#HeartlandExpansion

Gav Wilson

What you do for the kneets  Gav is nothing short of brilliance. York is a fantastic team, with great supporters and superb backing staff and volunteers. I do feel that this would change if we go down the super greed route. I’m not a nay sayer or doom monger. I love rugby but feel that SL is not the route York should follow. My apologies if this rocks the boat. UTK. 

Would love to see us in super league not that I like the format of the competition. But I’m a great believer that it’s what you do on the field that counts and we’re not quite there yet

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

If the RFL give us the chance I’d snap their hands off. Much rather do it on the field but I’d hate if the club didn’t at least explore the option  and we never got to see our club in Super League. 

From an expansion point of view it makes more sense putting us in than Fev where you’d then have a quarter of the division within a 10 mile radius of each other, or Leigh where you’d have a third of the league within 15 miles or so. We at least have the country’s biggest county to ourselves, plus it’s a destination where the majority of away supporters would want to visit, a lot would come for the weekend. Certainly can’t see many wanting a weekend in Featherstone.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, YCKonstantine said:

As a fan I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if this was the way we got into SL. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in dreaming of that playoff win that would get us there, but it would be idiotic to turn it down should the opportunity arise.

Too true every club would accept the invitation, so why not ask?.

Great discussion. The 2 main reasons I’ve seen as to why York shouldn’t go up are we aren’t ready for it and it wouldn’t be fair as it’s not been earned.....

Are we ready? I’m not sure. But then again after only just beating South Wales (later to become West Wales) in 2017 I didn’t think we were ready for the playoffs but we got there. I didn’t think losing at Oxford (!!!) that season S howed we were ready to beat Toronto just 3 months later. Nor did I think a very lucky win at London Skolars in 2018 would be followed by an incredible win a week later at Odsal. Likewise few predicted a 3rd place finish in 2019. I am convinced if we somehow got the nod we wouldn’t disgrace ourselves.

Is it fair? I dunno. Yes I’d prefer to stuff Bradford in a final to secure promotion.

But rugby league is rarely fair. Was it fair when both Hunslet and Leigh have been denied promotion due to their grounds, meanwhile Cas and Wakey have had more breaks than Steve Davis over their grounds. Was it fair when Catalans were exempt from relegation and Cas who finished on 19 points (enough to get in the playoffs on occasions!) were relegated? Or how about when Wigan who were staring relegation in the face decided the salary cap didn’t apply to them and signed Fielden? Huddersfield with an endless run of bottom place finishes before merging with Sheffield? Gateshead been merged...sorry ditched when Hull merged with them (Newcastle have done well to come back)? Part time Fev having to travel to Toulouse then Toronto in an aim to gain promotion? Salford (twice) and St Helens deciding if they can’t win with 13 on the field they’ll chuck an extra player on the pitch and hope nobody notices. 

Life isn’t fair, and if York get the nod I’m sure after a while the jibes would die down. My gut feeling is Fev will get in, and if so I’ll be pleased for them, they’ve made some real progress off the pitch - I have a feeling if clubs get to vote then Cas, Wakey and Leeds will go for Fev purely for the crowds, those votes could be crucial.

The potential for Super League to have a forward thinking club in a new area for the league, in a 'destination' city can only be a good thing. With the positive reputation within the wider community, including from a business perspective, the work done with the community clubs in the area - let's not forget there are three youngsters from these clubs in the squad for next season - and the positive work the Foundation does would only grow stronger if we were in Super League.

Oh, and there's a rather nice stadium waiting which will look rather good on television. Positivity that we can do this and make a success of it is what's required here. Throw in what we can offer, the Knights have more than a fighting chance of competing for the twelfth spot.

While it would be better to earn a spot in SL on the pitch, that isn't an option here. So what we must do is portray the club in the best light, highlight the positives and the benefits. After all, this is essentially a competition between the clubs that believe they would be a good addition to the competition.

Stadium? One of the best in RL in this country.
Location? Would be the only SL club in 30 miles yet is easily accessible by those in the M62 corridor and vice versa. A big, destination city which people want to visit for days/weekends out. Is there another club, a city, which can offer a better matchday experience for home and visiting fans?
A new demographic for the game. An affluent city with new people and businesses who haven't perhaps been involved with rugby league before, at least not in the top tier. Therefore, UK growth, heartland expansion.

Best English team outside of Super League in 2019 and a squad built to continue that in 2021. An off-field feel good factor which rightfully gets praise from other clubs, Super League clubs, and pundits. Listen to the Sky Sports Golden Point podcast with Fordy for more of that.

Great work in the community. LDRL and Ladies' teams, therefore boosting participation in the sport. 

Let's have a bit more confidence in the club and it's potential, shall we? This time it isn't one to be earned on the field. It's off the field, it's business plans and what clubs can offer to Super League - can anyone offer more than us?

On 04/11/2020 at 13:05, AB Knight said:

I have a feeling if clubs get to vote then Cas, Wakey and Leeds will go for Fev purely for the crowds, those votes could be crucial.

I think you could be wrong there, AB. The hot rumour is that the major SL clubs would go for York !

Fev , through no fault of their own have been an unfashionable club , always been the brunt of mining , whippet's and flat cap jokes , hardly fits in with the superleague image , shame cos on the field they are a match for many.

18 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Fev , through no fault of their own have been an unfashionable club , always been the brunt of mining , whippet's and flat cap jokes , hardly fits in with the superleague image , shame cos on the field they are a match for many.

The image you actually give to Featherstone is the image that portrays the game in general. It's tried and failed on many occasions to be otherwise. Fev should fit in nicely.😏

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DEANO said:

This was my question on the general forum. No satisfactory answer given

Jon Flatman is on Radio York tonight, they’ve been asking people to send questions in. I’d say he’s the man to answer that one.  

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

2 minutes ago, Clarence Street said:

Enjoyed the interview with Jon Flatman tonight and he allayed any fears I had of applying. I was a bit puzzled as to why he seemed to evade the question about Mark Campbell though. Sharon had to ask him 3 times but still didn't get a straight answer.

Maybe if York are successful in their bid ahead of Fev then Mark Campbell may become more involved. I believe he is a joint trustee of the Foundation. 

3 minutes ago, Clarence Street said:

Cheers Mike. If that's the case why be so cagey about it?

Quite often businesses have silent partners who are involved for various reasons, be it for friendship or whatever. It’s entirely up to Jon and Mark whether this gets disclosed to the public and I’m sure they have their reasons.

I for one couldn’t give a monkeys, the Knights are in the best shape they’ve ever been and we’re looking like serious contenders for Super League both on and off the field, and as long as the people that are involved aren’t the people who used to be then it’s all good as far as I’m concerned. 

Archived