What now for Ottawa Aces?

So where does the decision to boot Toronto out of the SL leave the Ottawa dream?  On the surface they seem to be in a very similar position to Toronto 3 years ago but must have thought if Toronto can do it so can we. Would you want to invest heavily to get through tiers 2 and 3 of the RFL to get into Super League based on Toronto's experience?  After a foolhardy money losing international in Denver back in 2018 I think we can kiss goodbye to our pipe dreams of north american expansion.After all we couldn't make it work in Carlisle or Cardiff so why were Colorado and Canada going to be any different?  At least I got to see SBW play at Leeds this year so it was all money well spent in my book.  Perhaps Siddal could take on the Los Angeles Rams in next year's Challenge Cup with President Biden to ceremonially kick off of another American dream.  Or should that be nightmare?

On 03/11/2020 at 10:54, UBranger said:

I think TWP and Ottowa plus others should start their own league in Canada. 

Yeah get Ottawa, New York championship bids and whatever is left of Toronto Wolfpack to talk to the USARL & CRL about forming a North American 6-8 team semi pro comp?

And why would they bother to join a sport that didn't want them in the first place.

I think if I were Perez I'd be considering pulling the plug now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Its a right bloo dy mess isn't it.

Pretty much and I think that maybe the finish for expansion with the withdrawal for 2021.

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

Pretty much and I think that maybe the finish for expansion with the withdrawal for 2021.

Yes mate, it feels ominous.

On 05/11/2020 at 09:11, Oxford said:

And why would they bother to join a sport that didn't want them in the first place.

I think if I were Perez I'd be considering pulling the plug now.

On 06/11/2020 at 08:52, fighting irish said:

Its a right bloo dy mess isn't it.

One of the things I never really understood about the Canadian venture is why they would risk their money on such a long shot as Canada, with all the travel and associated costs and not being able to play at home for the first 3? months of the competition etc. when it may have been more likely to succeed if they put their money into a British expansion club, say a Newcastle or really give London a red hot go with a SBW etc. Another French team may have been a more viable option even, at least the game has some history there.

Get the Super League Europe really pumping first and then maybe think about further afield.

Anyway Perez seems more like the real deal to me than the other two and hopefully it works out, any bloke who puts that much effort into the game is worth their weight in gold in my opinion and should be lauded.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Get the Super League Europe really pumping first and then maybe think about further afield.

Anyway Perez seems more like the real deal to me than the other two and hopefully it works out, any bloke who puts that much effort into the game is worth their weight in gold in my opinion and should be laude

Get Super League really pumping?  That would be good.

Perez is the real deal as you say, though if you look at some of the reactions on here, the desire for almost everything that might make it pump to fail is what stands out.

• 1 month later...

I'm in for an ARL - 12 team Americas Rugby League;  Vancouver Toronto Ottawa Montreal and perhaps Halifax NS (just to confuse the flatcappers who will arrive in Nova Scotia after a 5 hour flight and wonder why the air is salty) as well as Chicago Cleveland Boston (more befuddled FC's!) Philadelphia and New York plus Jamaica and a Latin Heat. Allow players from anywhere, a USD 3 million salary cap. 

Should work nicely!!

On 10/12/2020 at 05:55, RobertAM said:

...a Latin Heat. Allow players from anywhere, a USD 3 million salary cap. 

3m (GBP or USD) would do way more for Latin America than one team.

I'll give you a fully professional Central American Super League for half that. 

new rise.jpg

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, George1992 said:

Ottowa are going to be in League 1 in 2022. They will have a ton of fixtures to be completed in June July time when they will be playing in the newly created North American Rugby League competition.

Not sure if you’ve heard, but NARL has been cancelled…

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up of it happening next year either or ever happening at all.

I'm not trying to over think about it to be honest. Its something that has just got me interested. I wouldn't however be surprised if more North American teams want a go in our leagues if the North American RL never happens but anything can happen between now and next year.     

The current proposal is to run two Ottawa teams next year, one in League 1 and the other in the NARL (or equivalent).

One, both or neither of these may happen but they appear to be keeping their options open for the time being.

Unlike TWP, Toulouse and Catalans my understanding is they have a proper licence (via M.K.) for League 1 so (I think) are full members of the RFL / pro ranks. That's an interesting asset to own - I have no idea if the RFL are even allowed to say, no you cannot play in League 1 next year.

• 1 month later...

From what i know is that Ottowa will play in two competitions from 2022. How that will work is yet to be known. They will need a couple of separate teams. The flight to Ottowa will still be a long one but slightly shorter than we team went to Toronto. It would be interesting to see the reactions of the locals and even to see their turnout will be able to match that of the Wolfpack home matches.  

Archived