Super League season to end this weekend

dkw

Super League clubs have decided to bring an end to the regular 2020 season this week ahead then have a revised end of season start next weekend apparently. I`m absolutely sure this has been really well though out and wont be a farce in any way....

I know Saints have been desperate for this to happen for ages (and are not even bothering to play this week). I presume their coach has simply decided his poor lambs are getting a bit tired, and has told SL what structure suits them best? Of course, making sure they draw the line below Hetherington’s team makes it even more likely to happen. I trust we aren’t losing loads of Sky cash by this decision...

I can’t remember how top 6 works - must study it carefully now. 

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I know Saints have been desperate for this to happen for ages (and are not even bothering to play this week). I presume their coach has simply decided his poor lambs are getting a bit tired, and has told SL what structure suits them best? Of course, making sure they draw the line below Hetherington’s team makes it even more likely to happen. I trust we aren’t losing loads of Sky cash by this decision...

I can’t remember how top 6 works - must study it carefully now. 

don't bother it will change next week when a club has to withdraw 

The 2020 Betfred Super League season will be reshaped through November in response to the impact of Covid-19 cases at two clubs. After Wigan Warriors’ shot at the League Leaders’ Shield on Friday evening, four elimination Play-Offs will determine the make-up of the Grand Final on Friday 27 November.

Following the confirmation yesterday that Castleford Tigers are unable to play for at least another week after further positive tests, fixture planning for the remaining three rounds of the regular season was further complicated by news of a number of positive tests at Hull KR who this morning advised that they would not be able to fulfil the remaining three matches. The Super League and RFL Boards have agreed on a revised format and Operational Rules (respectively), which will see the regular season wrapped up within the next four days, after which the top six teams in the table will qualify for the Play-Offs. The club that finishes seventh – either Salford Red Devils or Huddersfield Giants – will remain on standby.

As a consequence of the change in the Regular Season structure, the previous requirement for a Club to complete a minimum number of games (15) has been removed. The two remaining Super League fixtures, both Round 20 matches to be played at Emerald Headingley on Friday 6 November, will see Wakefield Trinity and the Red Devils conclude their campaigns at 5.30pm on Sky Sports, which will be followed by the Warriors v Giants at 745pm, a fixture which will determine who wins the League Leaders’ Shield.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The obvious choice, and I hope we can get through to the GF without any more cancellations. 

And actually, the simplified playoff format they've opted for is the one I think we should be having anyway.

Straight knockout, top two rewarded with a bye and a home semifinal, and crucially, a proper semi final round a week before the GF which sets things up nicely, and avoids that awful lame duck losers final.

Same format next year please. 

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Straight knockout, top two rewarded with a bye and a home semifinal

Are the semis definitely taking place at a clubs home ground now? Though I guess it really makes little difference without a crowd.

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Are the semis definitely taking place at a clubs home ground now? Though I guess it really makes little difference without a crowd.

Dunno about this year, but as you say, it doesn't really matter this year. After everything that's happened, if we manage to hold a final and crown a champion on November 28 we've done OK. 

With Salfords point's reduction that leaves Shuddersfield in 7th and on standby, what's the point of  Salford V Wakey on Friday, don't say Sky money as the MEN article says they are deducting money from next season  in lieu of reduced fixtures this season.

3 hours ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

If Saints decided not to travel to Catalans and HKR cried off against Warrington, shouldn't this mean Warrington finish in second and have the first play-off week off?

They should broadcast meetings like todays, it would be far more interesting than some of the matches.

Didn't Warrington fail to travel France this season?

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

it could make a big difference to Catalan if instead of a home game they have to hire another jet to travel to England to play Leeds and who knows which ground

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

With Salfords point's reduction that leaves Shuddersfield in 7th and on standby, what's the point of  Salford V Wakey on Friday, don't say Sky money as the MEN article says they are deducting money from next season  in lieu of reduced fixtures this season.

I'm not sure why Sky are deducting money from next season since we have provided them with more fixtures for TV than we would in a normal season.

In answer to the Salford question, not a clue, there seems little point in that match going ahead!

Archived