First Christmas Card of the season

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

My first card of the season arrived today.

What a load of bolclocks

A friend has put up her Christmas tree to keep her company during the lockdown.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I quite enjoy it myself.

Decent scram on the day itself.

Time away from work and some relaxing time with booze and treats watching beloved old films.

hasnt that just been the whole of 2020 since april anyway?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

My first card of the season arrived today.

What a load of bolclocks

was it from churchill insurance? i got a birthday card from them once- when i switched to esure they never bothered again- how crass and hollow!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

hasnt that just been the whole of 2020 since april anyway?

I’ve worked at home constantly since March but I take your point.

Christmas has got its pressures, not least everybody feeling the need to live up to the constructed heavily marketed image of family bliss.

I think when you make peace with the idea that ‘your Christmas’ could be something else other than what’s advertised, you can take something from it.

No Nativity this year because the 3 Wise Men face a travel ban.
The shepherds have been furloughed.
The Inn keeper has shut under tier 3 regulations and had a slump in bookings.
Santa won't be working as he would break the rule of 6 with Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donner and Blitzen.
As for Rudolph, with that red nose, he should be isolating and taking a test.😂😂

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Less of that on this forum please !

Normally I'm quite intolerant and often rant on here about the massed lights before December, but this year, I think I'll not grumble and accept that some people need a bit of extra cheer this year.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

17 hours ago, Spidey said:

I’m normally against Christmas coming too early. But really don’t mind this year. Anything to cheer people up 👍🏼

Aye, the garden centre near us has a Christmas display (for charity) that goes up each year in November and Little Ginger enjoys (it features oversized singing penguins, that sort of thing). This year it went up in September. Normally I'd roll my eyes and mutter. But this year has been so all over the place that it was actually really welcome.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

was it from churchill insurance? i got a birthday card from them once- when i switched to esure they never bothered again- how crass and hollow!

Did you send them one back? Imagine how upset they must be not getting anything in return 

17 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve worked at home constantly since March but I take your point.

Christmas has got its pressures, not least everybody feeling the need to live up to the constructed heavily marketed image of family bliss.

I think when you make peace with the idea that ‘your Christmas’ could be something else other than what’s advertised, you can take something from it.

Xmas 2018 we had everybody down to us, house packed. Xmas 2019 I said to my wife we should cut it back a bit, as despite telling me she enjoys cooking on Xmas day, her face doesn't say that when she dishes up (I have offered to cook). So just the in-laws were planned, and they pulled out though illness. Just the 4 of us in 2019 (me, wife and 2 kids). It was bliss. Stress free, no timetables to stick to or other peoples perceptions/traditions as to how Xmas should be. Afterwards my wife was pondering how to break it to her parents that we might do it again (her Mum has a big thing about getting together at Xmas) - and then Covid came along. Every cloud..............

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I need to see this !

I’ll see if I can locate one of the old photos and videos

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

I’m normally against Christmas coming too early. But really don’t mind this year. Anything to cheer people up 👍🏼

I usually moan like a good 'un if I see house decorations/shop displays going up too early, but in our local paper there was a piece about a group of mums from different schools who have all decided to put Christmas decorations on the outside of their houses at the start of October so as to cheer up kiddies on their way to and from school and to give passers by a bit of a cheer up, and hopefully get a few more people to do it as well. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

22 hours ago, ckn said:

A friend has put up her Christmas tree to keep her company during the lockdown.

image.png.0f55be6daf6a5ceff035c600583a1d5a.png This is a cat from Larkhill Place in Salford Museum which would do the same job!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Maybe a toned down christmas this year will let people take stock of the whole overblown thing and drive down peoples ambitions of what they have to do to have a 'great' christmas.

I would normally really grump about people starting the whole thing too early, but I think this year I will cut people some slack.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived