Robert Elstone... Why?

Probably been discussed regarding his pre covid salary of £400,000 however we were chatting at work and wondered if Super League did merge back to the RFL if this pot of money became available how could it be best spent. One of the ideas that I think could work would to have RFL central development contracts. In this you are looking for players for the future. Maybe a panel of coaches or England schoolboys identifies the players and you could pay up to 18 players £20,000 a year say on a 3 year deal with the rest (£40,000) for costs of scouting etc. The idea of the contracts is the RFL has the contracted player and he is loaned back to his parent club (aimed at Championship/League 1) so rather than a player remaining part time he could earn a full time contract and develop which in turn would help his teammates get better raising the standard from the bottom up. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, del capo said:

What has  the  SL  move away from the RFL achieved so far ?

Recently heard that the RFL gave them a 1.6 million bailout from the Government loan to keep them going....

well he will be saving me money as now i know which grounds i wont bother going to from now on .

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Keeping Elstone because it’d cost too much to pay him off is a rather terrible reason to keep him. How can Robert Elstone earn 10 times as much as Super League players? Do Premier League football admins earn 10 times as much as Premier League footballers wages?

Well no, if they did they’d earn £100m a year. I do think RE’s salary is too high though, given the money in the game and the size of the game.

Robert Elstone took a pay cut to work for Super League

Elstone also quits Everton, believed to be taking a sizeable pay cut on his near £600,000 salary, aware that he will be expected to mend the seemingly fractured relationship between Super League and the Rugby Football League.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-faces-evertons-departing-chief-14719619

He has taken a further 40% cut in salary this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52151223

I may not agree with all of his decisions and he may have salted away some revenue over the years but be fair to the man his salary is chicken feed compared to CEO's in the major sports. As an Example I give you Tom Harrison CEO England Cricket who earned

The ECB's accounts for 2018-19 show that the governing body remunerated Harrison, its highest paid director, a total of £719,175 - up £114,301 from the previous year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7036389/ECB-chief-Tom-Harrison-enjoys-114-000-PAY-RISE-role-Hundred.html

He has since taken a 25% pay cut but I am sure can live quite comfortably on £ 539.382 pa 😡

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

42 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Keeping Elstone because it’d cost too much to pay him off is a rather terrible reason to keep him. How can Robert Elstone earn 10 times as much as Super League players? Do Premier League football admins earn 10 times as much as Premier League footballers wages?

That’s not what I posted. Have a read of what I was replying to

10 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Robert Elstone took a pay cut to work for Super League

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-faces-evertons-departing-chief-14719619

He has taken a further 40% cut in salary this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52151223

I may not agree with all of his decisions and he may have salted away some revenue over the years but be fair to the man his salary is chicken feed compared to CEO's in the major sports. As an Example I give you Tom Harrison CEO England Cricket who earned

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7036389/ECB-chief-Tom-Harrison-enjoys-114-000-PAY-RISE-role-Hundred.html

He has since taken a 25% pay cut but I am sure can live quite comfortably on £ 539.382 pa 😡

The turnover of the ECB in 2019/20 was £228 million.

Super League Europe was £8.7 million. 

So the turnover of the ECB is approximately 25x more than SLE. Comparing the size of the organisations Elstone seems very overpaid compared to Harrison. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

£400k, really? 

Probably more when you add in things like pension fund payments and general business expenses.

And I'm not even going to think about any performance pay bonuses....

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We don't like Elstone.

We don't like Rimmer. 

We don't like Woods

We don't like Lindsey

We don't like anyone.... 

Few have anything bad to say about Richard Lewis, the one you have missed off and the only "outsider" to get the job.

Quite so, but....

Licencing was not at all popular on this site, and I think the revival of Lewis's licencing idea to select next year's 12th SL team may not be universally liked on here, either. The archive doesn't seem to go much further back than 2010.

Personally,  I thought he was good for the game, but then, II don't dislike the others, either.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Elstone’s been in his position about two and a half years, so he’s taken roughly £1 million out of the game. Have we got value for money?

A big fat NO.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

We don't like Elstone.

We don't like Rimmer. 

We don't like Woods

We don't like Lindsey

We don't like anyone.... 

Pretty much in a nut shell, they were all a waste of space and fresh air.

I like V’Landys, and i liked Lindsay. 2 ideas men, who made the game change, having seen its potential. In both cases, you instantly knew what their vision was (and how much they believed in the game). Could anyone set out what Elstone’s vision is? 

8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I like V’Landys, and i liked Lindsay. 2 ideas men, who made the game change, having seen its potential. In both cases, you instantly knew what their vision was (and how much they believed in the game). Could anyone set out what Elstone’s vision is? 

That was a major point we were talking about. The gap between Super League and NRL is widening all the time and Origin has been for a number of years bigger than playing for your country if you are an Aussie. For the future of the sport in this country we need to try something different and we don't need pointless administrators that pipe up on social media and in the papers every now and then and say the obvious. Who gets promoted into Super League for 2021 is going to be Elstone's biggest decision I am not saying York should as I don't personally think we are ready but it's a massive test to see if he takes an easy option or thinks outside of the M62

10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Elstone doesn't have one.

Archived