French team to support

Eddie

I need an Elite 1 team to support. Preferably a traditional club with a strong fan base (not sure what sort of crowds Elite 1 teams get mind you) and potential, but who haven’t won anything recently (I’m not glory hunting), and have a nice jersey. Any suggestions? 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I need an Elite 1 team to support. Preferably a traditional club with a strong fan base (not sure what sort of crowds Elite 1 teams get mind you) and potential, but who haven’t won anything recently (I’m not glory hunting), and have a nice jersey. Any suggestions? 

Used to follow RC Roanne XIII when they were in Elite 2 after touring the area with Cumbria in the 80s,unfortunately they have declined over the years and are now down in National 2,they were a great bunch of people who loved RL.

29 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Villeneuve are traditionally successful but have not won any trophies for seventeen years

34 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Avignon

Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea what sort of attendances those two get? Or any other Elite 1 teams? 

Carcassonne are the team that are the most active on social media, nice shirt too and one of the few to offer merchandise as Avignon do i think! 

I'm a lezignan man myself as my boys play there, great little ground, nice shirt. Always pushing for honors. 

Limoux is like a little England with a rugby mad town. 

Palau nice place but  alot of people there are crazy! But funny crazy. 

St gaudens I've not much info on them, nice ground rebuilding and doi g quite well

Villeneuve as most of the teams has a nice old fashioned ground and will have a good team on the field this year, 

Toulouse reserves are a bit of a lost team and their team depends on the first team etc

Xiii catalans is a very very young team and have  a bit of a we're the best and do you know who we are attitude. 

Avignon great stadium, great youth set up and nice shirt. 

Albi is a team going forward too, great place, nice ground but an orange shirt! 

39 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Used to follow RC Roanne XIII when they were in Elite 2 after touring the area with Cumbria in the 80s,unfortunately they have declined over the years and are now down in National 2,they were a great bunch of people who loved RL.

Steve Lane used to play for them as well 

In this article I was pleasantly surprised at the budgets of most of the French teams as they compare favourably to the Championship:

The French press has revealed the budgets for nine of the 10 French Elite 1 Championship sides for the 2020/21 season.

The three top spending clubs are St Esteve, Lezignan and Carcassonne, all spending in the region of €700,000 (approx £630,000).

Lezignan €700,000

St Esteve €700,000

Carcassonne €700,000

Villeneuve €500,000

Albi €450,000

Limoux €450,000

Avignon €350,000

St Gaudens €280,000

Palau €200,000

Toulouse N/A

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-round-up-toulouse-open-with-a-win-as-elite-1-gets-underway-plus-club-budgets-revealed/

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

In this article I was pleasantly surprised at the budgets of most of the French teams as they compare favourably to the Championship:

The French press has revealed the budgets for nine of the 10 French Elite 1 Championship sides for the 2020/21 season.

The three top spending clubs are St Esteve, Lezignan and Carcassonne, all spending in the region of €700,000 (approx £630,000).

Lezignan €700,000

St Esteve €700,000

Carcassonne €700,000

Villeneuve €500,000

Albi €450,000

Limoux €450,000

Avignon €350,000

St Gaudens €280,000

Palau €200,000

Toulouse N/A

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-round-up-toulouse-open-with-a-win-as-elite-1-gets-underway-plus-club-budgets-revealed/

YES budgets have always been published its a wonderful world where the maire coughs up the dosh:)

Also these figures are way down on 15 years ago.

Paul

Anyone know about attendances? I’m sure Barnyia has kindly said about this before but I can’t find it. I’m undecided between Villeneuve, Avignon and Lezignan, don’t really want to support a team living in the shadow of a professional Union club (Carcassonne or Albi). 

6 hours ago, barnyia said:

Carcassonne are the team that are the most active on social media, nice shirt too and one of the few to offer merchandise as Avignon do i think! 

I'm a lezignan man myself as my boys play there, great little ground, nice shirt. Always pushing for honors. 

Limoux is like a little England with a rugby mad town. 

Palau nice place but  alot of people there are crazy! But funny crazy. 

St gaudens I've not much info on them, nice ground rebuilding and doi g quite well

Villeneuve as most of the teams has a nice old fashioned ground and will have a good team on the field this year, 

Toulouse reserves are a bit of a lost team and their team depends on the first team etc

Xiii catalans is a very very young team and have  a bit of a we're the best and do you know who we are attitude. 

Avignon great stadium, great youth set up and nice shirt. 

Albi is a team going forward too, great place, nice ground but an orange shirt! 

Carcassonne great little club highlight France v Tonga in the 2000 WC 

Lezignan used to visit a very nice restaurant near to the ground was brilliant 

Limoux best time is the week of the clowns 

Palau YES ALL CRAZY in Palau LOL:)

St Gardens have been 4/5 times however they were always TV matches played at the athletics ground as they needed floodlights always a great after match party serving sardines:)))

Toulouse I agree but love the old stadium have fond memories of the win v Widnes on the BBC in 2005 it was the day my 15 year old was born 

X111 Catalans They certainly are:(  I preferred the old St Esteve club they used to play wonderful rugby which was fantastic to watch 1998/2001

Avignon used to stay in a lovely village nearby called Althen De Palau the owner of the hotel became a good friend and sometimes visits us in Spain I also remember going into a local bar and everyone was speaking Provencal which was wonderful to hear:) good place also to stay when Carpentras were in Elite 1 I remember them playing Limoux on TV.

Albi great potential remember the France v South Africa match in the 2000 WC 🙂

Paul

3 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Tournedos the restaurant on the round about in lezignan 

Thats the one:) had a meal there with Carlos a couple of times 🙂

I must touch base soon with Hughes Ratier I see he is on a very strong list for the FFR13 presidency along with several ex players.

I see there’s teams from Marseille, Lyon, Montpellier and Toulon in the lower divisions. Shame a few of us haven’t got millions of pounds each to spunk on buying them and get some high profile Elite 1 expansion going. If I won Euromillions I’d have Marseille XIII playing in the Velodrome in no time 😀

Archived