• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

1 hour ago, hunslet ramone said:

Hunslet  should be promoted as we finished top of league 1 after 2 games LoLs. And why would we need to ground share with Leeds Utd or Leeds RL as someone posted earlier . We played in the Championship before . Unless they are  meaning Hunslet in Super League, but to be honest no team should be promoted next season from any league as no team has deserved to be , so Super League should run with 11 teams.  

indeed it was a cheeky dig at promotion to super league and indeed been refused it last time owing to the ground in the main

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd get a new sat nav if I were you as there are two within that distance 😉

Just for the sake of clarity 😄 DSL grounds distance from LNER Community Stadium...

Mend a Hose Jungle - 32 miles

Headingley - 34 miles

KCOM - 39 miles

Hull College Craven Park - 40 miles

Mobile Rocket - 41 miles

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

used to be Sunday lunchtime strippers in the social club 

don't forget  in the 70's grab a granny on friday night when bus loads and I really mean bus loads of women  from all over came  to the club  many memories and happy days 👅👄👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

21 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the criteria is, who decides the criteria and who makes the decision. I find it unbelievable that the clubs in a division can vote on who they want in that division. It is a colossal conflict of interest. They will feign independence but it wont be.

In any case, I assume they will want to grade clubs on:

- On-field achievements (I assume more recently)

- Stadium

- Commercial viability (whatever they determine that to mean)

- Fanbase/attendances

- Infrastructure/Juniors may come into play.

- Something akin to the old 'catchment area' criteria where you get more for being further away from the heartlands, which makes you better for some reason.

I would suggest the clubs with a realistic shot are London, Toulouse, Fev, Leigh and York. Widnes and Bradford are rebuilding, probably a bridge toop far for Fax and Sheff or other Champ teams and Newcastle shouldnt be seriously considered whilst they are still a League 1 club.

London - did well last time and most recently there so good claim on that front. Obsession with having a London club will be in their favour but they dont stand up too well on other criteria. Propped up by Hughes, awful 'stadium', team on its backside.

Toulouse - Seemingly good on all fronts and tick a lot of boxes. COVID might work against them though if the travel uncertainty continues. 

Fev - Runners-up in last GF plus mist successful Champ team on the field in the last 10 years. Good stadium/facilities, decent fanbase and commercial set-up. Historically good junior set-up but currently lacking. Good squad but would need to convert to FT which shouldnt be an issue. Big question mark is proximity to other SL clubs which seems like the only criteria a lot of people care about.

Leigh - Similar kind of situation to Fev. I imagine in a grading system they would be very close.

York - Lot to like about York including the new stadium and their location as a big city just outside the heartlands. My only concern is that they are new to the top end of the championship and need a little more time to grow. They spend much less than Fev and Leigh and I think need a little more time. They are one coaching appointment away from being Doncaster.

I think they will plump for the safe option of London to be honest even though objectively I dont think they are the best option. Even though I support Fev and would obviously like them to go up, if it wasnt them I would say Toulouse look strongest. I think all of them would do ok though and the sooner the decision is made the better to give them time to prepare.

I don't think proximity to other SL teams should be seen as an issue, 9 of the 16 NRL teams are within spitting distance in Sydney and it doesn't seem to be doing the NRL much harm. I think old rivalries brings out a much better atmosphere, maybe we should be looking to strengthen our core game and our youth setups before looking to expand too far and really invest in our strength as a game.

When SL was cut to 12 teams there weren't really many other teams that you would class as being viable in the top league however a lot of hard work has been done over a number of years below SL and we now we have an emergence of clubs who are actually as well as if not better equipped than some of the SL teams. We now have London, Leigh. Featherstone, York, Toulouse, Widnes, Bradford, Halifax and potentially Ottawa & Newcastle who have the potential to be a good addition to Super League and recent events have shown that not only are Championship players more than capable of holding their own in the Elite comp but actually they excel and perform better than some of the more established current SL players.

You say Rugby League needs to expand or die well I say it has been expanding under our noses but we are looking for expansion in all the wrong places. Clubs need to find revenue streams of their own and be held to a set "bible" of criteria by the RFL.

Super League NOW needs to be 16 teams or more to grow the game and we have both the players and the capability to do it, we would just rather moan about everything we CANT do than everything we can.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

So a small pit town can do a lot better than the crowds they get but a fairly large city and club playing in a new stadium can't..... That makes sense 🙄

A city the size of York can only just sustain the football and rugby league teams with the poor crowds they get. It, s never been an hot bed of sport and I've loved going to Bootham Crescent to watch both. 

18 minutes ago, binosh said:

I don't think proximity to other SL teams should be seen as an issue, 9 of the 16 NRL teams are within spitting distance in Sydney and it doesn't seem to be doing the NRL much harm. I think old rivalries brings out a much better atmosphere, maybe we should be looking to strengthen our core game and our youth setups before looking to expand too far and really invest in our strength as a game.

There's around 5.5 million in and around Sydney where the game is the number 1 sport with all the sponsors and corporates that brings too. A more apt comparison with that would be somewhere like London and the number of Football clubs.

In contrast Wakefield borough is about 350,000 and if Fev were admitted would support 3 SL teams. Hull is 2 clubs and about 260,000. Leeds is bigger and competes against Leeds United. Most other places are small towns and cities also competing with Football clubs. Its not really a like for like comparison.

16 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

A city the size of York can only just sustain the football and rugby league teams with the poor crowds they get. It, s never been an hot bed of sport and I've loved going to Bootham Crescent to watch both. 

York City play in National League 1. Up until last year York Rugby played in League 1. I really wouldn't expect anything else.

If we are talking about growth I think its fairly obvious to anyone without Fev tinted specs that York have plenty of potential for growth once they are in their new stadium. I don't see why it would be contentious that this growth potential is far in excess of Fev who currently get good crowds in the Championship as is and have a much smaller pool of people to appeal to.

8 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

i have a bit of a soft spot for York but even in there more successful times  there has been a limit on the support generated with the highest attendance been way back in 1934 for the visit of Swinton in the cup when they got 14'600 something that now of course could never happen. With a capacity of around 8000 for the new stadium

been a realist i would think they will struggle to get 5000 for a game even in super league with exception of course for the hull game when of course hull would bring 30,000 as they do to all away games.

that's fine if we want to stay a backwater sport but if we want to progress we should be looking for bigger cities and audiences which leads to more media coverage and who knows better tv contracts . in that respect the only teams that would qualify are London, Toulouse, and maybe Sheffield and Bradford although of course neither Sheffield or Bradford have the resource's at present to step up  and of course London would need a different ground .

43 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So we’ve got Featherstone, London, York, Toulouse and Halifax all confirmed as going for it, I think. Can’t say I’ve seen anything from Leigh, Bradford, Widnes etc. 

So if Leigh also does we have 6, so let’s have a tournament for the place, decide it on the field!

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's around 5.5 million in and around Sydney where the game is the number 1 sport with all the sponsors and corporates that brings too. A more apt comparison with that would be somewhere like London and the number of Football clubs.

In contrast Wakefield borough is about 350,000 and if Fev were admitted would support 3 SL teams. Hull is 2 clubs and about 260,000. Leeds is bigger and competes against Leeds United. Most other places are small towns and cities also competing with Football clubs. Its not really a like for like comparison.

there is not actually much completing with Leeds united in Leeds as both teams do not have much that crossover of support  especially with summer rugby league in play.

if there was any effect of Leeds united to rugby league its actually worth pointing to the amount of support Leeds united get from the Wakefield/Castleford area and of course further afield . a survey carried out a few years back actually found that the majority of Leeds unite season ticket holders  came from areas that did not have a LS postcode and that the WF postcode was well represented 

3 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

short straw would be better a that's about what the club that get promoted will have

If just promoted then true, I think 2021 should run with 11 teams, hold a mini comp for those interested next summer then the winner has around 6-7 months to get a squad together. And before someone says what about the Championship, then if we assume that no fans will be allowed into stadiums at least till say June, how could the Championship operate for 3 months with no fans, whereas the mini comp wouldn’t need to start till June.

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

York City play in National League 1. Up until last year York Rugby played in League 1. I really wouldn't expect anything else.

If we are talking about growth I think its fairly obvious to anyone without Fev tinted specs that York have plenty of potential for growth once they are in their new stadium. I don't see why it would be contentious that this growth potential is far in excess of Fev who currently get good crowds in the Championship as is and have a much smaller pool of people to appeal to.

They definitely have the potential for growth but i still can't see them getting big crowds but i would love to be proved wrong. 

7 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

there is not actually much completing with Leeds united in Leeds as both teams do not have much that crossover of support  especially with summer rugby league in play.

if there was any effect of Leeds united to rugby league its actually worth pointing to the amount of support Leeds united get from the Wakefield/Castleford area and of course further afield . a survey carried out a few years back actually found that the majority of Leeds unite season ticket holders  came from areas that did not have a LS postcode and that the WF postcode was well represented 

I know both teams don't have much of a crossover of support. Most RL towns and cities don't have much of a crossover of support either due to cost or interest. In my time living in Leeds I knew RL players and fans who followed Leeds United religiously but never watched the Rhinos other than on TV. The point is that 35,000 people still follow Leeds United on a regular basis. That is 35,000 people watching another sport which doesn't happen in the same way in Sydney.  At best Leeds Rhinos have 50% of Leeds to go at, which is me being generous as I know this is a large overestimate as there are swathes of Leeds were there is literally no or little RL presence. The rest of your post just backs up what I am talking about.

14 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

They definitely have the potential for growth but i still can't see them getting big crowds but i would love to be proved wrong. 

If we are talking about the big crowds Toulouse are the only club with that potential in my honest opinion. Fev at best may get similar to Cas. York probably Huddersfield/Salford territory but with a bit of potential to build. London and Leigh much the same as the last time they were in Super League.

Archived