New Funding Gap in Super League next season

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I was expecting 11 sides for 2021 for the reason that SL clubs wouldn’t want to reduce their remuneration. This despite the problems such as the magic weekend fixtures and byes through the season that would be created.
Having avoided this issue, they are not really wanting to give any more than they have to. It isn’t a good look for SL. It comes across as either desperate or mean spirited, perhaps a bit of both.

I wonder if it's time for some 'outside the box' thinking here...

I wonder if 'sugar-daddy' clubs such as Warrington, Leeds et al would accept a shortfall in funding compared to other clubs, in order to support the new SL club, and in exchange for an exemption from the salary cap. Seems fair to me that if those clubs pay a bigger contribution to the league, they have the right to spend more money on their squads?

And this is from someone who was an ardent supporter of the salary cap.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, redjonn said:

My question still applies... they may be getting the same funding as other clubs for the period that the yearly payment covers.  That's my query.

Just asking what the facts as to what the period of time the funding covers.  Maybe its starts Nov to Nov. As you say simples if the amount includes months like this month.

It may well be from start of season in which case doesn't seem fair.  Never-the-less that may not be the case.

I don't really see how it makes a difference tbh. From the moment they're accepted in they're a Super League club. Indeed in most cases of promotion there is a large initial piece of funding paid then the club often claims against future TV income to get an advance - all in recognition of how the newly promoted side needs to invest heavily. 

The season begins in December with preseason and the start of new contracts and ends the following end of November as contracts end.

1 minute ago, super major said:

Not according to the article quoted which clearly states the other clubs will not be getting full funding either. Do you know what they are getting?

They already stated they'd be getting around 230k less per annum as a result of that money being advanced by Sky during the lockdown. Not quite 800k less.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They already stated they'd be getting around 230k less per annum as a result of that money being advanced by Sky during the lockdown. Not quite 800k less.

Fair enough,but they aren't exactly stealing this money as they could as easily just kept 11 clubs

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You are 100% right on this one which is why strict conditions have to be laid at the doors of clubs that have poor facilities with a timeframe for upgrades or new stadiums which has this time to be adhered to or GOODBYE.

Agree in theory, but that has risks on both sides and would probably need to be accompanied by a return to licensing, which has it's own risks

It ought to focus the minds of the clubs on the right side of the line, but how long have they got to make the improvements? At the same time, what incentives are there for clubs the wrong side of the line to build facilities without a guarantee that they'll get to the top flight in due course?

Basically, done wrongly/badly it's a recipe for shrinking SL - booting clubs (rightly) for not keeping up, but without a tranche of clubs waiting in the wings to replace them. Similar worst case scenario would be (without expansion) Fev/York or whoever blowing a load of cash on SL standard facilities and patiently waiting for the licensing review only to find when it comes round that Wakey and Cas have sorted their grounds out and there's no appetite for expansion...

I struggle to see any way forward that isn't (as usual) just a different can of worms sadly.

What would happen with the SKY contract if no other club agreed to those terms? leaving the SL as an 11 team league. Not sure if its fact, but have read a few times that SKY insist on 12 teams at least. That could of course be completely untrue.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, super major said:

Fair enough,but they aren't exactly stealing this money as they could as easily just kept 11 clubs

They may as well have done. The 12th club is not going to be able to afford to compete or bring together a strong enough squad. They've essentially agreed to stave off relegation for another year. I hope whomever comes up does a London and takes the jokers at the bottom of super league to the wire.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

This is a reasonable compromise to ensure 12 clubs in straitened times, with no crowds for 8 months and no certainty when they will return.

Looks ever more likely that Toulouse will be in. I’m hoping so anyway.

A reasonable compromise would be all clubs reducing their funding to the same level. Not having a club parachuted in with less money for no legitimate reason.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

A reasonable compromise would be all clubs reducing their funding to the same level. Not having a club parachuted in with less money for no legitimate reason.

Possibly but we don’t know yet if there is a quid pro quo, such as Toulouse having a Catalans-style indemnity. 

36 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I wonder if it's time for some 'outside the box' thinking here...

I wonder if 'sugar-daddy' clubs such as Warrington, Leeds et al would accept a shortfall in funding compared to other clubs, in order to support the new SL club, and in exchange for an exemption from the salary cap. Seems fair to me that if those clubs pay a bigger contribution to the league, they have the right to spend more money on their squads?

And this is from someone who was an ardent supporter of the salary cap.

I think a salary cap tax system is eminently sensible - i.e. set % reduction in central funding for a set % increase in cap (subject to a limit).

Not sure if you could get a majority of clubs to vote for it though although the rewards depending on which side of the fence you sit might be worth it.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Just when you thought Superleague couldn’t sink any lower,they really are turning the sport in this country into a laughing stock.

I think the pretence that they care about the wider game at all is really damaged in the past few days

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s tough times, Tommy. More or less every business is in survival mode and rugby league is no different.

Most businesses are coming together though, Burger King is helping McDonalds. This is desperate scavenging, not working together for mutual survival. 

Archived