto fans in Canada, though the hand wringing on the main forum is hilarious.

Leigh have had a go.

Ok fev have thrown brass at success past 5 years but I'll go with toulouse for the next invitation....

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

16 hours ago, ernieone said:

It was short sighted letting them in to the league. There actual input to the game has been nil.

Apart from getting the game more exposure and column inches in the national press than the rest of the teams have managed since the 80s. Until TWP came on the scene, I'd never seen RL mentioned on breakfast tv, yet they managed it. 

Personally, I didn't think it was a good idea bringing in a team that could not play at home until half way through the season due to the weather.

However, to vote them out because of not fulfilling fixtures and debts, seems a little rich, given that 2 of the SL clubs that voted them out, have ended the season early (HKR) without fulfilling their fixtures, and another has decided to stop paying historic debts (Salford) and instead, taken a 6 league point penalty, now that it will not penalise them in any way, and effectively wipes their debts.

I think its a terrible decision by a bunch of self interested SL clubs that have disdain for anyone but themselves. TWP didn't get a share of Sky money yet were expected to continue without any revenue for the rest of the season, having to play all games in the UK - really. Several of the SL clubs that voted against TWP have in the past had financial difficulties shall we say, yet they are still in SL. 

I can't see the point in Ottowa continuing as they too will suffer the same fate as TWP.

Allowing SL clubs to break away and have their own governance away from the RFL was in my opinion a poor decision  - interestingly the so called elite clubs in the football Championship also recently wanted to bribe the rest of the football league to let them break away and thankfully the idea was for now rejected.

It was 12 team competition but the Sky money was shared by 11 teams - so those in the championship that see them selves as a replacement for TWP are assuming that the existing 11 SL teams are willing to dilute their share of the pot.............

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The icing on the cake, possibly with a cherry on top, will be if Leigh or Fev get to take their place 🙃

Yes, it appears Toronto have already been forgotten now by the progressive fans who have switched allegiance to Toulouse. 

It's only taken one promotional video!

On 02/11/2020 at 20:32, toffeedog said:

Bunch of greedy teams happy for them to join when it ment they didn't get any money so they got more. Now they need money instead of being self sufficient they say no we don't want you. I dare bet if they offer up a place to a championship team they won't give them full entitlment of money 

I hear that whoever gets invited will only be offered £1M of TV money.

The interesting feature is that it is the SL that is offering a place in their league, on application,  yet the decisions about who is or isn't eligible for promotion theoretically lies with the RFL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 03/11/2020 at 13:29, ernieone said:

It was short sighted letting them in to the league. There actual input to the game has been nil.

Nil in comparison with the massive input by which clubs over the last four years Ernie?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The interesting feature is that it is the SL that is offering a place in their league, on application,  yet the decisions about who is or isn't eligible for promotion theoretically lies with the RFL.

Just goes to show what an absolute shambles and mockery Rugby League has become. 11 clubs saying you can come and play in our competition if you like but you will not receive as much money as the rest of us - like it or lump it.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought there was a 'catch all' clause that allowed for SLE to invite someone into the club? They can certainly veto a club being promoted. 

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Nil in comparison with the massive input by which clubs over the last four years Ernie?

It does not have to be a massive input just stability. For starters the input of running super league teams within a budget, providing supporters with competitive rugby, bringing players to super league through academy systems etc, giving championship players the chance to move up to super league. Generally Keeping RL going.

What have Toronto achieved got promoted from 2 divisions with a bigger budget than the other teams, playing weakened teams either because part time players cant take extra time off to go out there or players refused permits to enter Canada. Toronto get into super league bring in high maintenance players then decide  not to complete there fixtures not pay there players and expect to be readmitted to Super League..

I remember a interview with a ex St Helens player who said he was amazed at the money the players were getting when Toronto  were in the championship.  he pointed out that a number players were getting paid more than his ex team mates at St Helens who were winning Super League. 

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

8 hours ago, ernieone said:

It does not have to be a massive input just stability. For starters the input of running super league teams within a budget, providing supporters with competitive rugby, bringing players to super league through academy systems etc, giving championship players the chance to move up to super league. Generally Keeping RL going.

What have Toronto achieved got promoted from 2 divisions with a bigger budget than the other teams, playing weakened teams either because part time players cant take extra time off to go out there or players refused permits to enter Canada. Toronto get into super league bring in high maintenance players then decide  not to complete there fixtures not pay there players and expect to be readmitted to Super League..

I remember a interview with a ex St Helens player who said he was amazed at the money the players were getting when Toronto  were in the championship.  he pointed out that a number players were getting paid more than his ex team mates at St Helens who were winning Super League. 

So, other than a huge investment in comparison, not really any less than most Championship clubs?

And what a mess they left behind too,all to prove some billinair can buy into something he never even planned right ££$£$£ wise,or was even prepared to go the full way to show us how its all done,even ottawa as binned it all now so thats another batch a players looking for a club,and some who gave up jobs too. a great big mess to try swop toronto, ottawa.new york for london,hkr, and  possible chance of maybe fev, leigh,fax,toulose. happy days.

I can't help thinking, the latest report about the newly promoted team, only receiving £1M in funding speaks volumes about the vote. 

The vote has been left very late, making it much more difficult for a new team to strengthen and recruit a competitive side.

Then add to the mix, the SL clubs offer a place, but with much lower funding than the rest. It certainly looks like the clubs didn't want a well funded club that could challenge and compete, it looks like they just want to recruit a whipping boy, to help them to stave off relegation for another year. 

It is so sad to see, that this once proud game, has degenerated in to such a small minded, self interested, tin pot sport.

Archived