• Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

19 minutes ago, Griff said:

Why's that ?

The start date is much more likely to be fixed by the return of spectators to the stadia.

Once training starts, furlough stops.

Training for some clubs started around 2 weeks before the first restart game.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Why's that ?

The start date is much more likely to be fixed by the return of spectators to the stadia.

Once training starts, furlough stops.

> Furlough ends March
> Players return to training beginning of April
> League starts in April as they have to fulfill fixtures for SKY TV. 

Last time I read, we were looking at a return of spectators from March, this probably will have changed. 

Good luck to them all.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And what do Toulouse offer? At this stage, we don’t know if there’s relegation and they’re going to come in very late on significantly less central funding, so what can we actually expect from them? A TV deal for a year at the very best is all I can think of. The odds for any promoted side are firmly stacked against them at the minute, so it’s a bit futile discussing who brings what to the game. 

They would bring a 12th team.

They would bring an additional player pathway and support base.

There is potential for a TV deal

They are a city club and can add additional sponsorship obvs for them but frees up other deals in uk.

They bring a french derby which would be huge!

Or we could stay small and hope we can keep our spot on reginal bbc tv??

We can hope to produce enough top quality talent from a few pit villages??

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

They would bring a 12th team.

They would bring an additional player pathway and support base.

There is potential for a TV deal

They are a city club and can add additional sponsorship obvs for them but frees up other deals in uk.

They bring a french derby which would be huge!

Or we could stay small and hope we can keep our spot on reginal bbc tv??

We can hope to produce enough top quality talent from a few pit villages??

As I say, it’s futile discussing what the twelfth team being to the table when they’re fighting a losing battle due to less central funding and late inclusion to the league. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As I say, it’s futile discussing what the twelfth team being to the table when they’re fighting a losing battle due to less central funding and late inclusion to the league. 

But Toulouse are signing SL quality players and maybe able to bridge the shortfall? Maybe they have left over budget from this year?

Maybe this has already been agreed with them?

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Central funding is less of an issue, player recruitment not so. If you are putting your hat in the ring then you must have the cash to withstand y1 at least

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

Who is better than the SL signings made at Leigh?

The best players from Leigh can play for Wigan or Saints, they are in the shadow of bigger clubs and therefore for me it would be a no.

Leigh are a great club but are at their level and should form a feeder club / second team using dual reg with Wigan.

Or they play in a top tier that is semi pro / amateur. These are the stark realities facing rugby league and has been well documented since the 90s

Just now, yipyee said:

The best players from Leigh can play for Wigan or Saints, they are in the shadow of bigger clubs and therefore for me it would be a no.

Leigh are a great club but are at their level and should form a feeder club / second team using dual reg with Wigan.

Or they play in a top tier that is semi pro / amateur. These are the stark realities facing rugby league and has been well documented since the 90s

Oh dear. You are about to be lynched 😂

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I’d don a helmet and hunker down in a deep trench if I was you.

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Might as well disband them than live like that (not a Leigh fan btw).

Then that’s more people walking away from the sport.

I can never understand the hunger and passion that some people (not necessarily yourself) have for destroying rugby league clubs. 

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I can never understand the hunger and passion that some people (not necessarily yourself) have for destroying rugby league clubs. 

Pretty much this.

I stuck with it last time. I refused to have sky or watch SL or international rugby during that period but stuck with going to post office Road.

Gubrats called it a day and stopped going to the LSV.

If what yippee described becoming anywhere near reality, I'm done next time. I suspect Steve would be too but that's up to him.

The sport will not collapse cos us two gobsheeites have said "enough is enough"!

34 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What I dont get is that in soccer there are fans of the teams in the lower divisions and they turn up regardless of which league they are in, RL has some odd minded fans which is clearly a minority that they wont bother unless their team is in the top division. I know soccer has these fans too as the numbers swell when promoted however it does appear to be more in League.

Lower league teams in soccer also get loan players PNE had Beckham on loan etc..

That doesnt stop PNE fans turning up week in week out to watch secons division footy.

For me though I do think its out of order for Sky to buy the rights to the champ/ league1 and then never film any games.

This should be a pre requisite to any new TV deal. Premier was rubbish but at least they produced the product and televised the content. 

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The only club who would be worth considering who play along the M62 corridor are Widnes.

Halifax, Leigh, Fev, Bradford offer nothing.

I would favour Toulouse, but then again i want to see the game expand.

I agree , no Bradford in their current guise, they have off the field issues that need addressing first but if they can sort that out they would then be an asset.

Fax are a bit of an oddity, very well ran but that is their downfall as they would need to go all out and risk it all for a SL spot.

35 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Pretty much this.

I stuck with it last time. I refused to have sky or watch SL or international rugby during that period but stuck with going to post office Road.

Gubrats called it a day and stopped going to the LSV.

If what yippee described becoming anywhere near reality, I'm done next time. I suspect Steve would be too but that's up to him.

The sport will not collapse cos us two gobsheeites have said "enough is enough"!

Interesting point on international rugby as a lot of England soccer fans are made up from lower division clubs.

Same to with the union.

Maybe this is part of our issue with attendance at international games

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Interesting point on international rugby as a lot of England soccer fans are made up from lower division clubs.

Same to with the union.

Maybe this is part of our issue with attendance at international games

Nah.... its more to do with my morngyness. I just shut out all support for the game other than for my club back then.

Remove the hope... the dream...that my club can again play in the top flight again and I'm out. 

8 minutes ago, yipyee said:

What I dont get is that in soccer there are fans of the teams in the lower divisions and they turn up regardless of which league they are in, RL has some odd minded fans which is clearly a minority that they wont bother unless their team is in the top division. I know soccer has these fans too as the numbers swell when promoted however it does appear to be more in League.

Lower league teams in soccer also get loan players PNE had Beckham on loan etc..

That doesnt stop PNE fans turning up week in week out to watch secons division footy.

For me though I do think its out of order for Sky to buy the rights to the champ/ league1 and then never film any games.

This should be a pre requisite to any new TV deal. Premier was rubbish but at least they produced the product and televised the content. 

Lower league teams have a pathway to the Premier league. What you are proposing prohibits such a pathway 

24 minutes ago, yipyee said:

100 years of free gangway (within the 92) - everyone is at ease with the eco-system. 

Compare that to RL where in living memory there was only one division, and you might have grown up watching Hunslet but you'll watch Rhinos now because the top flight is over for Hunslet.*

It's the same in RU - although the analogy there is the game going open, to RL's introduction of 3 tiers. It's had the same disruption to the ecosystem. There are big clubs, with England international lists as long as your arm, trapped in tier 2 and 3, and it's killing them - just like in RL. You can't compare soccer with either code of rugby in England. SL and Premiership RU pulled away from the rest at a given moment in relatively recent history and have left carnage in their wake. Might have been good for the respective sports (I don't believe that but you can make the case), undoubtedly good for the clubs with chairs when the music stopped, but (and I say this as someone who simultaneously held season tickets at L1 RL and Championship RU clubs) I can understand entirely why anyone with half a brain has walked away from the clubs not in either top flight. I can say that. I haven't walked away!

Really, unless you're a fan of a couple of clubs in either code who knock on the door every year and have got the chequebooks ready (I'm not), then it's over. They're all junior clubs now, and probably forever. The dream has died. It's the dream that keeps football going down to about level 6, and even below that you've got some lunatics who turn up to watch.

Outside a couple of clubs in level 2 of RU and RL, the remaining fans are turning up out of habit, and not really being replaced. By and large anyway, there'll always be exceptions. 

*OK, never say never, but absent a lunatic billionaire turning up. 

Archived