• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

2 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

It will go to Toulouse because the RFL and SL are absolutely infatuated with expansion.

I don’t think they are, in the case of SL the question is “can the new club bring more TV money”, in the case of the RFL it’s “we don’t really know, but we did propose Toronto and now lots of people (including a couple of big club chairmen) are unhappy, maybe if we give them Toulouse as a replacement they might forgive us”.

If our governing bodies are infatuated with expansion they have a funny way of showing it!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I don’t think they are, in the case of SL the question is “can the new club bring more TV money”, in the case of the RFL it’s “we don’t really know, but we did propose Toronto and now lots of people (including a couple of big club chairmen) are unhappy, maybe if we give them Toulouse as a replacement they might forgive us”.

If our governing bodies are infatuated with expansion they have a funny way of showing it!

I have personally always thought that Toronto was a step to far. NY is, and so is Ottawa. France, Spain, Ireland is just about fine, but how can you have a Trans Atlantic team expecting a fair crack at the whip ?

SL caught up with Toronto after shelling hiding after hiding to some lower clubs with players on big salaries playing lower league footie.

The RFL will want to make amends. Leigh never finished bottom and averaged just under 7000, but the pull of Toulouse is just too much i feel.

I feel sorry for the Toronto fans and i find it truly unfair at the way things have been handled under the current global circumstances. All I can say is that SL and the RFL must think that the new owner is a phoney, otherwise they would still be in SL.

1 minute ago, Snowys Backside said:

I have personally always thought that Toronto was a step to far. NY is, and so is Ottawa. France, Spain, Ireland is just about fine, but how can you have a Trans Atlantic team expecting a fair crack at the whip ?

SL caught up with Toronto after shelling hiding after hiding to some lower clubs with players on big salaries playing lower league footie.

The RFL will want to make amends. Leigh never finished bottom and averaged just under 7000, but the pull of Toulouse is just too much i feel.

I feel sorry for the Toronto fans and i find it truly unfair at the way things have been handled under the current global circumstances. All I can say is that SL and the RFL must think that the new owner is a phoney, otherwise they would still be in SL.

My view is that Toronto could have worked with the right people running things, as you say they overpaid for has been or never will be players, plus a couple of washed up Antipodeans. Watching the off field operation was a reminder of a past Salford club when Dr K, like Argyle did later with TWP, handed recruitment to Noble and CEO to Vickers, in both instances the results were disastrous. Toronto also needed to have a proper development strategy in place to grow grass roots in Canada, that it didn’t is another example of mismanagement.

Whoever gets invited up should be there because they are the best at passing a defined set of criteria, but as it’s SL/RFL I won’t hold my breath, I just hope they are given enough time to get together a competitive squad without having to overpay too much,  since I would hate to think that the decision will be made in a way to guarantee the new club 12th spit, therefore protecting the incumbents for yet another season! (Oh and for what it’s worth I would prefer 11 teams for 2021, a mid summer mini comp to decide on the 12th club for 2022, thereby allowing that club several months to get a SL capable squad together so that in 2022 they have every chance of competing)

19 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

My view is that Toronto could have worked with the right people running things, as you say they overpaid for has been or never will be players, plus a couple of washed up Antipodeans. Watching the off field operation was a reminder of a past Salford club when Dr K, like Argyle did later with TWP, handed recruitment to Noble and CEO to Vickers, in both instances the results were disastrous. Toronto also needed to have a proper development strategy in place to grow grass roots in Canada, that it didn’t is another example of mismanagement.

Whoever gets invited up should be there because they are the best at passing a defined set of criteria, but as it’s SL/RFL I won’t hold my breath, I just hope they are given enough time to get together a competitive squad without having to overpay too much,  since I would hate to think that the decision will be made in a way to guarantee the new club 12th spit, therefore protecting the incumbents for yet another season! (Oh and for what it’s worth I would prefer 11 teams for 2021, a mid summer mini comp to decide on the 12th club for 2022, thereby allowing that club several months to get a SL capable squad together so that in 2022 they have every chance of competing)

I too prefer to leave it at 11 teams, but 1 down and 2 up.

It's a cracking short-term result for those bottom end SL clubs who know that whoever is promoted is highly likely to finish bottom of the pile in 2021 thus guaranteeing their SL status for another year.

Whatever decision is made, it unfortunately has to be rushed because the longer it takes the harder it will be for the chosen team to compete. 

I have a suspicion there will be no P&R at the end of 2021 though. SL clubs will use the new team as justification in a very thinly veiled act of self-preservation. They'll announce a return to licensing and the artist impressions of revamped/new stadia will be wheeled out again.

47 minutes ago, Colin James said:

It's a cracking short-term result for those bottom end SL clubs who know that whoever is promoted is highly likely to finish bottom of the pile in 2021 thus guaranteeing their SL status for another year.

Whatever decision is made, it unfortunately has to be rushed because the longer it takes the harder it will be for the chosen team to compete. 

I have a suspicion there will be no P&R at the end of 2021 though. SL clubs will use the new team as justification in a very thinly veiled act of self-preservation. They'll announce a return to licensing and the artist impressions of revamped/new stadia will be wheeled out again.

Toulouse should be exempt from relegation in 2021 

3 hours ago, Colin James said:

This is a key point. Whoever is anointed the chosen one is almost guaranteed to finish bottom in 2021, a poisoned chalice? 

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

York have just announced they'll be applying for the 12th spot.

I consider them a better option than Leigh or Featherstone, but still much prefer Tolouse or (if they apply) Newcastle.

why?

38 minutes ago, POR said:

why?

Probably because they're not within 10 miles of other clubs already in Super League?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

9 hours ago, Oldbear said:

My view is that Toronto could have worked with the right people running things, as you say they overpaid for has been or never will be players, was a reminder of a past Salford club when Dr K handed recruitment to Noble and CEO to Vickers, in both instances the results were disastrous.

Yes, the Noble factor hits home yet again.

Is that the Bulls, Crusaders, Salford & Wolfpack he has left in ruins now ?

Hunslet  should be promoted as we finished top of league 1 after 2 games LoLs. And why would we need to ground share with Leeds Utd or Leeds RL as someone posted earlier . We played in the Championship before . Unless they are  meaning Hunslet in Super League, but to be honest no team should be promoted next season from any league as no team has deserved to be , so Super League should run with 11 teams.  

Surely it's got to be Fev or London? one narrowly relegated the other narrowly beaten in the MPG.

Maybe have a play off to decide......... I'd be disappointed if Toulouse or York went up just because they are a shiny new proposition without either getting close to promotion in previous seasons.

Plus Toulouse will have the same issues Catalan have had fulfilling fixtures until the virus is under control.

My gut says they'll promote Toulouse then remove P&R

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

50 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Yes, the Noble factor hits home yet again.

Is that the Bulls, Crusaders, Salford & Wolfpack he has left in ruins now ?

Brian Noble,  the Wolfpack’s Director of Rugby.

“I’ve done everything in the game, but to start something from scratch and build it up to Super League  would surpass what I’ve done before. In two years’ time when we are in the hallowed turfs of Super League, there will be no prouder man than me to walk with David Argyle  to lead the team out. It will be a complete icing on the cake for my career.🥳🎂🤣

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

York have just announced they'll be applying for the 12th spot.

I consider them a better option than Leigh or Featherstone, but still much prefer Tolouse or (if they apply) Newcastle.

Fev get far bigger crowds than York and it's a small pit town..........York City don't do much better either.

Just because it's a big City doesn't mean they'll show any interest in Rugby League (look at Sheffield)

York is where you go for Historical attractions and Fudge

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

39 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Fev get far bigger crowds than York and it's a small pit town..........York City don't do much better either.

Just because it's a big City doesn't mean they'll show any interest in Rugby League (look at Sheffield)

And what do you go to Featherstone for?

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

So a small pit town can do a lot better than the crowds they get but a fairly large city and club playing in a new stadium can't..... That makes sense 🙄

5 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I kind of agree, but the thing with York City is that they are currently playing obscure pub sides every week in division 6 and have been useless for years. If the Knights were in SL actually winning games I could see respectable crowd numbers. Unfortunately I think they'd get smashed every week and then you might as well watch City.

Archived