Salford getting a points deduction

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't have thought Salford Council or Salford tax payers will be too pleased with said move. The biggest concern for the Red Devils is whether this damages their relationship with the Council - I can't see them bending over backwards to help them in future. If the stadium doesn't pay for itself, the Council could be minded to either give a diktat of either upping the rent to the tenants or come up with a plan with Peel to bulldoze it for other use...........to which would make the Red Devils homeless.

All conjecture I appreciate, but they need to consider the consequences of said actions, beyond the immediate removal of the millstone.

42 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I wouldn't have thought Salford Council or Salford tax payers will be too pleased with said move.

Are they definitely the creditors involved in this then?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Are they definitely the creditors involved in this then?

Think the 1914 club had substantial loans from Salford City Council, at least third of the overall £3m.

I know the club also failed to pay rent to the stadium company for a period part owned by Peel and the Council.

I don't know if trade creditors or HMRC are included in the debts I can't remember. I am sure you will be able to see the failed CVA details in Companies House if you are interested.

On 04/11/2020 at 13:12, Angelic Cynic said:

When Dr Koukash took over from John Wilkinson he inherited,and accepted, all the debt.

When Dr Koukash left Salford it was stated that he left the club to 'the supporters',and it was also stated that he wrote off whatever the sum was he thought the club owed him.

I seem to recall this sum was in excess of the debt owed to the council.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/444318-25-year-wait-to-recover-salford-reds-loan

It's beginning to appear that this niche,northern based sport,played in a handful of other places around the world,attracts rich people unlike any other sport.

They don't seem to pay what they owe.They leave the sport on a whim.None of them are ever prosecuted.

The sport requires a root and branch review of the governing body/bodies to prevent dishonest owners taking over clubs and stop the all fart and no sh** people involving  themselves in rugby league.

This bad publicity seems never ending... 

I’ve enjoyed watching Salford the last couple of years - on the pitch they have played some very exciting rugby and the team spirit they have shown is admirable.

However a financial **** show (at any club) that leaves creditors getting little/nothing is just appalling & should deserve a much more significant punishment. (a punishment that should be consistently applied to all clubs.)

It’s really interesting to read the news link you provided... ‘In a statement Conservative leader Karen Garrido said: “A child born today will be 25 years old before this debt is cleared, they will have gone through education, either finished university or have been working for for over seven years and could have even had their first child. “I am absolutely appalled that the people of Salford, are being made to suffer because of the actions of this city Mayor who has deliberately cut a number of front line services for the most vulnerable in our community, just think how much they could have benefited by this £1.5m.’

Are the Salford fans who are saying the club played a masterstroke removing the lead weight around their neck shooting themselves & their community in the foot? The money the council will now never get back could have made a significant impact on supporting the most needy in their community.

Why are people (rightly) disgusted that Toronto did not pay players, but it’s OK for Salford to not pay creditors/council?

You have to be careful who you listen to, and don't believe what they say.

The moral highground is only really available to God, the buck stops there.

On 04/11/2020 at 10:33, Damien said:

I must have missed the howls of complaint 7 years ago that this wasn't applied then. The RFL statement is quite clear about the membership acceptance terms of the new club, on them entering this CVA agreement as a condition of that membership and that they had to fund the CVA of the old company. This certainly was not done so on the basis of this points deduction being in the season when the offence applied. According to this Salford haven't even paid the CVA since 2015:

The terms for the CVA, the Salford Star has understood, were that Salford Council would receive 4/25ths of what it was owed - a total of £253,291 - by 2018, with the rest of the debt - £1.33million – spread until 2038, interest free.

The CVA payments to the Council were to be paid directly to the Council from RFL amounts due to the club from tv rights and stuff. However, in summer 2015, the then City Mayor, Ian Stewart, agreed a payment holiday on the CVA for 17 months, meaning that the club didn't have to pay the Council and other creditors for that period.

The 'holiday' was extended by current City Mayor, Paul Dennett, for a further twelve months, and later 36 months in November 2017, which means that a payment was due this month.*

Given the secrecy from Salford Council and the statement from the RFL that "The CVA has now failed", it must be assumed that the Council has lost this money for good – unless someone can enlighten the Salford Star otherwise...

https://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=5935

I'm not really sure how this compares to the whole Bradford situation and their treatment but it would be interesting to know what the parallels are.

The punishment is to have three wins taken away from salford.Surely the points lost by their opponents as a consequence of salfords failings ought to be reinstated to,for arguments sake,the last three unlucky opponents

15 hours ago, dead man inc said:

It’s really interesting to read the news link you provided... ‘In a statement Conservative leader Karen Garrido said: “A child born today will be 25 years old before this debt is cleared, they will have gone through education, either finished university or have been working for for over seven years and could have even had their first child. “I am absolutely appalled that the people of Salford, are being made to suffer because of the actions of this city Mayor who has deliberately cut a number of front line services for the most vulnerable in our community, just think how much they could have benefited by this £1.5m.’

This is fascinating in itself and if you're unable to see the irony here, I've tried to help.

The most fascinating part of a thread like this one is how it exposes and highlights the divisions and factions within this sport. It underlines our inability to see the wood for the trees. And it's just another nail in the coffin of the myth of the RL Family. We can look at the elections across the Pond and pretend we're superior in some way or other but our inability to accept defeat,  along with spreading nonsense & and unite to further the sport just explains why more than half a century has passed and the same arguments rage on & on & on and the sport remains as small and precarious as ever.

11 hours ago, derk said:

The punishment is to have three wins taken away from salford.Surely the points lost by their opponents as a consequence of salfords failings ought to be reinstated to,for arguments sake,the last three unlucky opponents

When has this happened previously ? i don't recall this in previous cap breaches or insolvency events.

Some people are really over the top. Salford have been punished within the rules of the game. you can not then decide to have a further punishment to suit your agenda or get a team in the play offs.

As for Mrs Garrido, it should be said she is a tory and against anything the labour run council try to do.

5 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

When has this happened previously ? i don't recall this in previous cap breaches or insolvency events.

Some people are really over the top. Salford have been punished within the rules of the game. you can not then decide to have a further punishment to suit your agenda or get a team in the play offs.

As for Mrs Garrido, it should be said she is a tory and against anything the labour run council try to do.

15 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The most fascinating part of a thread like this one is how it exposes and highlights the divisions and factions within this sport. It underlines our inability to see the wood for the trees. And it's just another nail in the coffin of the myth of the RL Family. We can look at the elections across the Pond and pretend we're superior in some way or other but our inability to accept defeat,  along with spreading nonsense & and unite to further the sport just explains why more than half a century has passed and the same arguments rage on & on & on and the sport remains as small and precarious as ever

13 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

They haven't been punished is the problem for many I think here. That's to say there is zero consequences to their punishment and all will be forgotten when they restart next year.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Have you come to this thread because you're worried another will take your tinpot club credentials 😂 

Apologies, I didn't realise threads about Salford were reserved for glory supporting home town (City) hating supporters.

Mods - feel free to remove my posts at Tommys behest! 😝

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Apologies, I didn't realise threads about Salford were reserved for glory supporting home town (City) hating supporters.

Mods - feel free to remove my posts at Tommys behest! 😝

Haha you don't know the first thing about me, though evidently I'm living in your head rent free 😂 What was it Mrs Thatcher said, you know you've won when they make it personal or something like that? 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Haha you don't know the first thing about me, though evidently I'm living in your head rent free 😂 What was it Mrs Thatcher said, you know you've won when they make it personal or something like that? 

Oh apologies, I could have sworn you admitted to being from Wakefield, hating Wakefield RLFC and supporting the Rhinos.

You must make things up as you go along then. Anyway rent free goodbyes, I am popping out. 

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They haven't been punished is the problem for many I think here. That's to say there is zero consequences to their punishment and all will be forgotten when they restart next year.

What do you want? Salford to be relegated? run SL with 10 teams. They have been punished within the rules of the game, the consequences were raised shortly before the initial punishment from 6 points.

Did Wigan or Saints suffer from the cap breaches in whatever way you want Salford punished? What was the consequences of their breaches?

Even with 6 points deducted we aren't bottom that would be Toronto.

I really don't know what you want other than to behave like Trump. 

Archived