Ask not for whom the bell tolls

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And exactly the same could be said, about Brexit, Boris becoming PM, A Tory landslide victory and Trump's win 4 years ago, all of those where very unpopular to the majority of poster's on these pages, but for some reason they think that the minority vote should rule, get over it Gerrum and accept the majority verdict albeit I expect like the other subjects the losers will keep screaming and stamping their feet for a long time to come.

No idea where any of that list of events fits into yesterday to be honest.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No idea where any of that list of events fits into yesterday to be honest.

You said "it lends weight to posters’ arguments that the wrong verdict was reached" I was pointing out the useual response from the majority of posters on this site back the wrong horse, then moan for a long time after the event. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

You said "it lends weight to posters’ arguments that the wrong verdict was reached" I was pointing out the useual response from the majority of posters on this site back the wrong horse, then moan for a long time after the event. 

Oh, not very relevant to the conversation I was having with another poster, but if it helps you then great.

14 hours ago, Roy Haggerty said:

The Toronto decision isn't significant just because of that poor, mucked-about, betrayed club. It's significant because of what it says about our whole sport in this country.

I don't think any of us quite appreciate how close we are now to returning to semi-pro status, before gradually dying out. We now know the TV deal will be significantly less. We also know that most, if not all, of our championship and league 1 clubs are at the point where the doctors are soon going to be asking the family whether they want to switch off life-support. The finances of even our largest clubs have been ripped apart by Covid.

What we essentially had was a sh*t or bust decision to make. We're trapped in a small cave and the water's rising. We can either dive down and at least try to find a way out, or we can just keep clinging to the shrinking air pocket until the water hits the roof. That decision speaks volumes about just how bad the clubs know the situation is.

I've loved this game for nearly all my life. I've watched it, played it, coached it and refereed it. It's a wonderful game, and it's nearly always been dreadfully administered and led. When I was younger and still thought there was hope for change, I used to waste hours arguing about the need to expand or die, to take risks and invest in them, and to make decisions based on a clear-eyed view of what the game needed, rather than a misty-eyed view of what old-but-failing clubs wanted. We've had our opportunities, but we've never taken them, and every time the door to a better future was opened a crack, there was a stampede of close-minded "fans" and fearful clubs, racing to slam it shut. Only tonight, I read on twitter more than a few comments from people celebrating, yes celebrating, the demise of the only club to have demonstrated an ability to grow a large new fanbase in a virgin market in nearly a century. The same mindset honestly insisted that replacing Toronto with tiny village teams like Featherstone or Leigh would somehow be an improvement for the game. I don't even know how to begin comprehending the size of the blinkers anyone would need to wear to think that.

Nobody's coming to rescue us. The NRL will be happy counting their cash alongside the AFL as a curious standalone Antipodean pro sport. All but one and a half French clubs are already a few part-time payments away from being a pub team. There's a very high chance that a large number of lower league clubs are going to fall over very soon as a result of Covid. And RU will happily take our five or six decent-sized SL clubs once the minnows find they can no longer pretend to professionalism after the new TV deal cuts their income.

I advise everyone to enjoy what you can, because we're not many years away now from the end. That bell's tolling for us, and it's deafening.

A long absurd comment with a basis on shifting sands

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

In my locality alone we have lost what we’re strong Amateur clubs. We have recognisable clubs who once ran 16 teams at all age groups now running just 1 to 4 teams but no one seems to be concerned with this at the RFL or SL headquarters.

We have to find a better balance between having a strong premier competition & heavy investment in the foundations of the game. We must rebuild from the bottom up or we will just delay the inevitable again.

In the modern world there is no prospect of people playing a heavy contact game like RL in the numbers they once did.

Top down enterprises have never worked in the UK. Whoever sends out the signals, however much money they initially have, there aren`t enough people with antennae to receive them. RL here only grows from the bottom up. North-East RL is stronger today than would ever have been likely had Gateshead Thunder continued as a plantation SL club.

Put these facts together, and the conclusion is that we can only prosper by growing membership and participation numbers. And we can only substantially grow membership and participation numbers through non-contact forms of the game.

In the past decade two areas of success have been Tag RL and Female RL. These have some things in common. They were both grass roots movements, operating under the radar of the RFL and SL clubs with little if any assistance. More recently the female game has received limited support and recognition, but non-contact forms are still not seen as relevant.

If our administrators continue to see the game only in terms of Men`s Tackle RL, all the trends in society are against them. Plus, the balance that Omega mentions between premier competition and foundations will remain damagingly skewed.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

(CONTENT DELETED BY CKN)

Content deleted. It's a banning/suspension level offence to allege corruption with zero proof. I will accept it as a typo though of "went" rather than "bent" given the other typos in the post and the context of how you wrote it

Be careful please...

I have to delete the entire post as we have to be so careful with things like that.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, iffleyox said:

without ever entering the 'delirious cheerleader' realm I've always been at least relatively pro Toronto on here. However, I can confirm from outside the heartlands that for every one person who thought the inclusion of Toronto was exciting/innovative/etc, I spoke to at least a couple who thought it was ludicrous and in a funny sort of way made it even more small time.

Had TWP been the flagship franchise for a thriving local RL scene people might have judged them differently. There are numerous successful precedents, not least in RL, for overseas based franchises. Everything being parachuted in and out is what would make them seem "ludicrous" and "small time". And the fact that this was the model indefinitely.

Their administrators appeared indifferent to what type of "Rugby" was played in Ontario educational institutions. Where was the plan to build foundations for the game? As such they were conducting their affairs much like our myopic, short-termist local businessmen SL club owners.

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

Content deleted. It's a banning/suspension level offence to allege corruption with zero proof. I will accept it as a typo though of "went" rather than "bent" given the other typos in the post and the context of how you wrote it

Be careful please...

I have to delete the entire post as we have to be so careful with things like that.

Wait while fev get the nod for superleague....  you'll need counselling!!🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wait while fev get the nod for superleague....  you'll need counselling!!🤣🤣🤣

*nudge* *nudge* 'ere mate, £5 on Leigh getting the nod just to keep Fev out

😛

(post-statement for those who are terminally sensitive, I am being flippant... obviously it'll be Toulouse...)

(post-post-statement for those still a bit sensitive, I was still being flippant... Surely it's London's turn again...)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Add to that Sport England making it clear its funding was contingent on national development then us sacking those Development Officers except for those few northern areas with local pro clubs who shouldered the burden themselves.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this additional point. Can you explain and tell me a little more about the Sport England funding/development officers issue? 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Shirley, it's all decided prior to the meeting: electors discussing all issues off-line then at the meeting, some discussion but largely rubber-atamping exercise?  

Stop calling him Shirley. 

57 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand this additional point. Can you explain and tell me a little more about the Sport England funding/development officers issue? 

Sport England will only fund national organisations except for very limited and genuinely niche groups. It's a condition of their funding that your proposals for grant funding cover every single bit of England and have plans to develop in them all. By cutting development officers, the RFL put that entire thing at risk because these people did a fantastic job as often the only organised RFL people in some regions.

Sport England will take that into account at every review of funding given and it's our own damn fault if they cut the grants they give us.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Sport England will only fund national organisations except for very limited and genuinely niche groups. It's a condition of their funding that your proposals for grant funding cover every single bit of England and have plans to develop in them all. By cutting development officers, the RFL put that entire thing at risk because these people did a fantastic job as often the only organised RFL people in some regions.

Sport England will take that into account at every review of funding given and it's our own damn fault if they cut the grants they give us.

When is the next review? Do you know? And how much do we currently benefit? 

4 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

When is the next review? Do you know? And how much do we currently benefit? 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen any of this, I’m sure there’s someone who knows the current funding and how much it’s changed over the last few years.

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen any of this, I’m sure there’s someone who knows the current funding and how much it’s changed over the last few years.

It's imminent.

The RFL are in the last stages of putting together their plan for the next cycle.

Archived