Robert Elstone... Why?

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh?

Indeed, but how dumb were the majority of SL chairmen to be sucked in by Elstone. There was a reason why Everton were glad to see the back of him.

Why didn't one of the chairmen ask someone in the know at Everton about Elstone time at the club?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He's been in the job 3 years and hasn't even covered his and his staffs wages yet, let alone brought more money into Super League. 

Who ever suggested bringing him into Super League in the first place really needs to hang their head in shame

But the Elstone and his staff Pizza bill is covered by Papa Johns lol

4 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

When the two most business savvy people in Super League in Eamonn McManus and Gary Hetherington don't think you are up to the task, you are not up to the task

Really? When did they say that and what did they say?

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where EAMONN holds a current appointment equals £956.6k, a combined total current assets value of £2.9m with a total current liabilities of £37m and a total current net worth of £19.7m. Roles associated with Mr Eamonn Mcmanus within the recorded businesses include: Director

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where GARY holds a current appointment equals £1.9m, a combined total current assets value of £14.2m with a total current liabilities of £11m and a total current net worth of £19.4m. Roles associated with Mr Gary Hetherington within the recorded businesses include: Director

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where IAN holds a current appointment equals £777.6k, a combined total current assets value of £11.8m with a total current liabilities of £30.5m and a total current net worth of £-15.9m. Roles associated with Mr Ian Francis Lenagan within the recorded businesses include: Director, Company Secretary

42 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Really? When did they say that and what did they say?

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where EAMONN holds a current appointment equals £956.6k, a combined total current assets value of £2.9m with a total current liabilities of £37m and a total current net worth of £19.7m. Roles associated with Mr Eamonn Mcmanus within the recorded businesses include: Director

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where GARY holds a current appointment equals £1.9m, a combined total current assets value of £14.2m with a total current liabilities of £11m and a total current net worth of £19.4m. Roles associated with Mr Gary Hetherington within the recorded businesses include: Director

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where IAN holds a current appointment equals £777.6k, a combined total current assets value of £11.8m with a total current liabilities of £30.5m and a total current net worth of £-15.9m. Roles associated with Mr Ian Francis Lenagan within the recorded businesses include: Director, Company Secretary

Utterly irrelevant to their performance in rugby league.

One is a proven Rugby League administrator with a track record across several decades of success on and off the field.

The second of them have made a more than passable attempt to bring order to an historically financial basket case club whilst retaining their position atop the UK game.

And then there's Ian Lenagan who's  been wrong on a whole series of major Rugby League decisions and whose club runs at ever-increasing losses.

49 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Quoting Eamonn McManus

Exactly. So second hand. If McManus has all the skills necessary to be the sucessful business man he is, (ditto Hetherington) how come he and H could not persuade the incapable and incompetent minnows who own the other clubs.

I happen to be dissapointed at the decision made by the owners but refuse to join in the lamost -compulsory rubbishing of whoever is at the top of SL or RFL.

As Elstone says, it's the owners that make the decisions.

Just now, JohnM said:

Exactly. So second hand. If McManus has all the skills necessary to be the sucessful business man he is, (ditto Hetherington) how come he and H could not persuade the incapable and incompetent minnows who own the other clubs.

I happen to be dissapointed at the decision made by the owners but refuse to join in the lamost -compulsory rubbishing of whoever is at the top of SL or RFL.

So who has more business acumen Elstone or Eamonn Mcmanus?

Or who more competent of running a club. Gary Hetherington or Michael Carter?

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Wasn't McManus one of the Chairmen who introduced the Media to Robert Elstone?

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

So who has more business acumen Elstone or Eamonn Mcmanus?

Or who more competent of running a club. Gary Hetherington or Michael Carter?

Irrelevant question, and this is why. Enstone might have more business acumen than McManus but how would any of us know, as it is all so subjective. Clearly you think that McManus has more business acumen than Carter. How much more? 1%?  3.5%?  76.347%?  1,000,000,001%

It appears Carter was deputy MD of Yorkshire Traction when it was sold  for £26 million about 15 years ago.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Irrelevant question, and this is why. Enstone might have more business acumen than McManus but how would any of us know, as it is all so subjective. Clearly you think that McManus has more business acumen than Carter. How much more? 1%?  3.5%?  76.347%?  1,000,000,001%

It appears Carter was deputy MD of Yorkshire Traction when it was sold  for £26 million about 15 years ago.

Answer the questiom

Just now, JohnM said:

Its an  irrelevant and pointless.   I any case, you think you know the answer, so you enlighten us as to your real point.

That 2 businessmen with proven records of growing revenues at clubs to make them sustainable businesses, one with intimate experience of success with both heartland and expansion sides, have been involved in the game for many years, probably have a bit more acumen and credit in the RL management bank than the others. Its not hard.

Saints Chairman, Eamonn McManus participated in the press conference in his capacity as a director of Super League. He commented as follows.

“Super League is thrilled to announce the appointment of Robert Elstone as our new CEO. His proven professional background at the highest levels of sport, the media and commerce is complemented by a burning passion for, and deep knowledge of, our sport. I have never known Super League clubs to be more unified and to have such a sense of purpose to improve the quality, performance and value of Super League

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2018/06/12/st-helens-support-elstone-appointment/

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its an  irrelevant and pointless.   I any case, you think you know the answer, so you enlighten us as to your real point.

So who would you want running your club on a day to day basis Hetherington or Carter?

Who would you want to own your club McManus or Elstone?

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That 2 businessmen with proven records of growing revenues at clubs to make them sustainable businesses, one with intimate experience of success with both heartland and expansion sides, have been involved in the game for many years, probably have a bit more acumen and credit in the RL management bank than the others. Its not hard.

See my post above.  If people have a personal animosity to Elstone, I wonder how they feel about his supporters, such as McManus.

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

So who would you want running your club on a day to day basis Hetherington or Carter?

Who would you want to own your club McManus or Elstone?

None of the above. My club is doing just fine, thank you.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

See my post above.  If people have a personal animosity to Elstone, I wonder how they feel about his supporters, such as McManus.

McManus has changed his tune. He wasn't happy with the previous arrangement with the RFL and isn't happy with how Elstone has ran things either?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Saints Chairman, Eamonn McManus participated in the press conference in his capacity as a director of Super League. He commented as follows.

“Super League is thrilled to announce the appointment of Robert Elstone as our new CEO. His proven professional background at the highest levels of sport, the media and commerce is complemented by a burning passion for, and deep knowledge of, our sport. I have never known Super League clubs to be more unified and to have such a sense of purpose to improve the quality, performance and value of Super League

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2018/06/12/st-helens-support-elstone-appointment/

I'm pleased someone pointed this out, I thought my memory was failing me (again?)

The reality is that McManus was front and centre in Elstone's appointment, yet only two years later moved a vote of no-confidence in him. Perhaps a little humility might be in order from him? 

Gary Hetherington has at least been consistent. He was dead against the SL breakaway (and, by extension, the appointment of a SL supremo). His backing the no-confidence motion simply confirms that view.

Just now, Red Willow said:

Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but Elstone was on Radio Manchester last night, He put Jack Dearden right when he said there are 2 governing bodies. Elstone role is to market SL.

Mornin' Red Willow,

1) Was it an RL show or just a news clip?

2) Putting jack Dearden right is not an accomplishment!

3) If that's his role where's the marketing?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived