• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

I think that SL should just stop messing around and go straight to 14 teams to look to strategic growth (which apparently was lacking with the Wolfpack report) - Toulouse, Newcastle and London. 

And one up - down from end of 2022 season. Next year is looking like another “transition”. 

It wont happen. Super League clubs wont want the TV deal diluted

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

My strong - perhaps somewhat cynical - suspicion is that the club feels it 'ought' to apply - as much as anything it will appease the fanbase, quite a few of whom seem to think we have a divine right to be in SL.

I doubt that those currently in charge think we have any realistic chance.

I'd agree with that 100%

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

As a Bulls ST holder I fully agree. Until and unless we get proper financial backing and/or get the millstone of Odsal finally off our backs, it would be futile going into SL

This is the weird thing - I've through both administrations and seen the administrators reports. Before the first one, we were leaking cash all over the place, bloated back room/admin and were losing approx. £700k per year when the TV money was £1.2m. We were relegated the year before the next contract came in and tv cash was boosted to £1.8m annually but that was a year too late. Since then we've cut cloth left, right and centre and now seem to be putting out a hybrid (parttime/fulltime) 1st team squad worth about £500k and a full tier 1 academy on tv money of about £300k - along with the usual other revenues - tickets, sponsorship etc. Odsal is the great unknown though.

Im loving the article explaining why the team getting promotoed shouldn't get the full funding. Basically boils down to Championship teams making use of a government scheme to help stay afloat and SL teams not. I don't often swear but if I could on here I would. Its total BS and a cop out.

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im loving the article explaining why the team getting promotoed shouldn't get the full funding. Basically boils down to Championship teams making use of a government scheme to help stay afloat and SL teams not. I don't often swear but if I could on here I would. Its total BS and a cop out.

Yup

45 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If players have signed , then start training the club cannot claim the furlough. 

On 08/11/2020 at 06:55, DI Keith Fowler said:

Are you just arguing semantics over what it means to be "new"? It's a trend seen worldwide in all sports that teams moving up through divisions attract more fans. They weren't there before but they are now, I think you're complicating it a bit. 

So I go back to my original point, that any team getting promoted would bring in new fans. This isnt a phenomenon unique to Toulouse. It's a nonsensical argument to say Toulouse will bring in new fans but other clubs wont.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I prefer averages not anomalies, so Leeds' years without a full stadium and Salford's years with a meagre 2.5k in the past 10 years are worth considering in this regard, especially if your suggestion for club 12 is Bradford! And in general the point still stands, it doesn't really matter to the game if we have 4276 from Wakefield or 3987 from Fev. The differences at that level are so small they're irrelevant is the point.

I agree, Bradford should be a Super League club. A city in the heartlands with great RL heritage and proven pedigree at the top level. They should easily be able to sit alongside Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Warrington and Hull at the top of our game. However, 10(?) years of financial calamity and of course the elephant in the room of your post that they are not actually based in Bradford at the moment, meaning all your talk of engaging the Bradford community is somewhat moot, puts a bit of a downer on their position right now. The persistent outlook from Bradford fans too is that they don't want to be thrown into a Super League campaign that could kill the club financially again. As a city, Toulouse and Bradford have a lot of similarities for the game, but as clubs the gap is vast right now; just as it is between Bradford and Leigh or London.

That's a good full answer thanks. 

I understand about the averages but I thought the last full season averages were the best figures to use.

10 hours ago, POR said:

yes they are top but the'ave not really played any body yet 5 wins from teams in the bottom six with 7 points in total out of a possible 54 hardly surprising

really  in the championship never been top of the league never been to a grand final  mpg and remember last year when FEV hammered them at home  in play off semi final 36 -12 further more in the qualifiers the championship had a second cup competition the shield never been close to final and yes they came sixth in the middle 8 winning 3 games so if that's knocking on the door for years I will stand to be corrected and vote  toulouse for super league

bye the way I really hope it's  not my team FEV 

I admire your passion for your team.

Just because youd twam are also knocking on the door doesnt mean another isnt as well.

Toulouse and Fev have both been trying to get in SL since its inception and for me both should have a crack over the teams that have had a go and failed

9 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

It's actually quite saddening, all the insults toward the M62 corridor. The M62 is one of the main arteries of the game because it gives something that most other sports lack - Easy travel to most away games. It can be a nightmare for Thursday and Friday evening games, which IMO should be reserved for local derbies, but on a Saturday or Sunday when the traffic is pretty light, it makes travelling across the Pennines a relative pleasure and encourages more away fans to do so. We can't do without the Sky funding but it does encourage armchair fans rather than those who will travel home and away no matter what.

Aye, remember them chrabanc trips Steve?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

How long since Bradford last imploded and how long have the current owners been in charge?

How long has this been relevant?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, newbe said:

If players have signed , then start training the club cannot claim the furlough. 

There are ways that they can.

22 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rochdale have applied. 

Rochdale? 110K population, which makes it bigger than Wigan, with a less successful soccer team, so why have they never won anything? Goes to show that population doesn't necessarily bring success.

25 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Rochdale? 110K population, which makes it bigger than Wigan, with a less successful soccer team, so why have they never won anything? Goes to show that population doesn't necessarily bring success.

I wouldn't rely on something like Wiki for them stats Steve. Working for Royal Mail, Wigan is way bigger. It has that in houses alone in WN 1-6 

Who is going to be the 12th club in Super League?
   The key word for me, and it was mentioned in Robert Elstone's independent report, is strategy. What move is going to strategically develop the international game?
    If we look down under, we saw the Auckland Warriors enter the NRL in 1995. Since then there has been a steady increase in the number of New Zealand born players scattered around the NRL. Now around 20% of all players are New Zealanders and the New Zealend national side is more competitive as a result. For me, if ever the NRL ever gets the expansion bug again as it did in the 1990s, then the next new team should be in either Wellington or on the South Island.
   Similarly in the Northern Hemisphere, Catalan Dragons entered in 2007 and subsequently there has been a steady rise in French players dotted around the Super League. A second French side can only add to those French players.
   Based on that the 12th Super League club should be Toulouse Olympique for the sake of developing the international game. We are to have a World Cup in 2021 with only 3 possible winners out of 16 nations. Let us have 4 possible winners in later World Cups. We struggle to find opposition for a mid-season international for England and have in the past had to contrive opposition in the shape of an 'exiles' outfit. I believe England should play France in  mid-season internationals- a real nation against a real nation.
  That is my interpretation of strategy.
  What of the other candidates?
 They maybe need a little more time to grow organically. Make no mistake about it the Championship is a good division. I would envisage a tight promotion battle in the next few seasons between the likes of Featherstone, Leigh and the London Broncos who continue to grow stronger roots in the capital (stronger roots than  previous Australian dominated regimes).

21 minutes ago, NICK ROBINSON said:

Who is going to be the 12th club in Super League?
   The key word for me, and it was mentioned in Robert Elstone's independent report, is strategy. What move is going to strategically develop the international game?
    If we look down under, we saw the Auckland Warriors enter the NRL in 1995. Since then there has been a steady increase in the number of New Zealand born players scattered around the NRL. Now around 20% of all players are New Zealanders and the New Zealend national side is more competitive as a result. For me, if ever the NRL ever gets the expansion bug again as it did in the 1990s, then the next new team should be in either Wellington or on the South Island.
   Similarly in the Northern Hemisphere, Catalan Dragons entered in 2007 and subsequently there has been a steady rise in French players dotted around the Super League. A second French side can only add to those French players.
   Based on that the 12th Super League club should be Toulouse Olympique for the sake of developing the international game. We are to have a World Cup in 2021 with only 3 possible winners out of 16 nations. Let us have 4 possible winners in later World Cups. We struggle to find opposition for a mid-season international for England and have in the past had to contrive opposition in the shape of an 'exiles' outfit. I believe England should play France in  mid-season internationals- a real nation against a real nation.
  That is my interpretation of strategy.
  What of the other candidates?
 They maybe need a little more time to grow organically. Make no mistake about it the Championship is a good division. I would envisage a tight promotion battle in the next few seasons between the likes of Featherstone, Leigh and the London Broncos who continue to grow stronger roots in the capital (stronger roots than  previous Australian dominated regimes).

You see what you've done there is assume that there is strategy...

Archived