Robert Elstone... Why?

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I dont trust Hetherington.

I do, I trust him to look after Leeds interests in much the same way as most clubs' chairpeople. There are about 2-3 who have the interests of the game as a whole in mind and more or less none of those are from Wigan.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

On the other hand does anybody have any confidence in Hetherington?

Well,he does love the sport sufficiently,to create a new club in a relative expansion area of south Yorkshire,all those decades ago.

His good lady also volunteered to work on behalf of another expansion club when Gateshead Thunder were parachuted into Super League - before being transferred to go to the assistance of a big club that had neither money or supporters.

Both Mr and Mrs H have spent more time in the sport,and got a bit dirt under their fingernails,than those with all the publicity and the silver spoons in their proverbial.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

27 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Well,he does love the sport sufficiently,to create a new club in a relative expansion area of south Yorkshire,all those decades ago.

His good lady also volunteered to work on behalf of another expansion club when Gateshead Thunder were parachuted into Super League - before being transferred to go to the assistance of a big club that had neither money or supporters.

Both Mr and Mrs H have spent more time in the sport,and got a bit dirt under their fingernails,than those with all the publicity and the silver spoons in their proverbial.

I like GH a great deal , He has brought far more to the game than he has taken out of it.

But didn't the Hetherington's transfer their franchises of those  two new  clubs to Huddersfield and Hull FC for a more than decent wedge in the day and thereby consigned those expansion clubs to  a world of struggle?

Not sure by what you mean about getting a bit of dirt under their fingernails ............

22 minutes ago, del capo said:

But didn't the Hetherington's transfer their franchises of those  two new  clubs to Huddersfield and Hull FC for a more than decent wedge in the day and thereby consigned those expansion clubs to  a world of struggle?

I've no idea about Gateshead (although I'm pretty sure Kath wasn't a majority shareholder) but you're utterly wrong about Sheffield.

Hetherington sold Sheffield Eagles in 1996 as a strong, profitable, solvent member of Super League and just three years later the clowns who had taken over had driven it into the ground and merged it with Huddersfield.

21 minutes ago, del capo said:

I like GH a great deal , He has brought far more to the game than he has taken out of it.

Not sure by what you mean about getting a bit of dirt under their fingernails ............

These are deep waters, Watson

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

I've no idea about Gateshead (although I'm pretty sure Kath wasn't a major shareholder) but you're utterly wrong about Sheffield. Hetherington sole Sheffield Eagles as a strong, profitable member of Super League in 1996 and just three years later the clowns who had taken over had driven it into the ground and merged it with Huddersfield.

I think you might need to have a look at wiki as to the history of Huddersfield - Sheffield .A million pounds was paid by the RFL to make that happen  in 1999. The arrangement then went into rapid decline before Sheffield returned to the lower leagues. Huddersfield  remained in SL.

A similar arrangement occurred between Gateshead and Hull FC  with I believe the same price involved. Also in 1999. The Guardian described it as a 'controversial ' arrangement  at the time . Kath either became  or was Hull FC chair at that point but relinquished ownership by sale  to Adam Pearson after a disaster  PR  2011 season for Hull who had become embroiled in player problems -Tansey and Gleeson to name just two -but had also attracted the wrath of the UK Doping Agencies pre Olympics because of  internal cover up's  - 2 of the senior back room staff had to go and questions as to who knew what  were being raised everywhere.

All a bit off thread so my apologies  if it's boring.

Meanwhile both Rugby Australia and even the mighty All Blacks  are  now urgently looking to PE to pump in investment and renovate their business models. Is this world spinning too fast ? Is there time to take a rain check ?

2 minutes ago, del capo said:

I think you might need to have a look at wiki as to the history of Huddersfield - Sheffield .A million pounds was paid by the RFL to make that happen  in 1999. The arrangement then went into rapid decline before Sheffield returned to the lower leagues. Huddersfield  remained in SL.

I know exactly what happened with Huddersfield/Sheffield but thanks for the reminder.

But it's absolutely nothing to do with the Hetheringtons who had sold the club years before.

I have known GH for years and I can tell you he is a thoroughly decent bloke and RL through and though.

GH and his wife have also been supporters of French rugby league for years especially Toulouse (As is Ian Lenegan) if Gary has made a decision it will be for the good of both Leeds Rhinos/Rugby League thats all.

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

I know exactly what happened with Huddersfield/Sheffield but thanks for the reminder.

But it's absolutely nothing to do with the Hetheringtons who had sold the club years before.

You should check the 19 million 5p share release in 1999  by the '  joint club ' followed by a  seemingly £1.5 million release  by the Sharks. Nothing to do with Directors / control - all to do with shareholders return.

But to be honest this Company House stuff / accountancy is well beyond me so I'll just leave it at that......

47 minutes ago, del capo said:

But to be honest this Company House stuff / accountancy is well beyond me so I'll just leave it at that......

Yeah I think you should as, when it comes to Sheffield Eagles and the Huddersfield-Sheffield merger, it looks like you've got completely the wrong end of the stick.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:18, Rupert Prince said:

On the other hand does anybody have any confidence in Hetherington?

His boss seems to do. That would be enough for most people.

I presume that you have heard the expression "whataboutery"?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:26, The Future is League said:

What i fine surprising it that Cas and Wakey voted for him and they don't meet his prescript.

Turkeys voting for Christmas in my opinion

He has a plan, really?!?!

Looking at the criteria for the 12th team in SL pretty much sums up why the sport will never grow. 

They will keep adding after the event criteria to weed clubs out, that they didn't want. 

They will then weight the criteria in different ways for each club, in such a way that justifies why the club they had already chosen before the criteria was introduced/dreamt up.

Next, they will come out with the customary "it was a very difficult decision, given the extremely high standard of the applications, but we have undertaken a very robust, rigorous and fair process to come to the right decision for the good of the long term success of the whole game".

Why come out with this rubbish everytime? Why not be honest about it? Surely nobody believes this tripe now?

The SL clubs are in trouble, they need money, the Archangel Elstone, has failed to get a better tv deal, so we'll promote Bradford because they will increase gates and bring more money into the game.

Finally, we will go back to no P&R and licensing, protecting them from relegation until we can find somebody else that will bring more money in, sorry, provide financial stability for the whole game in these difficult times.

In other words, rather than having a process to make a decision, they will make the process fit the decision they have made.

What is the point of paying Elstone a fortune if he is just going to do as the clubs say. Anyone can do that:

“The executive came up with a strong recommendation on Toronto and the truth is there’s a governance review under way at Super League.”

Elstone, the former Everton chief executive who is in his third year at the Super League helm, used the system in the Premier League to support his argument.

“Material decisions that impact the Premier League are taken by its shareholders – and that’s the clubs,” he said.

“If the Premier League decided it wanted to change the size of its competition or how promotion and relegation happens, that would be a process taken by the shareholders.

“The business of Super League is owned by its clubs and there’s therefore a strong case to say that big decisions should be taken by the owners of the businesses.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/robert-elstone-defends-right-of-clubs-to-vote-on-future-of-toronto-wolfpack/

3 hours ago, Damien said:

What is the point of paying Elstone a fortune if he is just going to do as the clubs say. Anyone can do that:

“The executive came up with a strong recommendation on Toronto and the truth is there’s a governance review under way at Super League.”

Elstone, the former Everton chief executive who is in his third year at the Super League helm, used the system in the Premier League to support his argument.

“Material decisions that impact the Premier League are taken by its shareholders – and that’s the clubs,” he said.

“If the Premier League decided it wanted to change the size of its competition or how promotion and relegation happens, that would be a process taken by the shareholders.

“The business of Super League is owned by its clubs and there’s therefore a strong case to say that big decisions should be taken by the owners of the businesses.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/robert-elstone-defends-right-of-clubs-to-vote-on-future-of-toronto-wolfpack/

He's been in the job 3 years and hasn't even covered his and his staffs wages yet, let alone brought more money into Super League. 

Who ever suggested bringing him into Super League in the first place really needs to hang their head in shame

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Well yeah that sadly is exactly the point.

The clubs are happy to see a huge slice of the business’s income spent on Elstone and staff... so long as he does what they tell him and they get to keep more of the ever diminishing pot rather than share it with Toronto etc.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

He's been in the job 3 years and hasn't even covered his and his staffs wages yet, let alone brought more money into Super League. 

Who ever suggested bringing him into Super League in the first place really needs to hang their head in shame

Step forward the SL Chairmen!

Archived