State of origin expansion

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2020 at 15:54, iangidds said:

Im sure there is so many reasons that people can find to say no but I feel that there is an opportunity to take the biggest event we have to a wider audience by addjng two more fixtures per season?

The hype that origin has would sell out a wembley , tottenham  , old trafford and im sure would sell alot of tickets in the US or maybe even France? 

Our game needs constant shots in the arms to survive in this sporting environment i believe.

It wouldn’t because most people in the UK, France and the US have never heard of state of origin and wouldn’t have a clue what it is. It’s big business down under and will sell well in Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth or even Auckland, but that’s probably as far as the expansion will be a success.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Make state of Origin an annual one game affair and bring back the 3 test trans-Tasman series.

State of Origin is often the most watched programme in Australia - full stop. Not just sport, any TV programme. That is why it is 3-games, that is why it is going nowhere. 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

State of Origin is often the most watched programme in Australia - full stop. Not just sport, any TV programme. That is why it is 3-games, that is why it is going nowhere. 

I don’t doubt any of that marra. It’s a behemoth that’s slowly killing international RL unfortunately.

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I don’t doubt any of that marra. It’s a behemoth that’s slowly killing international RL unfortunately.

Agree totally. The only upside is it is so far up itself that it is, by definition, hurting the Australian national side. Players like Lui, Tupou, Paulo are playing Origin and defecting to Island nations which is good for the WC at least. Australia have only won 2 of their last 4 tests.

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

It’s not killing International Rugby League. The planned Oceania Cup was going to be superb. If anything, the International game is thriving in the Southern Hemisphere due to the strength of the Tongans in recent years, the growth of PNG through the PNG Hunters, the growth of the Fijians with a Fijian side joining the Qld/NSW Cup soon and Samoa able to call upon some big names. That’s before you mention Australia and New Zealand. 

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Agree totally. The only upside is it is so far up itself that it is, by definition, hurting the Australian national side. Players like Lui, Tupou, Paulo are playing Origin and defecting to Island nations which is good for the WC at least. Australia have only won 2 of their last 4 tests.

Good point. This is good to see and I hope more follow suit.

just wish ponga could play for NZ and hope Crichton opts for Samoa over the Aussie come World Cup time.

Intentional Rugby League could have a golden period in the next decade as the Pacific teams become stronger and stronger due to the number of eligible players in the NRL.

We could easily see 5, 6 or 7 teams who are able to beat each other on any given day.

I am not saying the NRL has planned the strengthening of the international game and it could just be a byproduct of NRL searching for the best available talent but I am not complaining. 

The key will be to get these teams to play each other often enough for the momentum to build.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not killing International Rugby League. The planned Oceania Cup was going to be superb. If anything, the International game is thriving in the Southern Hemisphere due to the strength of the Tongans in recent years, the growth of PNG through the PNG Hunters, the growth of the Fijians with a Fijian side joining the Qld/NSW Cup soon and Samoa able to call upon some big names. That’s before you mention Australia and New Zealand. 

State of Origin gets 1st pick of the best players. 

if they become superstars of the game let’s see if Crichton picks Samoa and Coates picks PNG over Aussie come World Cup time.

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

State of Origin gets 1st pick of the best players. 

if they become superstars of the game let’s see if Crichton picks Samoa and Coates picks PNG over Aussie come World Cup time.

Right. That’s fine. It doesn’t detract from the strength of the Southern Hemisphere nations as proven by Australia’s recent record at International level, whilst also seeing Great Britain laughably getting whitewashed by everyone last year. 

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Intentional Rugby League could have a golden period in the next decade as the Pacific teams become stronger and stronger due to the number of eligible players in the NRL.

We could easily see 5, 6 or 7 teams who are able to beat each other on any given day.

I am not saying the NRL has planned the strengthening of the international game and it could just be a byproduct of NRL searching for the best available talent but I am not complaining. 

The key will be to get these teams to play each other often enough for the momentum to build.

We have to play games though.... and lots of them. Token tests just won't register.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Right. That’s fine. It doesn’t detract from the strength of the Southern Hemisphere nations as proven by Australia’s recent record at International level, whilst also seeing Great Britain laughably getting whitewashed by everyone last year. 

I don’t disagree with any of that as long as they are allowed to put out their best teams.

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

This. Also at least play a test in Tonga and Samoa every year inside of playing in parramatta or Campbeltown etc.

Neither country has a decent stadium and both are dirt poor too, so they can only make money playing in Parramatta, Campbeltown etc.

Archived