• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Have you not seen all the new houses been built mate, especially in Fev & ponte, there's probably thousands over last 5 years, vast majority moving in are not from RL areas. 

I do. Taylor Wimpey have been busy! 

That said those new people are more likely to follow either their own teams, Leeds United, or nothing at all, such is the lack of RL presence on the national conscience. In any case, if you turned up at Belle Vue, Wheldon Road or Post office road (which whilst better than the other two is still not great) for the first time, do you expect many to come back or bring their families?

If Cas ever got the Xscape stadium built, I agree the potential for growth is massive.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Again i repeat what Elstone has said about clubs have to offer something to Super League that the present clubs don't have and no club in the M62 corridor can offer that

I was responding to the bit you posted below 

17 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

So disillusioned fans and fans from other clubs who have moved into the area

Robert Elstone is calling the shots now on who can enter Super League and in his book disillusioned fans from years ago and fans from others clubs who have moved into the area wont tick the boxes for him.

The Super League chairman will want to keep Super League a 11 team competition as they wont want to give up some TV money to a 12th club

There has to be 12 clubs or they are in breach of the Sky contract

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Kids used to do the same with the mines too. Times change, move on

Where are the players of the future coming from?

The amateur / junior game is dying and all super league can think of is how can we maximise the fund of the elite clubs, to spend on oversea's superstars.

Invest in the game in this country and that will benefit not only domestic rugby but GB too.

Anyway, lets give it 20 years and see who's right.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do. Taylor Wimpey have been busy! 

That said those new people are more likely to follow either their own teams, Leeds United, or nothing at all, such is the lack of RL presence on the national conscience. In any case, if you turned up at Belle Vue, Wheldon Road or Post office road (which whilst better than the other two is still not great) for the first time, do you expect many to come back or bring their families?

If Cas ever got the Xscape stadium built, I agree the potential for growth is massive.

They won't.

1 minute ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Where are the players of the future coming from?

The amateur / junior game is dying and all super league can think of is how can we maximise the fund of the elite clubs, to spend on oversea's superstars.

Invest in the game in this country and that will benefit not only domestic rugby but GB too.

Anyway, lets give it 20 years and see who's right.

Absolutely, what on earth that has to do with large village teams playing in super league i do not know.

The game needs to be relevant and big time. Not a throwback and small time.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

For many reasons, 1st its plain to see when watching on TV that their home games are soulless, uninspiring. 2nd, they bring nowhere near enough fans up north meaning if there's any games m62 team fans are skipping its v London, contributing to those games lacking mass appeal on TV and those areas live. Many more other reasons. 

Not sure there is a reason in there. Have you only been analysing Broncos in the Trailfinders era ? Have you not been there when the oiled up Fev fans come down for a fight or the Wakefield fans rip up the seats and set flares off. Brilliant atmosphere trust me. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

There's many many unionists down south, even many down into Cornwall even, have heard of the fame of the forever underdog Featherstone Rovers and their great feats of against the odds triumphs on the biggest stages. Don't kid yourself. Its fact. 

Didn't know Fev had a flute and marching band going on. Bowler hats and sashes too? 

I must admit the one's I've ever met talk about the "famous Glasgow Rangers", but I'm sure there will be one on about "Featherstone Rovers".

20 minutes ago, Niels said:

Nobody was concerned about this though until the demise of Toronto. 

It's not even been a week since Toronto's demise. Wouldn't those Toronto fans here in the UK be better focusing on helpingToronto and maybe following them during the bad times in the championship or league one? 

Even if Toulouse are admitted it will be miles away from the porential Toronto brought. 

Rubbish. People have been saying it for years on here.

Just now, Smudger06 said:

Sounds like 500 is a huge figure for London Broncos though......

His point is valid though. We're discussing relatively small numbers here. Only Bradford could get into 5 figures, maybe Widnes with a seriously good run. Otherwise we're debating a few hundred people.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Didn't know Fev had a flute and marching band going on. Bowler hats and sashes too? 

I must admit the one's I've ever met talk about the "famous Glasgow Rangers", but I'm sure there will be one on about "Featherstone Rovers".

maybe they are all secret members of the orange lodge

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, what on earth that has to do with large village teams playing in super league i do not know.

The game needs to be relevant and big time. Not a throwback and small time.

so an empty stadiums in London and Toulouse is relevant and big time.....I seriously think not. 

4 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

maybe they are all secret members of the orange lodge

Always felt a strange sense of extra triumph winning at Fev. Once won a rotary club schools DT competition there, didn't know it was my Celtic nature making me feel so smug.

I find the link that some attempt to make between the game supposedly dying at grassroots level and expansion tenuous at best. I don't know any 9 year olds that think I'll not play Rugby League because of that London or Toronto team in Super League.

Just now, Smudger06 said:

so an empty stadiums in London and Toulouse is relevant and big time.....I seriously think not. 

As Super league have shown by their stadium selections for sky this year, an empty modern stadium is a damn sight better than an empty old one.

The aspiration is to play for big clubs.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I find the link that some attempt to make between the game supposedly dying at grassroots level and expansion tenuous at best. I don't know any 9 year olds that think I'll not play Rugby League because of that London or Toronto team in Super League.

Tenuous is putting it nicely. I call it disingenuous or rather, moronic.

Archived