Heartlands championship?

gnidir

With the Wolfpack news, it looks as though 'Super league' has set out its intentions for the future.

Far from the original concept of a Europe wide league, with a worldwide club system, it looks like more decline in the wider public interest moving forwards.

With this in mind, and with the amount of rebranding going on (Ironically, in Wigans words to, attract new fans) is it an idea for the 'Super League' to rebrand to what it actually intends to be, a Heartland Championship.

The general state of play appears to be that they will let you play so long as you pay all costs and take none of the revenue generated. This is, of course, their prerogative, its their league, but calling it a 'Super League' is starting to look wildly out of place. 

I dont see any clear vision of the games future at the top level, aside from bold statements about rebellious nature and other such marketing.

I feel that the 'Super league' actually has failed to understand what professional sports leagues are; there is confusion about who's job it is to nurture new talent, about who can fit at the top level, and a clearly blurred line between traditional amateur competitions that put teams at a level from which they can compete, and professional leagues, who have franchises, identities who compete at a level for which they can afford, and add growth to the 'marketplace' that is a league (See the NFL).

So, genuine question, is it time to call it what it is, a heartlands championship and hope for the return of those fans from the good old day?

Just now, LeytherRob said:

Wow there's a lot of toys being thrown out prams this evening. It's actually quite amazing how a club that didn't exist 5 years ago, in a country no one considered remotely important to SL has now become the sole metric of success for the competition. 

I think its more that they epitomise the spirit of the sport for some, open, ambitious and international, or insular, self serving and stunted. 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I think its more that they epitomise the spirit of the sport for some, open, ambitious and international, or insular, self serving and stunted. 

Maybe they do epitomise  some of the sport. Half-baked ideas, broken promises, financial irregularities.

My guess for next SL season is 11 teams. I suspect catalans will find 2021 very difficult due to on, off travel restrictions and can see them being a likely relegation candidate in 2 to 3 years time. As for toulose, Ottawa, belgrade, I think that will be the end of that.

So, without wanting to risk getting back on topic, I actually think the idea of a "heartland" league is where SL is inevitably heading (with inevitably less funding flowing in) by 5 years time. I suspect the amateur game to still be played far and wide, but the very few viable pro clubs left will be m62. This might fill people with dread, but I suspect it now as inevitable and maybe we should just embrace it, alongside enjoying amateur expansion, and the nrl at the top. 

Archived