Ottawa Aces

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statement here:

The Ottawa Aces announce that after much consultation, and deliberation, it was decided that in consideration of the best long-term interests of the Club, the competition, and the sport, and as agreed between the RFL and the Club to defer the Aces entry into the RFL league structure to the 2022 season. 

This decision was not taken lightly and is due to the ongoing proliferation of COVID-19 cases across the UK, and increasing numbers across Ontario, that cast doubt on the ability to travel freely between Canada and the UK in 2021.

The Aces organization will focus on making sure all players and staff are given the support they need during this difficult time. All current season ticket deposits will be honoured for the 2022 season. 

The Aces would like to thank the RFL, OSEG, our corporate partners, and fans for their ongoing support. The Aces remains a proud member of the RFL and will now concentrate efforts on the future, and focus on bringing professional Rugby League to TD Place Stadium in 2022. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57320/statement--ottawa-aces

Its not particularly what I like to see but it makes complete sense. It would have been crazy to start a new club next year with Covid.

A plan and strategy needs to be agreed in the meantime on how the game can make Ottawa, and hopefully Toronto, work.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its not particularly what I like to see but it makes complete sense. It would have been crazy to start a new club next year with Covid.

A plan and strategy needs to be agree in the meantime on how the game can make Ottawa, and hopefully Toronto, work.

Exactly, we still don't know for sure if there even will be a League 1 in 2021 yet.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Exactly, we still don't know for sure if there even will be a League 1 in 2021 yet.

I’m not sure whether there will even be a Championship next year, let alone L1. If fans can’t return to stadiums, which seems more and more unlikely until Covid numbers are consistently low, then there seems no way RL at this level can operate.

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Serious question: why would anyone want to start a pro rugby league club in Ottawa?

That’s a question that could be asked of anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere at this time. Even if the game, it’s administration and fans were welcoming of new clubs (which generally we know is not the case), the current pandemic, along with the economic fallout associated with it would mean that both financially and logistically getting any new venture off the ground is going to be very difficult. One that also brings in the complications of transatlantic travel, at a time when multiple travel restrictions remain in place, must make it nigh on impossible.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Thus is a good point and possibly deserves a thread.

Will the Championship start up next year?  When will spectators start next season.  When will the season start. 

And PS... What teams will be able to play in the Cup?

Who can blame them. What is already a very difficult task of getting a professional team up and running in a city and country new to the sport is made all the more daunting by the most incompetent sporting body in the world and all this will have to be done in the face of mindless hatred directed towards them by at least half of the sports fanbase. 

They'd be better off starting a soccer or RU club.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Serious question: why would anyone want to start a pro rugby league club in Ottawa?

It might have made sense with the Wolfpack in Super League (though it’s colder and more of a faff to get to than Toronto) pre-Covid but it’s a good question when SLE has found there is no value in having a Canadian club. It’s got me stumped!

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A good question.  In my opinion most of the L1 and Championship should be amateur anyway.  And next season is still under a cloud.  Maybe a tier that could be "open", that is amateur but could pay a limited number of players if they could afford.  In any event how can teams afford to travel away to them?

As such it makes it difficult to see teams like them jumping straight in without serious finance.  But surely following the TWP debacle, they need a foundation and developing their own players as well.

The silver lining of this could be the potential of Toronto and Ottawa restarting in L1 in 2022. I wont hold my breath and there are numerous hurdles to that, not least deeply rooted institutionalized rot in the governing of the game, but it would be a spark of hope. 

3736-mipm.gif

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The silver lining of this could be the potential of Toronto and Ottawa restarting in L1 in 2022. I wont hold my breath and there are numerous hurdles to that, not least deeply rooted institutionalized rot in the governing of the game, but it would be a spark of hope. 

The only ' hurdle ' is money 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The only ' hurdle ' is money 

That's a hurdle, not the only one.

3736-mipm.gif

Archived