Toulouse olympique promo video

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Interesting that you consider that the fourth largest city in France doesn`t register with English fans, 

The main reason for that is that while they’re in Ligue 1, Toulouse doesn’t have a well known football team. Places are far more likely to be well known when they have. For example Dortmund and Essen are pretty much the same size but (In England at least) Dortmund will be far more welL known, simply become Borussia are so much better than Rot-Weiss. 

It was interesting that someone mentioned St Etienne along with Paris and Marseille, when it’s a fairly small ex mining town (was there during Euro 2008). It’s obviously because of the football team, and band. 

No question in my mind that Toulouse could bring masses to SL. Really torn between them and York. For the growth of the game though I’d go for Toulouse. 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

St Etienne has a following over here ??

There's name recognition but I'm not sure there's much more than that.

I think the comment that a lot of English people derive their awareness of 'foreign' based on successful or visible football teams is all too true. St Etienne would be because of the band though these days.

Toulouse FC do have a nice badge though.

Toulouse FC 2018 logo.svg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's name recognition but I'm not sure there's much more than that.

I think the comment that a lot of English people derive their awareness of 'foreign' based on successful or visible football teams is all too true. St Etienne would be because of the band though these days.

Toulouse FC do have a nice badge though.

I don’t think the band (while superb) are that well known, especially among millennials? I always thought they should have been a lot bigger than they were, class act. 

St Etienne are evocative of the old European Cup for me, clubs like them, Red Star Belgrade, PSV etc who sadly can’t compete in the era of TV money and billionaire investment. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think the band (while superb) are that well known, especially among millennials?

I honestly don't think either are particularly well known these days!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mods, why can't we have a cross code section for football, there are far more references to Association Football than Union, and if Union gets brought up it gets banished pretty quickly, can you not do the same with the aberration that is football. 

And nobody tell me that people like and support Football, yes they do and there are plenty sites and platforms dedicated to it, simple go discuss it there and leave this for RL.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

think the comment that a lot of English people derive their awareness of 'foreign' based on successful or visible football teams is all too true. St Etienne would be because of the band though these days.

Do they how sad, they have my sympathy.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mods, why can't we have a cross code section for football,

You mean perfectlt good RL threads end up in the cross code bin but football stays right here? Well that just about sums it all up!🎅🏾

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mods, why can't we have a cross code section for football, there are far more references to Association Football than Union, and if Union gets brought up it gets banished pretty quickly, can you not do the same with the aberration that is football. 

And nobody tell me that people like and support Football, yes they do and there are plenty sites and platforms dedicated to it, simple go discuss it there and leave this for RL.

To be fair, there was also discussion about a popular 1990s musical combo.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

To be fair, there was also discussion about a popular 1990s musical combo.

In truth the wanderings of threads beggar belief and stretch the boundaries of logical connections much like the posts themselves!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not just this thread Ginger, for some reason Football creeps into a lot of threads.

So does Leigh not having a train station. Do we need a transport sub forum?

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I agree in theory Harry, but the conversation above was related to the issue of why the name Toulouse isn’t a big draw in England. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't be so 'kin childish, I used to think you were much better than that.

I have never pretended to be anything other than immensely childish.

But, also, I don’t think your point is fair. Football was on this thread as a context for why Toulouse might not be a “known” in this country.

35 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So does Leigh not having a train station. Do we need a transport sub forum?

Actually can we?! I am a massive transport enthusiast and if I lived near a much more exciting train station I would certainly have my camera and anorak on every weekend standing at the end of the platform and I absolutely love aviation, any excuse to stand and look at a plane going over!

Don't get me started on bus spotters though, absolute losers, I remember going down to Wembley the other year and as the coach was pulling into the car park they were all there with their cameras snapping away and getting hard. Some people are just so sad.... 

Football appears a lot in threads because of its popularity in this country. Even people who do not follow football, don't support a team or particularly watch it seem to have a decent, passing, casual knowledge of the sport just from things you glance in the newspapers or hear on the news sports bulletin in passing as you live your life. I don't follow football but seem to know a bloody lot about it by accident, just from growing up in a country obsessed with the sport. You can't get away from it, it's absolutely everywhere. 

And so because so many people have a relatively decent knowledge of football it is appropriate to use references and analogies to football to highlight a point in a discussion about something else because more people will understand the reference than a reference to handball or kabaddi or something with a much more niche audience. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Football appears a lot in threads because of its popularity in this country. Even people who do not follow football, don't support a team or particularly watch it seem to have a decent, passing, casual knowledge of the sport just from things you glance in the newspapers or hear on the news sports bulletin in passing as you live your life. I don't follow football but seem to know a bloody lot about it by accident, just from growing up in a country obsessed with the sport. You can't get away from it, it's absolutely everywhere. 

And so because so many people have a relatively decent knowledge of football it is appropriate to use references and analogies to football to highlight a point in a discussion about something else because more people will understand the reference than a reference to handball or kabaddi or something with a much more niche audience. 

Anything you want to know about Fenix Toulouse, just ask ...

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Actually can we?! I am a massive transport enthusiast and if I lived near a much more exciting train station I would certainly have my camera and anorak on every weekend standing at the end of the platform and I absolutely love aviation, any excuse to stand and look at a plane going over!

Don't get me started on bus spotters though, absolute losers, I remember going down to Wembley the other year and as the coach was pulling into the car park they were all there with their cameras snapping away and getting hard. Some people are just so sad.... 

What’s your favourite railway station in Norfolk? I’m trying hard to think of a rugby league link to this so Harry doesn’t get upset but it’s difficult. 

Archived