• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Staying at their home, Ealing Trailfinders, and not changing their name for the umpteenth pointless time is a good start. 

The name has been changed once - and then changed back - in the last 25 years.

The name is not remotely a reason for the club's level of crowds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Not in the slightest. The constant moves across London and name changes, whilst never setting down roots in any community they’ve played in has been far more damaging. Another name change is doing the same thing again and expecting different results, the typical Rugby League thing to do. Throwing money behind a campaign to change the name and to change everything from their kits to their headed paper is a wasted exercise and a pretty large financial hit for a small club in a minority sport during a pretty rough time for everyone.

Good, I am not to bothered to tell the truth what they do, I know if I was running the show It would have crossed my mind to have a look around the local community observe how many live in the area and think to myself how can I attract more of those to attend, making them feel part of and the club being representative of them seems a good place to begin.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The name has been changed once - and then changed back - in the last 25 years.

The name is not remotely a reason for the club's level of crowds.

There are lots of reasons that might explain this, especially given that crowds in London tend to flow to the opening of an envelope if it's considered an event of fashionable or both.

Creating that for RL and Broncos is the heart of it and the mystery of how.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ealing isn't large. It's not particularly well know. And it's not necessary to use for the team's name.

Other than that, thumbs up.

However did Aston Villa, Everton or West Ham ever progress past being park teams. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

However did Aston Villa, Everton or West Ham ever progress past being park teams. 

Why did those three do better than Aberdare Town?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good, I am not to bothered to tell the truth what they do, I know if I was running the show It would have crossed my mind to have a look around the local community observe how many live in the area and think to myself how can I attract more of those to attend, making them feel part of and the club being representative of them seems a good place to begin.

Thank god you’re not involved then. It’s Rugby League thinking to strip the London name completely and change it to a place no one has heard of is a good idea. 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Thank god you’re not involved then. It’s Rugby League thinking to strip the London name completely and change it to a place no one has heard of is a good idea. 

Do you think St Helens should be renamed Liverpool also, as more people have heard of it? 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Because they’re from much bigger cities. 

Interesting.

Wiki lists 92 defunct football teams in London. Only two of them had the word London in. The majority named after their local areas.

Could it be - and I'm just suggesting here - that factors other than just randomly changing the name to appease a couple of numpties who haven't first clue what they're talking about may also be at play?

I don't believe it is the name.

It comes back to marketing and work in the community, the later taking time. Toronto were dropped into sports mad city and gained traction almost immediately. We have ended up in the Ealing area of London, and that doesn't strike me as sports mad, other than maybe soccer and union, but that's the landscape wherever you are in London.

On a local level – the club need to make the product stand out from the crowd. It’s about the game day experience not just 80mins of rugby. The club are making inroads in schools and that is a good starting point. The club have helped set up the Pitshanger Panthers (Pitshanger is the area of Ealing !!) community club and through that will not only engage local youngsters but also, community teams from across the region will come to play them and if the Broncos had their wits about them, there is a captive market. That said, having persuaded them to host my junior side, they failed miserably on 2 or 3 occasions to take advantage of the opportunity to spread the word.

On a more London based level – there are 1000s of people in London who have had some engagement with either the Broncos, or rugby league in UK or Down Under, or on the TV. Ealing (despite what a number of Broncos fans would tell you) is not that difficult to get to by public transport. They need a 'name' to market, someone that would get these blokes of their sofa and travel 50 miles to watch the team. Anecdotally, I sit in my local in Hertfordshire watching games with a  few RL fans, and lots of locals will come over (pre Covid) and talk about the game and their knowledge of league is first class; two claimed to have been at the first Fulham game !

Once folk make that emotional attachment, that is half the battle.

On a separate note. COVID is a horrible thing no doubt and it has impacted all sports at community level very badly. My local union club coaches are of the opinion there will be no rugby this season, so there will be lads crying out for contact and I suggest will turn to rugby league come April (assuming the same processes are in place as of late, fingers crossed). Broncos now need to be approaching community clubs and working out a recruitment (marketing) strategy  and ensure that enough qualified coaches are in place to meet potential demand. Not least because there could be a whole school year (or two) lost to rugby league.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then for the sake of discussion alone Ginger, tell us the reason and what is a good way of improving attendances.

You're confusing me with someone who thinks we should take the stable London club that's finally emerged after far too much nonsense and muck around with it in pursuit of something which may not be achievable at this time.

So we have some posters who want Salford , Oldham and Swinton to collectively or indeed individually change their name to Manchester , some who want St Helens or indeed Widnes to change their name to Liverpool , and then some who want London to change their name to Ealing ? 

Bloody brilliant 😂

2 hours ago, POR said:

not quite FEV have better players than those three  yes FEV will need some signings but I'm sure  with the right training more players than you think could step up to SL could they keep FEV up who knows as a FEV fan I hope we don't have  to find out and SL choose someone else

by the way as we speak four of the 2021 squad are playing in SL and one in aus and for the record  that's not   the current squad you've posted

Ive said it many times before that players at the top of the championship can easily play for the lower Sl teams without even a noticable difference. I mentioned before with Brandon Moore, probably the best hooker in the championship, and his move to Huddersfield and slotted in so comfortably that if anyone asked which Hudds player was a Championship player he wouldnt have even been in most peoples top 10 guesses. The main problem we face, and any team that has gone up to SL, is that you can take individuals and put them in teams but you can't take a full team of that standard of player and hope to survive. The next problem is that the calibre of player needed to stay up is simply not available or not willing to join a team likely set for relegation. The team going up is been thrown under a bus and most of us recognise this to the point I don't know why the teams get together and use some bargaining power.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

London missed a trick not going in with Brentford

Could still be tenants? It's probably the nearest good stadium I would have thought? Not massively further away from the centre of Ealing than they are now. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting.

Wiki lists 92 defunct football teams in London. Only two of them had the word London in. The majority named after their local areas.

Could it be - and I'm just suggesting here - that factors other than just randomly changing the name to appease a couple of numpties who haven't first clue what they're talking about may also be at play?

How many of those were professional clubs, and how many clubs called London are still going? 

Archived