• Barrow
    • Newcastle
    • Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What new fans would start following RL if Toulouse were promoted outside of additional fans that would start going to Toulouse games? 

Team sponsors, yes, every club would bring that. Title sponsors? Unlikely. This is an opinion you have formulated in your head which isnt based on facts. Catalan's entry to SL didnt bring exciting new sponsors, we got Eddie Stobart.

I think with Covid, realistically it has to be an English side. Featherstone are the best option for me. I think we would look unprofessional if we start refusing clubs on the grounds they are too near others. 

I am not sure having 2 French sides is practical. The main problem is the players aren't good enough (the best one, who is very good, plays for St Helens) so the teams end up filled with players from the UK or Australia who are slightly past their best. They then don't feel like French clubs. 

If I could have a free choice I would go for Edinburgh or a side from Rhodes or Turkey or try Paris again. But realistically they don't have the players either and the virus makes it impractical. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think with Covid, realistically it has to be an English side. Featherstone are the best option for me. I think we would look unprofessional if we start refusing clubs on the grounds they are too near others. 

I am not sure having 2 French sides is practical. The main problem is the players aren't good enough (the best one, who is very good, plays for St Helens) so the teams end up filled with players from the UK or Australia who are slightly past their best. They then don't feel like French clubs. 

If I could have a free choice I would go for Edinburgh or a side from Rhodes or Turkey or try Paris again. But realistically they don't have the players either and the virus makes it impractical. 

You are funny I’ll give you that.

9 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The difference between an amateur Club and a Pro Club is that an amateur Club exists for the benefit of its playing members whereas a Pro Club exists for the benefit of its Spectator members, its patrons i.e its season ticket holders. London don't have any last time I looked. Therefore its whole reason for existence (as a pro entity at least) is questionable. Not to mention they play at an amateur facility. 

Do i not exist ? 

Any yet unlike Leigh and Feathersone we run a successful academy with the open age made up of many products and SL littered with cockneys. It must really bug fans of small town teams they don’t have the ability to spread the rugby league playing pool or promote from within and yet take great pride in boasting about their mammoth small 000s attendance. 

Granted the facility is pants but it was good enough for SL in 2019. 

Other than that great point

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think if we already have Catalans in, then being from France makes little difference.

It depends what the criteria they come up with for the "licensing" promotion as to which team comes up. A Fev proposal would be solid without being spectacular, which may be what they're after, but likewise maybe not. And by explicitly stating a licensing procedure will happen in some form, recent on field results matter less. 

To me, the ideal scenario is that Toulouse and Catalans aren't purely French. They'd suffer competitively by being hindered to that, and the Australian and Englishmen they import have often been top drawer (Maloney, Folau, Dureau, Tomkins). I want them to be clubs that export French talent around the league which is far better for French RL. 

4 hours ago, iffleyox said:

so you'll let them up without meeting the standards? In the meantime, assuming they finish bottom, are you protecting them and if so are you relegating someone else? How else do you prevent the money going on SL wages rather than infrastructure? It's not insurmountable but I'd worry that 2 years might not actually be long enough... 

This is the way soccer do it, Blackpool didnt meet the criteria when promoted to the Prem but was given 2 years to do the work.

Like anything they would need to kick out the first club who didnt abide by the rules.

4 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Do i not exist ? 

Any yet unlike Leigh and Feathersone we run a successful academy with the open age made up of many products and SL littered with cockneys. It must really bug fans of small town teams they don’t have the ability to spread the rugby league playing pool or promote from within and yet take great pride in boasting about their mammoth small 000s attendance. 

Granted the facility is pants but it was good enough for SL in 2019. 

Other than that great point

Try running one with 3 of the biggest and best within 12 miles ? , Different problems 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Experts at what ? , Telling people to merge/become a feeder 

Exactly people ignoring the experts as its not what they want to hear.

We dont want to wear a mask we dont want to merge etc...

You claiming experts are not experts proves this

We take 5 times more fans trans Atlantic than you can bring up the M1. You are one of the worlds great metropolis, we are a small town. Unfortunately you don't exist, as a Pro Club really, get some more fans (and yes the same applies to some of the hearland clubs who don't have enough fans for their level, whether it be tier 1, 2 or 3.) 

3 hours ago, gingdong said:

We shouldnt even be having this discussion Fev the team beat in the final should be in end of. Toulouse well cant even see the maniacs at the RFL going for another french team with the covid and no way of knowing how it turns out, As for all the other candidates there 1 man bands and that is very uncertain in this climate. As for rovers the 9 acres of prime building land that will be moved from green belt very soon to make the club self sufficiant for years to come could well be the game changer in these uncertain times

Toulouse were top of the league when the season ended. 

London were relegated both have a s much claim as fev for on the field basis

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What new fans would start following RL if Toulouse were promoted outside of additional fans that would start going to Toulouse games? 

Team sponsors, yes, every club would bring that. Title sponsors? Unlikely. This is an opinion you have formulated in your head which isnt based on facts. Catalan's entry to SL didnt bring exciting new sponsors, we got Eddie Stobart.

The question is how many new fans fev would bring vs new fans leigh would bring vs Toulouse etc...

We know the bench mark for Leigh and it was low.

For me fans are not too much an issue its money generated. Toulouse have the ability to raise more than fev or leigh do.

31 minutes ago, Niels said:

The same could be said for Salford, Wakey, Hull KR etc...

Toulouse do have some good french players and you state the French players in SL.. How did these players get into the game?

9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Exactly people ignoring the experts as its not what they want to hear.

We dont want to wear a mask we dont want to merge etc...

You claiming experts are not experts proves this

Who do the ' experts ' want to merge ?

6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The question is how many new fans fev would bring vs new fans leigh would bring vs Toulouse etc...

We know the bench mark for Leigh and it was low.

For me fans are not too much an issue its money generated. Toulouse have the ability to raise more than fev or leigh do.

It was higher than London and Toronto 

Just now, yipyee said:

You are either trolling or you are not a RL fan if you dont know the answer to that...

The transition to a Pro sport was always going to have victims

So you or they don't know , is that because they don't work ?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you or they don't know , is that because they don't work ?

Welsh RU seem to be ok after mergers

Catalan seem to be ok with mergers and a feeder team..

Hull and Huddersfield have both won trophys after mergers

But hey ho keep on trolling if it makes you feel better about life

Just now, yipyee said:

Welsh RU seem to be ok after mergers

Catalan seem to be ok with mergers and a feeder team..

Hull and Huddersfield have both won trophys after mergers

But hey ho keep on trolling if it makes you feel better about life

Fine 

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

The attraction of playing teams like Wigan, St Helens, Leeds and Warrington would pique interest of some sports fans and some sponsors in Any Location who have a passing interest in the game.

Any club being elected to Super League from the M62 corridor wouldn't attract any new fans or Sponsors to the game. 

There, fixed it for you. Your second sentence is frankly rubbish. Any team promoted in any sport ever attracts more/new fans. Maybe reconsolidating in the heartlands isnt a bad idea considering dwindling participation numbers. You mention M62, but the closest example for your claim is London. They have an inability to attract new fans, they are an insignificance on the London sporting landscape, playing in a suburb with zero exposure. Promoting a heartland team (and I include Toulouse in that) would bring more fans through the gate of that club. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So it was/is zero 

Its a null and void, what you could do if you were smart enough is to look at other clubs who have played in both leagues, work out the boost in attendances as a percentage and apply this to Torontos championship figures,

Or you can carry on pretending that Toronto has 0 fans and would have played in an empty stadium.

Archived