2. 2. Who would you promote to Championship

• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

All this bashing Fev gets for being a little rough round the edges make me laugh........like the rest of SL takes place in trendy cities and posh countryside towns.

Apart from Toronto I can't think of a single team i'd want to visit for anything other than watching the game and leaving again.

Fev have a good stadium that they own....good transport links and great facilities on site...... so what if the rest of the town is a little run down.........Headingley, Castleford, Hull, Wigan, St helens, Warrington, Leigh, Wakefield and Hudderfield are hardly top locations on trip advisor are they?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

100% NAILED on Toulouse in reality they would be the only club that having this reduction would hardly effect.

Making up 7/800K will be easy for Toulouse.

The maire will be on standby with a large amount of cash + regional .

Also for incoming fans at least they all stay locally as opposed to the Dragons where 90% are now bussed up from Spain.

Even if making up that difference would be easy for them, it’s absurd that they’d be asked to do it. The small time mentality of SL clubs is beyond belief at times. 

18 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

All this bashing Fev gets for being a little rough round the edges make me laugh........like the rest of SL takes place in trendy cities and posh countryside towns.

Apart from Toronto I can't think of a single team i'd want to visit for anything other than watching the game and leaving again.

Fev have a good stadium that they own....good transport links and great facilities on site...... so what if the rest of the town is a little run down.........Headingley, Castleford, Hull, Wigan, St helens, Warrington, Leigh, Wakefield and Hudderfield are hardly top locations on trip advisor are they?

can't believe Fev is any more run down than St Helens... and I use to live in St Helens..

I get your point and agree

11 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Fev and Cas punch well above their weight Steve and good on them.

Leigh similar in size to Cas on the posh side side of the Pennines and all 3 can contribute quite comfortably, whatever league they play in.

Size obviously doesn't matter, but those statisticians amongst us would have a field day knowing that the likelihood is that the 3 team mentioned are likely to have the biggest percentage attending their games (per Town population) of any other teams.

I am still waiting for Headingley, JJB, K Com and Halliwell Jones to sell out week after week !!

You're obviously well clued up on the heritage and demographics of Rugby League areas SB. I'm just waiting for a good laugh when some clown suggests Nottingham as the next expansion Mega City. The Canadians will probably go along with it because its a place they will have heard of.

On 04/11/2020 at 01:58, SL17 said:

I would go for Leigh or Fev. Probably Fev given their start to season. 
What the xxxx would London bring to it?

By the same token what would Leigh and Featherstone bring to it ? Eff all.

If its not Broncos (and not very hopeful) Toulouse then York for me

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

100% NAILED on Toulouse in reality they would be the only club that having this reduction would hardly effect.

Making up 7/800K will be easy for Toulouse.

The maire will be on standby with a large amount of cash + regional .

Also for incoming fans at least they all stay locally as opposed to the Dragons where 90% are now bussed up from Spain.

90% of catalan support are spanish?

I doubt that

3 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

By the same token what would Leigh and Featherstone bring to it ? Eff all.

If its not Broncos (and not very hopeful) Toulouse then York for me

And what do Toulouse offer? At this stage, we don’t know if there’s relegation and they’re going to come in very late on significantly less central funding, so what can we actually expect from them? A TV deal for a year at the very best is all I can think of. The odds for any promoted side are firmly stacked against them at the minute, so it’s a bit futile discussing who brings what to the game. 

41 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

while I basically agree, as a southerner who never goes to any of these places for the day and always has to make a weekend of it...

Headingley maybe, but Leeds is always an easy sell to friends who might come with me 

Not much going on in Castleford, but I've always enjoyed spending time in the pubs 

Hull is vastly underrated as a short break destination, genuinely

Wigan (sorry Wiganers) I agree 

St Helens - also (sadly) agree - selling it as 'handy for Liverpool doesn't really count IMO!

Warrington - never been 

Leigh - never been (no station) 

Wakefield is really grim in parts but the city  centre is surprisingly nice, great pubs, good night out 

Huddersfield - have been lots of times, some of the architecture is breathtaking, 

They're not top locations, but I bet most people could find them on a map - well, Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield and St Helens anyway.

Featherstone, not so much - although I've always quite liked it. 

On the list though, in all honesty, Leeds is the only one I would have gone to without rugby. Hull is the best kept secret, and I could make a case for 24 hours in Wakefield without Trin, but overall you're right that none of them are compelling.

I genuinely believe it won't be Toulouse due to travel logistics, next year will be just as tough as this year for fullfilling fixtures and even getting crowds back.

I'm not even sure when we'll re-start the competition and the chances of a world cup are so slim. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

4 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Literally as I post the above, this is released on the BBC > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54824120

If the above is the case, we'll be looking at a minimum start of April.

Some clubs will want to wait till then, others won't. I suspect they will align with the clubs pushing to finish the regular season ASAP this week.

From the statement issued by Super League any team "... concluded unanimously that operating a team in Canada would not produce material incremental revenue in the short or medium term..."

So on the basis of the above does any of the options suggested bring that to the table? Only London, Toulouse and Leigh are full time. Out of those 3 only Toulouse or Leigh (Bradford & Widnes could) can bring in the fans capable of the revenue needed in the short term. If the decision is made today (which it won't) you will have under 3 months until the start of the season. For me the decision is between Toulouse and Leigh based on full time clubs with stadiums suitable for International/Super League grade games. 

That is taking into account the literal sense of what the reasons were why Toronto have been rejected. For credibility you can't bring in a part time club or a club that doesn't bring revenue to the competition 

8 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Out of those 3 only Toulouse or Leigh (Bradford & Widnes could) can bring in the fans capable of the revenue needed in the short term.

David Hughes commitment to covering any Broncos finance shortfalls from revenue has not wavered in a decade or more, so not sure this is strictly relevant or accurate.

12 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

David Hughes commitment to covering any Broncos finance shortfalls from revenue has not wavered in a decade or more, so not sure this is strictly relevant or accurate.

We need London to be successful, win trophies, get bigger crowds and play in a decent stadium that's not too big compared to the attendance, because they are in the spotlight more than any other club. If they were to struggle yet again it would be an embarrassment for the sport and a complete waste of time. If Hughes has the money to fund it, an increase in their salary cap due to London Weighting would help. 

41 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

From the statement issued by Super League any team "... concluded unanimously that operating a team in Canada would not produce material incremental revenue in the short or medium term..."

So on the basis of the above does any of the options suggested bring that to the table? Only London, Toulouse and Leigh are full time. Out of those 3 only Toulouse or Leigh (Bradford & Widnes could) can bring in the fans capable of the revenue needed in the short term. If the decision is made today (which it won't) you will have under 3 months until the start of the season. For me the decision is between Toulouse and Leigh based on full time clubs with stadiums suitable for International/Super League grade games. 

That is taking into account the literal sense of what the reasons were why Toronto have been rejected. For credibility you can't bring in a part time club or a club that doesn't bring revenue to the competition 

would like to agree on paper but leaving that sentence to one side as it's unlikely to be the sole way they decide...

Toulouse makes all kinds of sense but do they have the appetite to make 1/6 of the league subject to the Covid legislation of another country? Unless they make them both play all their matches next season over here, that's a risk. (NOt saying it's insurmountable but it's a reason to push back on Toulouse, Catalans OTOH being already in the tent).

The sensible option for me is probably Toulouse, but it isn't the safe option (or at least it comes with another potential set of problems which admitting an English team wouldn't have). 

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Literally as I post the above, this is released on the BBC > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54824120

If the above is the case, we'll be looking at a minimum start of April.

Why's that ?

The start date is much more likely to be fixed by the return of spectators to the stadia.

Once training starts, furlough stops.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived